Has the console forum been axed?

PC-Engine said:
Shifty Geezer said:
PC-Engine said:
Yeah it does get pretty old especially the ones holding grudges against other members because of old lost battles. In fact those are the people who need to take a step back from the forum until they resolve those personal issues.
That is EXACTLY the wrong attitude. People fighting 'their corner' and seeking to 'beat' others is behaviour that ought to end at primary school. A discussion needs opinions and open minds, and people who don't care whether at the end of the day their original ideas seem right or not. Anyone who enters a debate and comes out with a feeling of either success or failure doesn't belong in a civilised forum.

Some people can't admit they're wrong nor can they admit real faults with anything related to X company. That's not my problem nor the forum nor the mods problem. Unfortunately some people rush to jump into a debate because their favorite company is being faulted without even caring if the criticism is valid or not. Even when the evidence is right in front of their face, they continue to be in denial. That kind of behavior doesnt belong here.

The same goes for people who can't refrain from misusing every possible thread to point out faults (be they minor or major, perceived or real - it doesn't matter) from products of company Y, quite often as pure flamebait, and beating the respective proverbial horse to death over and over again without stopping until they perceive their imaginary battles as won, derailing lots and lots of threads into flamefests during their course of action.

EDIT: Typo.

Personally, I'm more irritated by all the people in this thread pretending thier shit don't stink (jvd, london-boy, shifty, pc-engine, PC elitists, I'm looking at you guys). Guess what, everyone is guilty of personal bias, or debate. It just needs to be taken care of when it gets out of control, in addition to the blatant trolling from other communities. Moderators just don't have the capability to do anything. And outside of sonic, the moderators have a pretty lousy attitucde towards the whole thing. If jvd doesn't want a console forum, what is he doing moderating one?

I also think it is pretty funny that several people honestly think the rest of the site has less conflict. Yes, the console forum is being trolled pretty hard right now (new consoles always bring this out), but in top form, the console forum is no more contentious than nvidia and ati fanboys arguing about who's drivers cheat more for frames per second in benchmark epeen wars.

But reading jvd's, neeyik's and the PC elitist's posts, it's pretty clear that this site doesn't want us here anyway. Later all, I'll keep an eye on this thread in case people migrate to a more welcoming community.

You guys should just rename this site to beyondPC. Funny your best article lately is about a console, but yeah, I'm sure you can tie that into the PC architecture somehow.

gurgi said:
Personally, I'm more irritated by all the people in this thread pretending thier shit don't stink (jvd, london-boy, shifty, pc-engine, PC elitists, I'm looking at you guys). Guess what, everyone is guilty of personal bias, or debate. It just needs to be taken care of when it gets out of control, in addition to the blatant trolling from other communities. Moderators just don't have the capability to do anything. And outside of sonic, the moderators have a pretty lousy attitucde towards the whole thing. If jvd doesn't want a console forum, what is he doing moderating one?

I also think it is pretty funny that several people honestly think the rest of the site has less conflict. Yes, the console forum is being trolled pretty hard right now (new consoles always bring this out), but in top form, the console forum is no more contentious than nvidia and ati fanboys arguing about who's drivers cheat more for frames per second in benchmark epeen wars.

But reading jvd's, neeyik's and the PC elitist's posts, it's pretty clear that this site doesn't want us here anyway. Later all, I'll keep an eye on this thread in case people migrate to a more welcoming community.

My neck hurts by looking at you in your high dark horse. Come off it, we never said we don't have some kind of bias. Everyone does. That has nothing to do with the way things are conducted by certain people.

london-boy said:
gurgi said:

My neck hurts by looking at you in your high dark horse. Come off it, we never said we don't have some kind of bias. Everyone does. That has nothing to do with the way things are conducted by certain people.

My high horse? I'm not the one kissing Dave's ass as if I wasn't guilty of the same behavior. I'm not going to apologize for being human.

gurgi said:
london-boy said:

My high horse? I'm not the one kissing Dave's ass as if I wasn't guilty of the same behavior. I'm not going to apologize for being human.

My ability to kiss ass is none of your concern.

