The Power of 3?

Neeyik said:

Funny, this was all I got when clicking the link from nVidia's homepage.

Powerof3.jpg

Is NVidia kidding me?!

The Power of 3:

• Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0 Shader Model 3.0 support
  • High dynamic-range (HDR) rendering support
  • NVIDIA® SLIâ„¢ technology

What a waste! :devilish: :cry: :(

Heh--Heh...;) No doubt about it, if you are 12 years old, male, and ramping up through puberty (pardon the pun), nVidia marketing is made especially for you. This one is especially idiotic:

http://surveys.nvidia.com/pow3/profiles.jsp

...whereas, the "Power of 3" is just one more moronic, brain-dead marketing spasm from nVidia--a company which cannot seem to decide whether it wants to sell professional-grade 3d cards to adults or cartoony boobs to pre-adolescent boys.

(And people wonder why I have no great pangs of affection for nV...?)

I haven't been this insulted by a 3d-card marketing campaign since the Matrox Mystique. Get a clue, nVidia--we can get boobs anywhere, and many of us have been getting them for years--and not virtually, either...;) Jeez--I gotta' say nVidia rates an "F" for its marketing--those guys would have difficulty breaking out of a wet paper bag.

I've written about this many times in the last few years, but it's plain to see that the schism between nVidia engineering and nVidia marketing is still light years wide. Right hand and left hand seem totally unfamiliar to each other.

Q: Why does nVidia marketing concentrate on virtual boobs instead of 3d technology?

A: Because nVidia marketing believes its best customers are 12 years old and unable to even spell "technology."

Q: Is nVidia marketing right about that...?

A: I'm really not at all sure these days. A couple of years ago I'd have said "no," but now...?

Even though this information was revealed last week. People are still surprised.

WaltC, in case that wasn't COMPLETELY obvious, this campaign is imo geared towards the OEMs more than anything else. And I'd be surprised if it failed in that area, even more so considering ATI doesn't really have any arguements against it this time around (since they'll be promoting the same things, and more, in just a few months).

The important part there, imo, is that NVIDIA wants to get all the design wins for the holiday season. Those are determined NOW - not in october. That's what happened a few years ago with the R300/NV30: Design wins can't be gained last-minute. Actually it didn't matter there, considering they would have been way too late anyway. But the timeframes of the design wins would most likely prove my point.

The other important part of the campaign is to hype up their product line for the "Back to School" season, and pretty much give everyone the impression that "ATI is losing", even though they didn't really react yet. I wouldn't say boobs are the best way to get that message across, but criticizing them for that when they're just relisting their past "boobs" demos is a bit hypocritical imo.

That, and Nalu's boobs aren't that impressive, anyway. Nice and all, but heh. (*prepares to get killed for that last comment*)

Uttar

At least at the Matrox stand they had skinny babes in "jester" outfits (the mystique logo) to hand you frisbees at Cebit :)

Uttar said:
WaltC, in case that wasn't COMPLETELY obvious, this campaign is imo geared towards the OEMs more than anything else.

OK, if you say so...;) I just hadn't realized that the OEMs were mostly 12-year-olds...;) (Don't know how that slipped by me.)

Back