Good brands for power supplies?

digitalwanderer said:
It does look nice, my next bitchy/picky thing is I want at least 8 molexes... ;)

BTW-Bubbles Athlon 2400+ (12x200), NF7-s rev 2, 1Gb PC3200, 256MB Radeon X800 TT (500/540), Audigy2, A-L ADA885, TV, DVDR, 80GB, 200GB

That Superflower has 10-4pin :)

Jima13 said:
This Superflower I linked to in the other thread has 50a on the +5v rail. I'm using it in a xp3200 system that runs 100% load 24/7 [F@H] :)

http://svc.com/sf-550psu-blu.html
That looks like a completely BS number. 50A maybe as a temporary max, but not as anywhere near a normal load. It just doesn't add up:

3.3V * 35A = 115.5W
5V * 50A = 250W
12V * 30A = 360W

3.3V + 5V = 365.5W
3.3V + 5V + 12V = 725.5W

Now consider its listed combined 3.3V + 5V total is 275W, and it's labelled as a 550W PSU. Those numbers seem like marketspeak at its worst, and I'm not inclined to trust a manufacturer that exaggerates its specs so greatly. The PSU may be great, but those numbers don't engender confidence.

Edit: To be fair, here's a complimentary review of a 550W SuperFlower with similar specs and layout.

Provided it cools his system acceptably, I think the $40 TruePower 330 should suit digi just fine. Yeah, it's not the most efficient or the best at evacuating hot air, but it's pretty cheap because it's dicontinued, it's pretty quiet, and Antec's TP series has a reputation for solid power output. Anecdotally, it also feels like it weighs twice as much as my Antec SL300S, and conventional wisdom says the heavier PSU is usually the better one. It also has this handy fan-only line that'll adjust the speed of up to two case fans according to PSU temp (I'm guessing it starts at 5V and ramps up to 12V), which is handy for loud case fans.

Guden Oden said:
Pete said:
with a 12" fan
Surely not a 12 INCH fan... :LOL:
I, uh, work for NASA!

/me flees

Rosewill 550W looks sweet, check out these rails:

17-182-010-08.JPG

Also I noted this in one of the reviews of it:

Rosewill is Newegg's product rebrand. This PSU is the exact same thing as the ENERMAX EG651P-VE FM. So you really are getting your money's worth on the PSU beast.

Me liking what I'm seeing on it, and since it's Newegg.com I don't mind taking a chance...if there is any problems I'm sure they'll take good care of me. :)

Oh, and since it's Newegg.com you just know I had to pull a stupid. :rolleyes:

It certainly *looks* cool, but I remember reading that PSUs with hardware fan speed controls had problems with the 12V rail fluctuating too much. I *think* I read it on SLCentral.

Pete said:
It certainly *looks* cool, but I remember reading that PSUs with hardware fan speed controls had problems with the 12V rail fluctuating too much. I *think* I read it on SLCentral.

That was also brought up in one of Anands PS reviews back in '03...

I'll let ya know how it works out, I ordered it.

I don't intend to play with the high/med/low switch much, just crank it up and leave it there. 8)

digitalwanderer said:
Ok, even for Newegg.com that was amazingly fast delivery...it just came an hour ago! :oops:

results......considering it should only take about 10 min to swap'em out :)

I have had a Thermaltake Silent Purepower 420W running basically 24/7 for over a year now. It's nearly silent and the voltage rails are nearly spot on. I paid $50 for it I believe, but it's even cheaper now. The only concern I have is that Thermaltake may change the make of the actual supply and not tell anyone so it may not be possible to compare them. I mean the unit may actually be completely different now than it was other times, yet be called the same thing.

Otherwise Antec and Enermax have always received high marks. I strongly recommend anything these two make, if you are willing to pay a bit more.

BlackAngus said:
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/

Awesome.

<edit>
Damn way too late.
I missed the:

I'll let ya know how it works out, I ordered it.

Also a bit out of his price range.

swaaye said:
I have had a Thermaltake Silent Purepower 420W running basically 24/7 for over a year now. It's nearly silent and the voltage rails are nearly spot on. I paid $50 for it I believe, but it's even cheaper now. The only concern I have is that Thermaltake may change the make of the actual supply and not tell anyone so it may not be possible to compare them. I mean the unit may actually be completely different now than it was other times, yet be called the same thing.
Heh, that's the old power supply I pulled from Bubbles and cleaned up and stuck in my daughter's computer....and I agree it's a nice PSU.

I'm now thinking it's my mobo, which makes no sense but what the hell I've been wanting to upgrade to a 939....

Hiper PS's rocks. They often win the tests on teh webZ0r. :)
I've been using the "Type-R 480W" for 6 months now and it has kicked butt.

I really hate power supplies it took me about 6 months to decide which one to buy.

A small list:

Antec
PC Power & cooling (most expensive brand 2)
Enermax
Tagan
TTGI
They say OCZ but they don't have dual 12v rails so I didn't go for that consumer feedback really varies with this brand too

There more ofcourse.....but usually the best reviews where about the above

I read a lot of reviews aldo good reviews for a psu are hard to find.
I finally bought the Antec True Power II 550 (new models 2.0)
It's silent, stable and so on....nvidia sli aproved and did I say silent already? not alle cables are sleeved but I just did that myself money well spend.....

Has anyone ever tried mounting their PSU on top of their PC with the sucking fan facing down and using the PSU as a chimney? I'm almost thinking of trying that this time...

Back