Bikes stolen last night.

Nite_Hawk

Veteran
My wife and I were leaving for work this morning and we noticed something slightly odd about the garage. Our bicycles were missing. :(

Unfortunately we hadn't gotten a chain on our garage door yet because it wasn't openning and closing very well. My father in-law came over and helped me fix up the door, but we didn't get a new chain on. I guess I should have made it more of a priority. They didn't take anything else, but there really wasn't much else worth taking.

My bike was relatively nice (it was like $450 when I bought it 10 years ago). My wife's bike was pretty beat up and we had gotten it used for $50 so it wasn't a huge loss.

She's pretty heartbroken though. She rode her bike to a lake nearby fairly often this summer while she's off from teaching for the summer. She wanted to cry. :(

Nite_Hawk

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though it's only a few bikes, when your personal space and property are invaded and taken like that it's very upsetting.

good few years ago i had my 1300 quid (that's UK pounds sterling to you americans ;))bicycle stolen from a friends garage because the builders left the garage door open (assuming they aren't the bastards that stole it).

really pissed me off so i can empathise with your situation.

Insurance would only pay out 300 quid too because of some lame excuses (bike was insured for full value - I F@$KING DETEST INSURANCE COMPANIES)

thankfully the bike shop knew me and that my bike had been stolen with little payout from insurance so put togather an absolutely awesome deal for me (ended up with a 1600 quid bike for about 1100) - it's kind gestures like that which make you happier in these situations.

thankfully since then (at least 6yrs now i guess) i haven't suffered having my entire bike stolen, although some git stole the front wheel (about 150 quids worth including brake disc and tyre etc) when i locked the bike up in a bike cage at uni... didn't think i'd need to seperately lock up the front wheel when it was in a supposedly secure bike cage :mad:

anyway, enough of my ranting... sorry this happened to you, and i hope the theiving scum get what's coming to them.

My brother in law just stole about $1800 worth of DVDs, video camera, tools, coins, etc. from us.

This is after we let him live with us while he looked for a job.

Plus the bastard drank all my beer, and half of my liquor cabinet.

Anyways, once we found half the DVD collection missing, he was promptly kicked out and the locks and garage door opener changed.

*sigh*

RussSchultz said:
My brother in law just stole about $1800 worth of DVDs, video camera, tools, coins, etc. from us.

This is after we let him live with us while he looked for a job.

Anyways, once we found half the DVD collection missing, he was promptly kicked out and the locks and garage door opener changed.

*sigh*

Sorry to hear that Russ! It is really hard when family rips you off. I hope he comes clean at some point. :(

Nite_Hawk

DVDs and digital equipment are one thing, drinking a man's beer is just crossing the line of no return. :p

Wife and I loaned her little brother a couple $100 a few years ago and never saw a dime back. Gotta' love family at times.

Actually, it was the DVDs that really pissed me off.

You can't buy many of the Disney ones any more.

That and raiding the liquor cabinet after telling him not not. The beer was skunk beer left over from last years Super Bowl party.

Hey Russ, sorry to hear what happened to you. I know "it sucks" is sort of an understatement of what happened to you, but it does.

That's not surprising.

That's exactly what brother in law are supposed to do, steal money and stuff from you and drink your beer. I mean it's in the dictionary, you know.

Mine and my brothers' bikes were stolen from my garage a few years ago. The garage door was left open over night by my brother and the bikes were gone in the morning. Man, I wish I was awake when those guys were there.

Captain Chickenpants said:
Bummer!

You could always look on it as an excuse to buy shiny new ones that go woosh!

Will insurance payout for it?

CC

No idea yet. My wife is at home trying to take care of it. Perhaps we'll be able to get something to replace them with.

Nite_Hawk

Heh. My home owners policy has a 1% deductible, which is higher than the value of the goods stolen.

So no, straight out of my pocket.

One of my relatives "stole" a few collector corvettes from one of my other relatives. Long story short:

One of my relatives "X" was in financial trouble and asked another of my relatives "Y" to "buy" his 'vettes so he'd have cash on hand to pay some debts ($100,000+). Basically it was a loan with the vettes as colatteral. The idea was he'd get back on his feet and buy the cars back.

THEN, when X ended up getting in even more financial trouble....he turned around and actually sold those same cars to a third party.

Needless to say, Y is pretty pissed....

Joe DeFuria said:
One of my relatives "stole" a few collector corvettes from one of my other relatives. Long story short:

One of my relatives "X" was in financial trouble and asked another of my relatives "Y" to "buy" his 'vettes so he'd have cash on hand to pay some debts ($100,000+). Basically it was a loan with the vettes as colatteral. The idea was he'd get back on his feet and buy the cars back.

THEN, when X ended up getting in even more financial trouble....he turned around and actually sold those same cars to a third party.

Needless to say, Y is pretty pissed....
:oops:

Eeeew!

Joe DeFuria said:
I think the saying is "Possession is 9/10ths of the law..."

I know, I was just thinking that the family member probably didn't actually take possession of the car(s) because they trusted the other family member to not screw them over like they unfortunately chose to do.

RussSchultz said:

This would have been where .. I thought/said " alrighty your out tommorow, job or not..." drink all my stuff mofo.. bah

Back