Bubble's troubles....

philoni said:
HTT is basically your fsb. It should default to 200. You probably need to adjust your memory timings.
Thanks, how? :|

Seriously, anyone know where a good newby primer on this stuff is? Googling for it is a bitch because of all the places selling them that come up. :(

http://www.ocia.net/articles/ocpt2/page4.shtml

Now the Hypertransport Link speed is determined from the base HTT speed of 200 (referred to as CPU Frequency in this BIOS above) times the HT Multiplier (shown as HT Frequency below) which is by default, 4x on S754 and 5x on S939. It is very important to remember to lower the HT Multi as you increase HTT. Ideally you want to try to keep the overall link speed close to the default 800 or 1000 as going much above these will result in instability. More than a few times I have seen someone complain they can't get more than 220-230 HTT on their overclock and think they've topped out the memory or CPU. Had they reduced the HT Multiplier by one step more they likely would have found they could keep going higher on the HTT
Nevermind, now I get it. :)

Ok, just for giggles I set my HTT multiplier from 5x to 4x and stepped it up to 213 in three steps without changing anything else. (Well, 'cept to disable thermal throttling since I heard you should when OCing)

I just ran 3dm2k1/3/5 and got 21855, 11769, and 5867 without a glitch....I was hoping to at least match Bubbles old 20k/10K/5k scores eventually!

I didn't change any of the voltages or nothing, I think I'm pleased. I played around with the Gigabyte OCing/monitoring software, but I kind of consider it total junk. :?

It feels sooo good to not only have her back but to feel like a newbie about all this again, I swear it's half the fun of it for me. :D

Got her at 223HTT right now, I had to bump the CPU & RAM voltage up one notch 'tween 218 & 223 to get her to boot but she just ran thru 3dmk1/3/5 again. (Oh, and I cranked her X800 TT up to 520/560 just to see what that would do)

22,123/11,979/6,028...methinks me will keep it here for a while. :)

When I installed my new Zalman CPU cooler I noticed the case's fan was barely spinning. So I ordered a replacement real quick. It arrived today, all 80mm rather than 120mm in size. D'oh! So I ordered a Antec 120mm dual ball bearing 3-speed fan, which I'll set on low for noise levels (system is perfectly stable without one, so setting it on low will help vent the heat without adding too much to the overall noise the case's contents generate).

I've really taken a preference to 120mm fans over the standard 80mm myself too. They move a lot more air a whole lot quieter, very goodly stuff indeed. :)

digitalwanderer said:
I've really taken a preference to 120mm fans over the standard 80mm myself too. They move a lot more air a whole lot quieter, very goodly stuff indeed. :)

Well, I meant to order a 120mm for the back of my case (right beneath the PSU to vent the area from the CPU), so that was a wasted $10 (a total of $20 wasted now on fans since I could've ordered my CPU cooler from Amazon and saved $10 there).

Yes, I'm so cheap I quibble over $20. :cool:

Heh, funny...I stuck a 120mm on the back of my case near the front to blow cool air in over the hard drives and get sucked out the 120mm chimney... ;)

John Reynolds said:
Well, since I cancelled my 7800GTX upgrade I decided to buy this instead: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80097-54

EverQuest2 was just chugging too much with only 1GB installed (I initially played it last fall and this spring on my Intel box, which has 2GB, since the only high-end GPUs were PEG boards and my AMD box was AGP only), so this should help.
Sweeeet looking memory and not at all a bad price! I was looking at the XMS stuff it seems like really top-shelf stuff.

digitalwanderer said:
Sweeeet looking memory and not at all a bad price! I was looking at the XMS stuff it seems like really top-shelf stuff.

Yea, that's my bonus hurrah for myself. This fall will be the X-Fi once prices drop a little, maybe an ASUS PPU if it has any game support at its launch, and perhaps a new graphics board. That should sit me in good stead for Oblivion.

I'm probably gonna get a PPU when they come out too just 'cause I want to support a kewl sounding technology.
icon_redface.gif

John Reynolds said:
Well, since I cancelled my 7800GTX upgrade I decided to buy this instead: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80097-54

EverQuest2 was just chugging too much with only 1GB installed (I initially played it last fall and this spring on my Intel box, which has 2GB, since the only high-end GPUs were PEG boards and my AMD box was AGP only), so this should help.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80097-18

Ordered these yesterday. Since I've already got one set sitting in the shop I figured why not? At least I'll find out how 4 sticks work on this mobo. :)

Memory arrived last night. Makes a nice difference in how EQ2 performs, at least with the way I have the game configured (max res textures).

John Reynolds said:
Memory arrived last night. Makes a nice difference in how EQ2 performs, at least with the way I have the game configured (max res textures).
Really? Any other games 2Gb helps with, that's the first I've head of it.

Probably just my system but BFME would crash regularly with just 1GB - upped to 2GB and not a problem in sight. Admittedly this was because I had altered the config to allow far greater numbers in the field but still...

Back