Enchant Arm Dev Comments on Xbox 360 Beta Kits

Hardknock

Veteran
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/638/638323p1.html

Regarding system power, Takeuchi seems to have faith in the Xbox 360. He states that, while the final development kits will have slightly higher specification than the beta kits, the system in its current form has about ten times the power of the current generation Xbox. This isn't taking the switch to high definition into account, though. If they were to make a standard definition game for Xbox 360, they'd have more than twenty times the power of the current Xbox, says Takeuchi.

From Software's considerable know-how with the current Xbox has helped development. From is known for making some of the Xbox's finest looking games, including Ootogi 2 and the more recent Metal Wolf Chaos (both produced by Takeuchi). The Enchant Arm team has been able to use this know-how to speed along the development of its new project. Takeuchi also points to the ease of Xbox 360 software development as reason that they've been able to develop a full-fledged RPG so quickly.

From seems to be making use of the Xbox 360 hard disk for caching purposes in order to provide, as Takeuchi states, a stress-free, seamless experience. While it's not the case that there won't ever be a "Now Loading" screen in the game, such a screen will be very rare. This, according to Takeuchi, will be true of pretty much all Xbox 360 games, as it's something that Microsoft is taking seriously.

This is just the technical stuff. There's more details about the actual game at the link. Glad to know the HDD is being taken advantage of. :) Discuss.

Quote:
From seems to be making use of the Xbox 360 hard disk for caching purposes in order to provide, as Takeuchi states, a stress-free, seamless experience. While it's not the case that there won't ever be a "Now Loading" screen in the game, such a screen will be very rare. This, according to Takeuchi, will be true of pretty much all Xbox 360 games, as it's something that Microsoft is taking seriously.

Nice to see the HDD being used for caching.

Booo to load screens... yeh! for seamless environments. :D

Am I the only one tired of hearing "blah times more powerful than such" ???

More power isnt translating into shit for me. Photo comparisons should be the bar. I mean, I know im no dev or real tech boy regarding 3D, but I dont think any of you guys can really translate what they're saying into an image. Am I wrong?

To me, X times power just means they can run their current gen game at X times the framerate :p But really, yes... it's a silly way of measuring things unless you have full details about what/why the device is X times more powerful...but then Regular Joe won't understand. :p

He comments that, while development had gone pretty smoothly under the earlier alpha level development kits, since his team is still aiming to make Enchant Arm into a Japanese launch title, things have just started heating up, leading to a number of development problems. The team is working through each of these problems one at a time in hopes of making a playable debut for Enchant Arm at the September Tokyo Game Show.

I wonder what kind of problems are showing up? Out of order vs in order perhaps? I wanna hear how they're making use of the mutiple cores. How they off loading on to each and so on... It'd be nice to have some insight into the development process for the XeCPU.

Rur0ni said:
Am I the only one tired of hearing "blah times more powerful than such" ???

More power isnt translating into shit for me. Photo comparisons should be the bar. I mean, I know im no dev or real tech boy regarding 3D, but I dont think any of you guys can really translate what they're saying into an image. Am I wrong?
Take an existing image and make it 10 to 20 times bigger :LOL: Yes, I'm tired of hearing it's so many times more powerful. I have no idea what that power is being used on in this game. Better lighting, more characters, or just the same thing we've always seen now in high def?

In terms of volume, Takeuchi reveals that fitting everything on a single DVD could be tough.

Second japanese dev with "concerns" about disc space. I guess a second disc could work fine for a game like this though.

Titanio said:
Second japanese dev with "concerns" about disc space. I guess a second disc could work fine for a game like this though.

It wouldn't be such a problem if they would either convert the cgi stuff into VC1 codec video, or stop relying on so much cgi.

I read Team Ninja used over 2GB making the cgi part of their E3 showing. 2GB for 4 minutes of video that they could have converted to VC1 video and it would have only taken about 4-6MB.

the system in its current form has about ten times the power of the current generation Xbox. This isn't taking the switch to high definition into account, though.
Is he suggesting that the Beta kit has 10x the power of the current Xbox, but that's without taking HD processes into account? So if we take HD into account, how much power gain do we have over the current xbox, 5x-8x?

BTOA said:
Is he suggesting that the Beta kit has 10x the power of the current Xbox, but that's without taking HD processes into account? So if we take HD into account, how much power gain do we have over the current xbox, 5x-8x?
From the article:
If they were to make a standard definition game for Xbox 360, they'd have more than twenty times the power of the current Xbox, says Takeuchi.

serenity said:
From the article:

the system in its current form has about ten times the power of the current generation Xbox. This isn't taking the switch to high definition into account, though.
How can they go from making a 10x power claim to a 20x power claim? That just makes no sense.

BTOA said:
How can they go from making a 10x power claim to a 20x power claim? That just makes no sense.

they are saying.... if they were not using HD resolutons and instead used the std Xbox current resolutions, it would be 20x as powerful.

While at 720p with the AA on it is 10x more powerful than current.

Tap In said:
they are saying.... if they were not using HD resolutons and instead used the std Xbox current resolutions, it would be 20x as powerful.

While at 720p with the AA on it is 10x more powerful than current.
the system in its current form has about ten times the power of the current generation Xbox.This isn't taking the switch to high definition into account, though.
You sure about that, the quote says otherwise.

BTOA said:

The further estimate of 20x Xbox at standard definition resolutions clarifies the point. I think what they're trying to say is "it's 10x more powerful for hi def resolutions as Xbox was for standard resolutions - or 20x more powerful for standard resolutions as Xbox was for standard resolutions".

BTOA said:

no that quote means exactly what I described. IMO.

read the whole paragraph again.

Regarding system power, Takeuchi seems to have faith in the Xbox 360. He states that, while the final development kits will have slightly higher specification than the beta kits, the system in its current form has about ten times the power of the current generation Xbox. This isn't taking the switch to high definition into account, though. If they were to make a standard definition game for Xbox 360, they'd have more than twenty times the power of the current Xbox, says Takeuchi.

BTOA said:
i think you are misinterpreting it...

they clearly say that if they were operating in standard definition it would have 20x the power.

ie given that they do have to operate in HD, they realistically have about 10x the power rather than the 20x they would have were they not required to use HD.

some people need to seriously brush up on their reading comprehension skills.

taking the higher resolution into account they say it's ~10x more powerful, using olf 480p resolution it would be about 20x more powerful.

try reading entire paragraphs instead of single sentences...

Back