SCE presentation from PlayStation Meeting 2005

one

Unruly Member
Veteran
IGN has a nice roundup for all SCEI presentation slides, from the best angle! :D
As you see, this event is addressed to developers and the industry, so the emphasis is not on promotion for individual game contents that users are most interested in (naturally we'll see the opposite in Xbox Japan Summit due tomorrow...).

Sony's PS3 delivery schedule, including devkits and libraries
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/635/635630p1.html
Technological advances in PS3 and the tool chain over previous generations
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/636/636028p1.html
About the PS2 business
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/635/635678p1.html
About the PSP business
http://psp.ign.com/articles/635/635788p1.html
Videos for slightly updated tech demos, Kutaragi explaining
http://media.ps3.ign.com/articles/635/635625/vids_1.html

One interesting thing is SCE themselves teasingly play with the idea whether those movies showcased at E3 were prerendered or rendered...
ps-meeting-2005-fun-with-slides-part-iii-20050722101607181-000.jpg

and the updated duck demo with green ducks and a big duck is to be an actual sample code.
ps-meeting-2005-fun-with-slides-part-iii-20050722101621211-000.jpg

ps-meeting-2005-fun-with-slides-part-iii-20050722101613649-000.jpg

ps-meeting-2005-sonys-ps3-schedule-20050721020715190-000.jpg

I personally think it's hilarious how SCE absolutely abuses Powerpoint for their presentations. I mean, considering it's made by their competitor in the gaming market, a main staple of every Sony presser is the Powerpoint slideshow. :LOL: PEACE.

It's not necessarily powerpoint... I create all my presentation slides in either LaTeX or Oo_Org presenter, and some people ask me "How did you do xxx in PP?" afterwards.

Back on topic: I think it's great that they release the ducky demo as sample code, it was one of the most interesting aspects of the E3 presentation IMHO.
After reading all the slides I have to add that "Ballistic Trajectory Simulation" is really pushing the presentation-bullet-point thing a bit ;) -- once you have a general rigid body physics engine running your "ballistic trajectories" should work automagically.

PeterT said:
After reading all the slides I have to add that "Ballistic Trajectory Simulation" is really pushing the presentation-bullet-point thing a bit ;) -- once you have a general rigid body physics engine running your "ballistic trajectories" should work automagically.
Maybe more precise air friction, wind drag and so on? Though I don't know how accurate such simulation is in current games and how this newly gained precision actually translates into in-game reality in next-gen games... (well golf can be an example I guess)

one said:
Maybe more precise air friction, wind drag and so on? Though I don't know how accurate such simulation is in current games and how this newly gained precision actually translates into in-game reality in next-gen games... (well golf can be an example I guess)

That's been my biggest question in the latest Physics hype. How much more does it really need to progress in most games? Are arcade racers really lacking phyics because of the hardware? Would platformers really improve with physics more advanced than Havok? Would DOA with ragdoll actually make it a fun game?

With the exception of sim-based games, I'm not convinced that major advances in physics would translate into better games.

PC-Engine said:
What I see there is simply a slide with a bunch of bulletpoint features to make some people go oooohhhh aaaaahhh.
That's uncalled for, PC-Engine. Please...

Is Dylan Cuthbert involved in the creation of the rubber duck demo, this time again?

Vysez said:
Is Dylan Cuthbert involved in the creation of the rubber duck demo, this time again?
No, he's like he could do better or something like that 8)

Powderkeg said:
one said:

That's been my biggest question in the latest Physics hype. How much more does it really need to progress in most games? Are arcade racers really lacking phyics because of the hardware? Would platformers really improve with physics more advanced than Havok? Would DOA with ragdoll actually make it a fun game?

With the exception of sim-based games, I'm not convinced that major advances in physics would translate into better games.

It's like graphics. Doesn't necessarily make the game better. Just adds realism. DOA with destructable environments might be pretty cool.

yeah but hopefully next gen you'll realize how cheap and unrealistic it is.

I think graphics are at a point where the games are looking "good enough".

I'm still hoping that next gen will be the physics revolution like last gen was for 3D graphics.

seismologist said:

I'm still hoping that next gen will be the physics revolution like last gen was for 3D graphics.

For fighting games, it would be trivial to add physics based destructable environments.

PC-Engine said:
seismologist said:

For fighting games, it would be trivial to add physics based destructable environments.

Then why are they currently doing it the cheap way like in DOA.
If you dont see any benefit to having real world physics in games then your just not thinking hard enough.

PC-Engine said:

Depends what level of detail you go for. I guess you could occupy the fastest CPUs with a simulation for destroying just a brick piece by piece if you wanted ;)

PC-Engine said:

Because it would just be a gimmick.

So your point is that the presentation is worthless because having real world physics would be a gimmick?

In that case you probably shouldn't even be here because just about every reason for the next gen consoles existing is to offer more realism in games.

seismologist said:
PC-Engine said:

Because it would just be a gimmick.

So your point is that the presentation is worthless because having real world physics would be a gimmick?

In that case you probably shouldn't even be here because just about every reason for the next gen consoles existing is to offer more realism in games.

There are many ways to apply physics other than just destructable environments...

Back