NVIDIA Clock Domains: Information now right in front of us.

Arun

Unknown.
Legend
It seems like the new "NVPerfKit 1.0 RC1" allows you to see the different clock domains, at least it does on my 6800GT (I'd guess that to be more interesting on a G70 though - anyone? ;)). The NVPerfKit requires you to have 77.72 (bleh) installed, but it's easy to setup besides that.
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nvperfkit_home.html

ClockDomains.PNG

Uttar
P.S.: The utility seems kickass to figure out bottlenecks too, so if you're a dev, grab it even if clockdomains don't interest you! :)
EDIT: Number of Counters is just the number of performance counters exposed in the NVIDIA Performance Monitor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Volt: Nope, unless you can install the 77.72s on your ATI GPU, ofc ;)
Trinibwoy: Yep, it's at times like these I wish I wasn't suck a cheapskate and bought one a month ago!

Uttar

Another tool for the toolbox, nice find. Interesting figures on 7800 GT :p

NV30 is slow... lollerz

Rys said:
Another tool for the toolbox, nice find. Interesting figures on 7800 GT :p
Stop being a tease and post the info! We need to know!
Ostsol said:
Any chance of an OpenGL version appearing? :mrgreen:
Yep, it's going to be bundled with the new Linux Drivers.
You know the one that makes your card anything but a simple SVGA cards.

GPU Graphics seems to be what Riva and 3dmark are reading. But what's up with the other two that are ~ 10Mhz higher than the stated clock?

trinibwoy said:
GPU Graphics seems to be what Riva and 3dmark are reading. But what's up with the other two that are ~ 10Mhz higher than the stated clock?

Nvidia drivers usually dont give exact clocks (as defined in bios) for some reason. Usually within a few mhz of each other. Specially on the memory. I assume your GPU is typically clocked at 450 mhz?

trinibwoy said:
eVGA 7800GTX stock 450/1.2

Anyone else notice that it says NV47 instead of G70. I know that it was pretty much common knowledge that this was the case but this just confirms it.

the inq said:
THE KNOWLEDGEABLE 3D community gathered at Beyond 3D forum has talked about the Nvidia chip codenamed NV47 for a while.

This chip is supposed to give "Fudo" R520 a run for its money. Those chaps suggested 24 pipelines, eight Vertex Shader units and suggested it's based on NV40 marchitecture with more shaders and pipes. Or something like that.

I have to disappoint you all as Nvidia never had such a chip. Nvidia never had anything codenamed NV47 and this chip never existed. Very learned sages with long grey beards close to Nvidia's plans confirm this.
- http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20250
heh.. :D

You need to keep in mind. The inquirer is never wrong and has a great track record for spreading accurate information. ;)

Alright, I'll ask:

1. What is "GPU_Host" running so slow?
2. What is "GPU_Graphics", that is excluding the shaders and rasterizing? What does that leave? Z ops? And why does it have "2" under counters?

AGP 6600GT stock clocks gives:

GPU_HOST = 277780 (no counters)
GPU_Graphics = 299250 (8 counters)
GPU_Raster = 299250 (0 counters)
GPU_Shader = 299250 (5 counters)

So the both the NV47 and NV43 share the same Host clock speed, which suggests (as the name sort of implies) that it is a reference clock within the core somewhere. Interesting how as Chris pointed out, it reads the drivers rather than the hardware - all the main clock speeds are for 2D mode.

I'm guessing the counter list refers to the what counters can be selected from the following list (as mentioned in the help file):

GPU Idle
Pixel Shader Utilization
Shader Stalls
Texture Stalls
ROP Stalls
FastZ Utilization
Vertex Attribute Count
Pixel Count
Vertex Count
Triangle Count
Primitive Count
Culled Primitive Count