Bubble's troubles....

So I've been hunting power supplies:

17-163-017-05.JPG

POWMAX PSDE480 ATX 480W Power Supply - $37 shipped

17-162-109-05.JPG

Broadway Com Corp P4-COLORS 500W Silver ATX 500W - $38 shipped

17-182-003-14.JPG

Rosewill RE502-SLV ATX 500W Power Supply 103-132 vrms or 206-264 vrms switch-selectable - $50 shipped

17-148-008-15.JPG

ASPIRE ATX-AS520W BLACK ATX 520W - $55 shipped

I'm leaning towards the bottom one.

I know I should stay away from the junk, I'm just a sucker for the bling-bling late at night when I'm giddy. :oops: Feel free to recomend any, I'm looking for a 450w or better with at least 8 molexes.

I know there is a little known brand name that makes a big brand names PS, but I can't recall the name for the life of me....I figure Snipe will remind me before I order it tomorrow. :)

I'm in much less of a panic now, my 'puter is at least running. (Albeit at around 1.7Ghz right now, but I just don't feel like pushing it much....y'know?)

I always imagined bubbles was male.

Anyway, if you want a new PSU make sure you go for one with a 120mm fan, not 80mm like the last two pictured above. Btw, the first one's grill looks to me that it's going to be noisy. Also, unless you're running a huge raid0+1 array *AND* SLI you won't need anything above ~400w as long as it is quality stuff. Make sure you're reading "sustained" and not "peak" or "total" rates.

_xxx_ said:

I don't understand german but that one looks nice, if a bit overkill on the wattage and the fact I prefer dual fan; the ability to connect only the cables you need is excellent for airflow though.

Ok, the new power supply worked out great and it was all running better....'til numbnuts here (me) decided to try taking her back up to 12x200. :rolleyes:

She booted, ran thru 3dm2k1se and locked up solid half-way thru....I haven't even gotten her to beep let alone boot.

I've tried every trick I know to clear her CMOS, any advice?

digitalwanderer said:
That Gigabyte look like its only a 2 phase power reg on it. Look for one that has a 3 phase, it will alow a more stable voltage on the CPU.

EDIT
Its a referb Gigabyte but its much better then the one you linked to.
It looks like a 6 phase on the CPU and a 2 or 3 phase on the mem (most mem has a 1 phase). Plus it has a duel BIOS.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128263R

I was hoping you'd show up Snipe, I feel betterer already. :)

I'm really torn. Should I make the jump to a 939 or should I just find a replacement 462 mobo....or could it be something else entirely?

I'm really thinking it's the mobo, but if I replace the mobo will I see a speed advantage jumping to the 3000+ Venice on a 939 mobo? (Oh, and I love the mobo you linked...thanks. :) )

My biggest constraint right now is I'm stubbornly sticking with AGP.

digitalwanderer said:
I was hoping you'd show up Snipe, I feel betterer already. :)

I'm really torn. Should I make the jump to a 939 or should I just find a replacement 462 mobo....or could it be something else entirely?

I'm really thinking it's the mobo, but if I replace the mobo will I see a speed advantage jumping to the 3000+ Venice on a 939 mobo? (Oh, and I love the mobo you linked...thanks. :) )

My biggest constraint right now is I'm stubbornly sticking with AGP.

How much you want to spend and Il tell you if a A64 is posable or not.

The cheapest is going to be a new or referb s462/socket A. A A64 will be an new/referb mobo and that will be the low cost but the CUP s939 will cost.

This is the cheapest Venice I know of and many at XtremeSystems have orded 3000+ venice and happy with them and now are $120 OEM.
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=A64-3000BP

A S754 will be cheaper and about the same proformance so you might want to look that way too.

I'm just wondering if an AMD64 @ 2Ghz is really all that much faster than a Barton @ 2Ghz, and I guess I'm trying to decide if it's worth the price difference.

Do mobos go bad like that all of a sudden? It really was goof the ways it died on me, just die and wouldn't reboot. Once when I was gaming I could ALMOST understand, but the last time I was just using Firefox and I haven't gotten anything out of it yet and I have tried everything 'cept hot swapping my bios chip. (Mainly 'cause I don't have any other ones to swap with)

If I'm pretty sure it's just my board it would probably be better to just get another 462, but if it could be my CPU died I'd be better off going the whole 9 yards and just upping it to an AMD64.

-shit-

And my day today was spent getting ready for 3 five year olds birthday parties that I just got back from and I still gotta go run over to MauiMom's and pick up my son. (And probably hang there for a bit, I like MM & her hubbies company....they're good people and easy to talk to without any bullshit or airs, a real rarity and one to treasure. )

Thanks again for all the help, I'd be panicking about this all pretty hard 'cept I scored some Xanex off a friend of mine to keep me from worrying about it. (Scary, but true)

And since I'm just babbling in this post, it's probably the best idea for me to pick up a new socketA/462 mobo. That way I'll know if all my components are working and if not I can always just pick up some memory/CPU for it and build a decent system for a friend cheap. (MM's hubby is needing a new PC. ;) )

Ok, so for some variety and a bit of a change of pace what 462 mobo does everyone recomend? I don't want to do another NF7-S.

A A64 will beat a Barton clock per clock. I had a 1800+ at 240X10, 2.4 gig and a S745 3000+ at 2 gig tore it up and that was with the mem on the AXP at 240FSB 2.5,2,2,10 and the A64 mem at 200 3,3,3,11.

Damn it, that does not make this any easier for me to decide! :?

I hate forced upgrades, I just hate 'em. The added time-pressure sucks. :(

Thanks for the input though Snipe, as always it's muchly appreciated. :)

So picking up a socket754 might be the way to go AMD64 on the cheap? I thought the 754 was a dead-end, or is that why it might be a smart route for me right now.

I have no fricking clue how, but I just got her to boot. :oops:

She's running at 600Mhz, but she's running. All I did was jiggle the heatsinks on the CPU & northbridge. :?

Back