Real time 3D capture

Interesting, but I'm not sure it'd be applicable to mocap for games. It's easy enough to set the lighting up the way you want it, and mark the target with various dots when doing mocap.

It might be nice as a method for automated ground-based devices (robots, automated cars) to better navigate.

Ostsol said:
Err. . . yeah, if you happen to own the [tens of?] thousands of dollars worth of equipment to do so. . . I'll pass. ;)
Well, if they're using for space-based stuff, it may be hundreds of thousands (for the moment: economies of scale would reduce it if they can ever find a consumer application).

Chalnoth said:
Well, if they're using for space-based stuff, it may be hundreds of thousands (for the moment: economies of scale would reduce it if they can ever find a consumer application).
Well, I guess certain hobbyists could find a use in amateur 3D modeling/scanning. That'd simply be a lower-end version of existing tools, of course.

Ostsol said:
Err. . . yeah, if you happen to own the [tens of?] thousands of dollars worth of equipment to do so. . . I'll pass. ;)

Could come down in price like a web cam.

rwolf said:
Could come down in price like a web cam.
Like that it'll basically just capture depth like a video card rendering a scene into a depth buffer. From a single viewpoint it isn't useful for generating a 3d model. If you do, then rotating the model will reveal that objects extrude backward as a solid mass, like a shadow volume.

Back