Playstation3 Hardware *Rumours* from PSM (grains of salt are on me!)

Titanio

Legend
If I could bold the "Rumours" in the title, I would. I'd take all this with a very large pinch of salt. But since it's pretty much inevitable these will end up here, I may as well post them..

The September issue of PSM has an article with some "revelations" about PS3, apparently from discussions with developers (from http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=4433). The main points are:

1) "Developers have begun to tell us about actual improvements being made to the system's specifications, including more system memory and other low-level upgrades that we won't physically notice, but are making the people producing the games simply giddy."

(talking about the greater amount of memory in the dev kit and confusing that with the retail box?)

2) Old memory cards (PS2/PS) won't work, but you'll be able to play PS2 and PS games and save to memory sticks. Transfer of saves via PC might be possible.

3) Devs are being told that HDD will not be used for games - purely storage (movies, photos, music etc.)

4) PSP will act as a PS3 remote over Wifi (PS3 in sleep mode, use PSP to manage media on it, start movie playback from another room etc.)

5) A USB video-in accessory is planned for Tivo-like functionality. Recording movies/tv and transferring to PSP for on the go watching is part of the plan

6) Most games will be 720p

7) Developers, if they so wish, will be able to offer faster framerates at lower resolutions (e.g. 30/60fps at 720p, 60/120fps at 480p or whatever). Presumably some minimum framerate is required at higher resolutions, but you could switch to lower for faster framerates still.

Some of this seems obvious/reasonable, but some seems rather..dubious (memory upgrade, the point about the HDD, the last point too).

I suppose my main reason for posting this here is that I guess all it'd take would be for some of the devs here to say yay or nay on this stuff to confirm or rubbish these claims..which might be useful ;)

Boulder of salt might be a safe precaution in this thread, heh... Anyway, I see no reason why sony would forbid developers to use the HDD as a buffer or scratchpad for games, that just doesn't make sense and is unlikely to make any dev "giddy"... :)

Titanio said:
2) Old memory cards (PS2/PS) won't work, but you'll be able to play PS2 and PS games and save to memory sticks. Transfer of saves via PC might be possible.
So we have to buy an, extremely expensive, adaptator or use a memory card transfer tool (Action Replay Max)?

Anyway I don't care, I already have ARM and all my PSone/PS2 Saves are backed up on my PC already. No rip-off €40 accessory for Vysez.:D

4, 5 and 6 are interesting if only for the fact that being able to use to PSP as remote is interesting yet without a touchscreen.... like I said it will be interesting how they design the interface to work.

5 is cool except... well if it already has a HDD whats the need for USB? If there is no HDD and USB connectivity is used then what is it connecting to? a standalone network HDD? A PC? a WMC PC:cool: ?

6 - But of course! This shouldnt even be considered a rumor!

1) "Developers have begun to tell us about actual improvements being made to the system's specifications, including more system memory and other low-level upgrades that we won't physically notice, but are making the people producing the games simply giddy."

512M XDR@6.4Ghz?

blakjedi said:
5 is cool except... well if it already has a HDD whats the need for USB? If there is no HDD and USB connectivity is used then what is it connecting to? a standalone network HDD? A PC? a WMC PC:cool: ?

I'd assume its a sort of USB capture card.

Most of that ties in with what's already known/hinted strongly at. For HDD not supporting games but only there for media, we already know it comes with Linux and KK was talking of media apps, so that's not entirely true. Perhaps games won't be able to see the HDD (grrrrr), mostly as antipiracy(?) but I find that unlikely.

The only exciting thing for me is the RAM comment, but I doubt that, nice as it'd be.

didn't the sony slide at their conference have the second and third beta kits having 512 Xdr. As for 720p for most game i think that is true is easier to push more shading instruction per frame at lower resolution than at higher.

hasanahmad said:
would they up the specs on a 500$ console?
Probably not on a $500 console.
But that has very little to do with the PS3 since its price is still unknown.

If they want to sel the machine for more money, bigger numbers on the tech-spec sheet in store might be needed?

maybe the original poster is confusing giddy about upgrades being developer kits (512Mb XDR Ram) <-- which was in original kits

about actual improvements being made to the system's specifications, including more system memory
System = OS? Oh good, Sony will reserve more memory for the OS. After all Ken said PS3 is not a gaming console.
I got dibs on 2x128MB reserved for the OS, anyone wanna take me on that bet? :D

hasanahmad said:
maybe the original poster is confusing giddy about upgrades being developer kits (512Mb XDR Ram) <-- which was in original kits
The article linked to specifies devs noting improvements to the Specifications. I'm sure devs aren;t stupid enugh to confuse SDKs specs with final hardware, otherwise they'd be complaining about a reducation in system BW!

It sucks that the hard drive isn't being used for games, how hard can it be for Sony to get developers to implement certain features, like-:

- Game saves
- Custom soundtracks
- Save downloadable game content

Into their software? Yes, all people won't have a HDD, if it isn't packed in - but if they had some sort of 'code of conduct', whereas the developers agreed to, then it would be nice for the people who have purchase one, and not to have it only as a media storage but also for game related stuff.

Wise up Sony.
icon11.gif

HappyBread said:
- Game saves
- Custom soundtracks
- Save downloadable game content
A 512MB memstick will be enough for those usages... GTA PSP supports custom soundtracks :)

Back