Could RE5 trailer been rendered using highend PC GPUs?

PC-Engine said:
The question is WHY would Capcom use prerendered stuff when they can do it using a desktop PC and REUSE these game assets in the actual game? Makes no sense at all.

Because that would require them to have a working game already, which they don't have.

You can't "do it on the PC" without pre-rendering if you aren't done with your game engine yet. They've just barely started, and are still a year or more away from being able to show anything that remotely resembles real-time in-game stuff.

And for those that haven't figured it out, yes, the RE5 trailer was 100% cgi.

Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa...

Is this Resident Evil 5!? When was this announced? Is it an exclusive?

Atsim said:

It was announced July 20th, and will be coming to both the Xbox 360 and the PS3. (No mention of a Revolution version)

Well, it is a possibility it is pre-rendered in the sense that it is what Capcom believes is obtainable on the upcoming systems. I see little reason to think it isn't possible on next generation consoles. The graphics are very nice. It might be aiming too high, but I do remember being blown away by the first demos of Shenmue for Dreamcast and saying that even that couldn't be realtime. After that, I take this with a much more open mind, because it can happen.

And if it is indeed realtime, then Capcom have really turned it around.

Atsim said:

WHAT?? You gotta be kidding me man. Have you been living under a rock? j/k :)

Personally I don't think the level of detail shown in the video is quite possible. All the games that have been confirmed as running in real time come nowhere close. There are too many polygons, textures and effects all being shown at once. The post processing effects have clarity and resolution way beyond what has been seen previously and the same goes for the models shown considering there quantity.

Also note the ultra sharp un aliased edges that are consistently present all over the scene, thats certainly not 4xAA at work and also note the level of AF. To me the video and the screenshot look exactly like the work of an offline renderer with the exception of a few objects that are overly conservative with there polygon count considering there distance from the camera.

Why Ragemare prepare to be amazed. Comparing launch title games that are 40% complete to games done 1 or 2 years after the hardware has been out is a big big mistake. In 1999 do you think people would have thought they would have been seeing a game like MGS3 or God of War on the PS2? Of course not. I hope that you continuiously post on this board so I can see your comment once the X360 and PS3 is released.

Some people are just going to be super wowed come this winter. If you don't think RE5 is possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
from looking at the RE5 trailer, it *seems* realtime to me. I didn't get the impression that it was prerendered CG.

but I could very well be wrong.

Powderkeg said:
Because that would require them to have a working game already, which they don't have.

You can't "do it on the PC" without pre-rendering if you aren't done with your game engine yet. They've just barely started, and are still a year or more away from being able to show anything that remotely resembles real-time in-game stuff.

And for those that haven't figured it out, yes, the RE5 trailer was 100% cgi.

Then how do 3D mark demos work? BTW please stop saying it's 100% cgi when you don't have facts to back it up...

Then how do 3D mark demos work? BTW please stop saying it's 100% cgi when you don't have facts to back it up...
What about the 3d Mark demos? Working engines there. What's so special about them?

I have to go with Ragemare's synopsis -- if they haven't said it's realtime, that means it's not. Anything that looks like that and is realtime, you'd expect the studio to make much ado about it. Otherwise, it's more than likely pre-rendered CG just like so many other game trailers.

Of course you are right -

But in practice there is no huge difference between CGI and a pure grafik demo (like 3D Mark).

The non interactive, usually (semi) static camera allow effects, scenes you can really dream about in an interactive game. (Using matpainting, precaculated occlusion culling - the whole scene is optimized for 2 or 3 camera perspectives and so on...)

That is obvious, and the cause we still have no games that look like 3D Mark 2002/03.

Realtime grafik != ingame grafik.

What about the 3d Mark demos? Working engines there. What's so special about them?

Some of them are not game engines and some of them look really good yet they're realtime. AFAICS RE5 could've been rendered the same way. Rendering part of a Spanish village with one character model using motion capture doesnt require a game engine to be developed just like some of the non-game engine 3dMark demos.

At the end of the day the only thing that matters is this. Will RE5 look just as good or better than the video they showed? I for one think it will.

Why do you think that mckmas? I would be very interested in hearing your opinion on why RE5 might look better than the video shown.

I often wonder how long it will be until we will be able to have almost CG-quality graphics (I mean the kind we see in videogame intros or cutscenes, not motion pictures) in large open free-roaming game worlds. probably not until Xbox4, PS5.

Now, imagine the very best graphics (5th gen software) that Xbox 360 and Playstation3 will be capable of in a small room with 2 characters on-screen. that would be impossible in a large free-roaming world. but then with the next-next gen (X3, PS4) the graphics in free roaming games should be as good as what X2, PS3 can do in a small room.

Megadrive1988 said:
Now, imagine the very best graphics (5th gen software) that Xbox 360 and Playstation3 will be capable of in a small room with 2 characters on-screen. that would be impossible in a large free-roaming world. but then with the next-next gen (X3, PS4) the graphics in free roaming games should be as good as what X2, PS3 can do in a small room.

Like in a fighting game for instance a Dead or Alive or Soul Calibur.

london-boy said:
I was gonna say the same. The RE5 trailer was either prerendered or rendered on non-final devkits which use current high-end GPUs, so i guess that answers the question.

Considering how soon Xbox360 is launching, shouldn't they have final hardware by now?

Sonic said:
Why do you think that mckmas? I would be very interested in hearing your opinion on why RE5 might look better than the video shown.

Well I meant to say that I think RE5 will look at least as good as what we saw, but that it could look better.

Would it be that it is running in real-time on a PC dev kit, but at only a few fps and then it is sped up (ala heavenly sword demo)?

Back