Good brands for power supplies?

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
It's been a while since I shopped 'em and all the no-name brands that made the high-end brands all seem to have disapeared, what are some of the best PSUs around and what are the best bargain PSUs around?

(Bubbles PSU crapped out, I need a new one post haste as I'm using my daughters PSU and she's already bugging me for her PC back. :rolleyes: )

{Sniping}Waste said:
Whats the brand of the bad PSU?
Thermaltake Purepower 420w model HPC-420-302-DF

I just opened her up and pulled a ton of dustbunnies out of her, I'm thinking of putting her in my daughter's PC to see if if works....

Also, I'm kind of liking this Rosewill RV450 ATX 450W Power Supply 100-120 vrms or 200-240 vrms switch-selectable CSA, CB, TUV, FCC, UL. Mainly for it's rail outputs (+3.3V@30A, +5V@45A, +12V@22A, -5V@0.5A, -12V@1A, +5VSB@2.5A) but also 'cause it's got 8 molexes:

17-182-008-06.JPG

digitalwanderer said:
I just opened her up and pulled a ton of dustbunnies out of her, I'm thinking of putting her in my daughter's PC to see if if works....
I really could care less for you, but you do have a family, so unless your planning on winning the darwin award, DO NOT OPEN PSU's up unless you are ABSOLUTLY POSITIVELY SURE the capacitors have discharged. [And even then, there really isnt a reason for you to open it up.]

epic

I find his concern touching, but quite misplaced. I worked in the electrical industry for about 20 years and have a greater respect/fear for electricity than most.

I do know about capacitors and I'm rather careful of 'em, that's why I cleaned out the dust with a rubber-handled plastic toothbrush. ;)

Both Antec and Silverstone make really good fanless PSUs. Maybe you ought to look into them, but being heavy-duty units with thick-walled aluminium casings, they are a bit pricey of course... Maybe you're looking for something cheaper.

Anything from Antec, Fortron, Seasonic, OCZ, Zippy, Zalman, Silverstone, Coolermaster, Enermax, Vantec and of course PCP&C are good.

ANova said:
Anything from Antec, Fortron, Seasonic, OCZ, Zippy, Zalman, Silverstone, Coolermaster, Enermax, Vantec and of course PCP&C are good.
Thanks, I was looking for a list like that so I could pick & choose the cheapest.

Anyone know what all this rail talk is? I know what rails are, but my old PSU had an 18amp 12v and something weenie for it's 5.....what should I be looking for on rail amps?

Oh, and I just finished closing up that TT 420w after carefully removing all the dust/cat/doghair from it with a non-conductive toothbrush and installed it in my daughter's PC and it works just fine with it. :?

So I'm freed up a little on time constraints, but I'm still picking up a new PS as I know this is a bloody cheapy on Bubbles right now.

Yeah, I don't the Rosewill brand engenders as much confidence as those ANova listed, seeing as it's pretty new and appears to be the NewEgg house brand--so we don't know who makes it. NewEgg has a $47 400W Fortron with a 12" fan that seems nice.

I like the layout of the Antec SP2 500W (listed in the [H] thread, also $70 + S&H @ Outpost), but I don't know how quiet it is. I also doubt it's worth twice as much as the Fortron in terms of power delivered, and I'd probably just go with a Seasonic for efficiency and silence at $70+.

Silent PC Review has lots of good PSU reviews if you're concerned with noise.

I myself just bought an Antec TruePower 330 for $40 @ CUSA because I thought my current Antec SmartPower 300 PSU was the cause of my occasional system instability. While the TP330 was quiet and a pretty good price and probably offers stabler rails than my SL300S, I'm returning it just because its dual fan config actually made my relatively tight Antec SLK2600 case and CPU hotter due to the "front" vent (the 92mm bottom fan probably moved air faster than the 80mm rear fan could exhaust it, so some hot air coming off my CPU was likely pushed back into the case through the "front" vent).

{S}W, you're right, forgot to ask what system he's using. Newer CPUs and MBs want more 12V, older ones more 3.3 and 5V. Corresondingly, newer PSUs offer more 12V juice and less 5V juice.

If you have a roomy case or good ventilation, maybe just pop in a local CUSA and see if they have the TP330. It's worth a try, IMO, and 330W should be powerful enough for most systems. CUSA has also done away with their restocking fee, according to a rep I talked to online using their site (I'll test his accuracy in a few days), so you don't lose anything by trying.

Pete said:
Yeah, I don't the Rosewill brand engenders as much confidence as those ANova listed, seeing as it's pretty new and appears to be the NewEgg house brand--so we don't know who makes it. NewEgg has a $47 400W Fortron with a 12" fan that seems nice.
That Fortron has a very weak +5V rail. Dig has a Socket A setup and Socket A pull hard on the 5V rail. I like to see at least 25A on the 5V rail but 30A and up is the way to go.

{Sniping}Waste said:
Pete said:
That Fortron has a very weak +5V rail. Dig has a Socket A setup and Socket A pull hard on the 5V rail. I like to see at least 25A on the 5V rail but 30A and up is the way to go.

This Superflower I linked to in the other thread has 50a on the +5v rail. I'm using it in a xp3200 system that runs 100% load 24/7 [F@H] :)

http://svc.com/sf-550psu-blu.html

It does look nice, my next bitchy/picky thing is I want at least 8 molexes... ;)

BTW-Bubbles Athlon 2400+ (12x200), NF7-s rev 2, 1Gb PC3200, 256MB Radeon X800 TT (500/540), Audigy2, A-L ADA885, TV, DVDR, 80GB, 200GB

Pete said:
with a 12" fan
Surely not a 12 INCH fan... :LOL:

Anyway, I seriously wouldn't spend any less than a hundred bucks on a PSU, knowing it IS one of the most frequent causes of PC-related problems. Especially today, with high-current draw CPUs and GFX cards, and often multiple harddrives, optical units etc.

Minimalism in posting on BBS is art

Enermax all the way!

This post couldn't be less informative, I know...

Back