Shifty Geezer said:
PC-Engine said:
Yeah it does get pretty old especially the ones holding grudges against other members because of old lost battles. In fact those are the people who need to take a step back from the forum until they resolve those personal issues.
That is EXACTLY the wrong attitude. People fighting 'their corner' and seeking to 'beat' others is behaviour that ought to end at primary school. A discussion needs opinions and open minds, and people who don't care whether at the end of the day their original ideas seem right or not. Anyone who enters a debate and comes out with a feeling of either success or failure doesn't belong in a civilised forum.

Spot on shifty.

Why is it so hard for some to grasp this concept? :?:

the idea that a discussion is a "battle" to be won rather than a place to exchange ideas and possibly learn something is imbecilic and leads directly to the downfall of these types of forums. IMO

Everybody calm down, chillax for a second, this is a forum made by and for 3D technology enthusiasts. Anybody who fits that description was and is welcome as far as I can see.

If some people are more interested in the PC area of the forum and say openly that the Console Forum is not important to them. Then, you what? That's just their opinion. Not a dictate, not an order, a simple opinion.
No need to vent on the subject, or take those opinions as if they were hostile or anything.

Simply put, chillax, this place is meant for educational and entertainment purposes only.

PC-Engine said:
That's because I choose my battles wisely. ;)

The following wise quote by John Reynolds sums up everything nicely.
John Reynolds said:
This thread has about served its purpose, me thinks.
Just let the console board die and kill off this thread as well.

gurgi said:
Not at all - we would wish for people to use the Console Talk forum as it is intended for; at the moment though it's not being used that way.

You guys should just rename this site to beyondPC. Funny your best article lately is about a console, but yeah, I'm sure you can tie that into the PC architecture somehow.
Dave would be proud to hear you say that about his work, I'm sure - however, look back over all of the material on Beyond3D. How much of it is directly concerning console technology, hardware and software? Compare that to the amount PC related material. By the way, if you read the conclusion of the Xenos article, one can see how relevant that article is for PCs at the moment.

You have also confused my personal comments with the wishes of the EIC and site founders and I have already made it clear that I comply with their decisions, rules and ethos at all times; therefore one should not take my own views as being those of Beyond3D.

John Reynolds said:
It probably has yes but it's interesting to see how the views of people seem to fall into one of three categories:

(1) Disappointed to see the CT board and are willing to help out to make it return, even though no formal decision has been made or announced in this thread.

(2) Disappointed to see the CT board but will leave the site to go elsewhere, even though no formal decision has been made or announced in this thread.

(3) Ambivalent as to whether it returns or not.

And it's those people in (2) that puzzle me the most.

Neeyik said:
gurgi said:
Not at all - we would wish for people to use the Console Talk forum as it is intended for; at the moment though it's not being used that way.

Dave would be proud to hear you say that about his work, I'm sure - however, look back over all of the material on Beyond3D. How much of it is directly concerning console technology, hardware and software? Compare that to the amount PC related material. By the way, if you read the conclusion of the Xenos article, one can see how relevant that article is for PCs at the moment.

You have also confused my personal comments with the wishes of the EIC and site founders and I have already made it clear that I comply with their decisions, rules and ethos at all times; therefore one should not take my own views as being those of Beyond3D.

John Reynolds said:
It probably has yes but it's interesting to see how the views of people seem to fall into one of three categories:

(1) Disappointed to see the CT board and are willing to help out to make it return, even though no formal decision has been made or announced in this thread.

(2) Disappointed to see the CT board but will leave the site to go elsewhere, even though no formal decision has been made or announced in this thread.

(3) Ambivalent as to whether it returns or not.

And it's those people in (2) that puzzle me the most.

I actually don't really care about the console forum itself that much (other than the information that was lost). I just want to know where we should post technical discussions (software and hardware) about consoles. If it's in the developer forum, or the 3D technology forum, or in the general forum, it's all good. I just don't want to have to search the entire site to find it.

Anyway, it's fine whatever you guys decide to do, It would just be sad to lose the great resources we have here. I hope that Faf, nAo, and the others continue to post somewhere. I'll be watching for them. :)

Nite_Hawk

I'm not sure how frequent it is, but there seems to have been a very irritating phenomenon consisting in new users signing up to the forum, getting info they need, go away giving nothing in return to the discussions, probably due to their lack or own brain, then go onto other forums and post the information, bragging about their insiders status and whatnot.

