Ignore function?

Jew

Newcomer
hmmmm, could the use of this function here signify a person with a "closed" point of view?

(and yea, I know this board is not a democracy)

Jew said:
Sure, but what if they had a decent point?
Trolls, by their very definition, exist simply to provoke. Even if they have some valid point, their intention in making it is to illicit negative reactions -- which is not conducive to rational discussion.

It's just a way of customising your own signal-to-noise level. If you find someone constantly posts things you consider worthless, pointless, stupid, etc, then you now have the ability to remove them from your B3D forum experience. Everyone has the same choice available to them, so I don't see it being a problem.

If that ignored person occasionnally makes a worthwhile post, you might consider keeping them off your ignore list. You might consider the occasional worthwhile post not worth the trouble given the rest of the noise this person posts. His one good post per month might get lost because no one will listen to the rest of the noise spouted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jew said:
hmmmm, could the use of this function here signify a person with a "closed" point of view?
It could be.

Or it could be, as Ostsol suggests, a way to remove an unpleasant presence from the discussion.

It certainly has made my life more pleasant.

It could, of course, just be a bit of default functionality of the software that hasn't been looked at yet...

since i asked before for ignore i am more then happy to see it.
it just makes everything more pleasunt cause you dont have to argue with those that are usually posting things that you consider worthless. you can always remove that person from your ignore list, but some people will prolly stay there forever....;)

Why did you place Dave on your ignore list? :LOL:

silence said:
since i asked before for ignore i am more then happy to see it.
it just makes everything more pleasunt cause you dont have to argue with those that are usually posting things that you consider worthless. you can always remove that person from your ignore list, but some people will prolly stay there forever....;)

Dave, what do you mean when you say that it hasn't been looked at?

Dave Baumann said:
It could, of course, just be a bit of default functionality of the software that hasn't been looked at yet...

Please, please keep it. People who want it can use it, and those that don't can... well, ignore it. I've only ever had two or three people in my ignore list on other boards, and it really made things better for me not to see those couple of hardcore trolls, and in doing so prevented threads deteriorating into flames and insults.

If you're to going continue to have the extremely relaxed moderation we've become used to, then at least let the users edit their own B3D forum experience in this manner. After all, I thought one of the reasons for the switch to new BBS software was to give us more functionality.

It's cool to have it even though you don't need it. Personally, nobody gets me riled up enough at any board to ever use it. Even the most seasoned trolls say something useful eventually.

Besides, somebody who's not on your ignore list will inevitably quote the troll anyway.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Please, please keep it. People who want it can use it, and those that don't can... well, ignore it. I've only ever had two or three people in my ignore list on other boards, and it really made things better for me not to see those couple of hardcore trolls, and in doing so prevented threads deteriorating into flames and insults.

If you're to going continue to have the extremely relaxed moderation we've become used to, then at least let the users edit their own B3D forum experience in this manner. After all, I thought one of the reasons for the switch to new BBS software was to give us more functionality.

i totally agree. since i use that option i find some parts of forum much more enjoyable.....

ohh.... and its VERY short list, but makes B3D so much nicer....

I haven't found someone to add to the list here. :) This forum has always been a great read. I found out about PC-BSD here! :mrgreen: I'm still playing with that.

Thanks to everyone for the site, and the community here.

Back