Those, i call them leeches, only used the forum as a source of information with no regards of the discussions at hand, sometimes even ruining present discussions. They take what they need then go away.

Another phenomenon, much more frequent and much more irritating, is new members whose first posts are new threads about something on the level of "@~*Details of X360*~@" or "!!!PS3 to have a BD-ROM!!!11", after months and endless threads about the consoles themself.

If those individuals wish to leave the site now that the Console Forum is no more, then it's better for everyone else on here.

Nite_Hawk said:
I actually don't really care about the console forum itself that much (other than the information that was lost). I just want to know where we should post technical discussions (software and hardware) about consoles. If it's in the developer forum, or the 3D technology forum, or in the general forum, it's all good. I just don't want to have to search the entire site to find it.

Anyway, it's fine whatever you guys decide to do, It would just be sad to lose the great resources we have here. I hope that Faf, nAo, and the others continue to post somewhere. I'll be watching for them. :)

Nite_Hawk

I personally think i gave reasonable temporary options:

london-boy said:
If people feel the "info" they have would fit into those 2 forums, i see no reason why they shouldn't post them there.

The Games forum would accommodate games threads.

3D Tech would accommodate TECHNOLOGY threads on either RSX or C1.

Hardware Talk could accommodate TECHNOLOGY threads on Cell and Xenon (or Xenos or whatever they called the X360 CPU).

No bitching contests (well, not any more than we already see on there anyway), only technical posts like we're used to in those 2 forums.

london-boy said:
I personally think i gave reasonable temporary options:

london-boy said:
If people feel the "info" they have would fit into those 2 forums, i see no reason why they shouldn't post them there.

The Games forum would accommodate games threads.

3D Tech would accommodate TECHNOLOGY threads on either RSX or C1.

Hardware Talk could accommodate TECHNOLOGY threads on Cell and Xenon (or Xenos or whatever they called the X360 CPU).

No bitching contests (well, not any more than we already see on there anyway), only technical posts like we're used to in those 2 forums.

jvd said:
_leech_ said:
So, for the time being, where can we post console stuff? :?
No where

Do the rest of the mods agree with this, or is it JVD speaking for himself? Can we post console hardware threads on the other forums or should we just not post at all?

Nite_Hawk

If there was a list of people to be banned, it seems reasonable enough that that ban be put into effect for a week or so before the console forum was shut down, just to see if the desired effect was attained.

Oh well might as well make today my monthly 'catch up on R520 information' day. :(

Post 'em and see if they get locked :?

I'd like to see the console discussions consolidated into one area as they were, rather than scattered throughout several places. I don't care much for PC tech, whereas the consoles seem diverse and intersting to me. Plus with the close relationship between CPUs and GPUs in next-gen consoles, dividing CPU and GPU topics into different threads might see a lot of crossover.

If possible what I would like to see is that when a thread starts to get out of hand, mods could limit posting privileges to those who have been members for certain length of time.

Sonic said:
Phil, moderators do not have the capability of banning or taking away posting privileges of a poster.
Sonic, that's why he said if it does come back the moderators NEED proper moderation tools--including especially the ability to restrict posting privaledges--not that the moderators were "at fault" for not doing it, nor that you should have been devoting more time to culling/locking threads otherwise. It is simply that getting people to "sit back and shut up" for a few days, and the ability to kick them for good, are necessary tools to clean up a forum when it starts to snowball too far and too fast.

I don't know if it's a technical limitation of the forum that the ability to at least temp-ban can't be assigned to mods (and is only granted to those with administrator status or the like), but even a kludge would be acceptable. (If you trust your mods, just instantly follow their temp-banning/banning suggestions without need for further review. It would still be fast enough to be effective, and not overly cumbersome to Dave et al. It doesn't have to be instant or perfect--it simply has to be there.)

At any rate, I'm still around... Geez, I disappear for a few days and look what happens to the place! ;) But what I see even in this thread kinda exemplifies why the Console Forum needs a good enema--and should remain down for now at the very least to flush the system. But in the meanwhile, those dedicated enough to want to keep both this development and community voice on the site need to work out a way to keep the crap from backing up. I don't have more I can say on the matter currently (damn RL), but I'm willing to help as needed.

Back