UE3 evaluation/ProDG/PhysX/Havok in PS3 SDK

one

Unruly Member
Veteran
Various PR are out.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/index_e.html

2005/07/21 SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT TO ACQUIRE SN SYSTEMS
ProDG To Become Part of PS3 Software Development Kit

2005/07/21 SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT ENTERS INTO STRATEGIC LICENSING AGREEMENT WITH AGEIA
AGEIA PhysX, the World's Most Advanced Physics Library, to be Included in Software Development Kit for PS3

2005/07/21 SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT ENTERS INTO STRATEGIC LICENSING AGREEMENT WITH EPIC GAMES
Unreal Engine 3 Evaluation To Become Available With Software Development Kit for PS3

2005/07/21 SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT ENTERS INTO STRATEGIC LICENSING AGREEMENT WITH HAVOK
World's First Class Physics Engine To Be Included in Software Development Kit for PS3

one said:
2005/07/21 SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT TO ACQUIRE SN SYSTEMS
ProDG To Become Part of PS3 Software Development Kit
OH my god..dunno if I should be happy or not (I use snsys tools at work...)

The current SDK has gcc, right?
Will they continue to use gcc for PS3 by merging updates into it, or is it just temporary solution to be replaced with SN systems compiler?

BTW, SN systems have products for GC/DS/GBA. Will they continue to provide them?

A look at SN systems website shows a Windows development platform, which presumably is offerd as an alternative to the Linux platform that already exists (?)

Shifty Geezer said:
A look at SN systems website shows a Windows development platform, which presumably is offerd as an alternative to the Linux platform that already exists (?)

I thought sony hinted at that during some presentation (I can't remember for the life of me which it was). They mentioned that they'd offer development on the platforms that developers are used to working on and there was some attempt at humor since they didn't want to say Windows since it is MS. Maybe someone remembers better than I do...

Bobbler said:
Shifty Geezer said:

I thought sony hinted at that during some presentation (I can't remember for the life of me which it was). They mentioned that they'd offer development on the platforms that developers are used to working on and there was some attempt at humor since they didn't want to say Windows since it is MS. Maybe someone remembers better than I do...
It's in the GDC presentation.

These are middle ware agreements with teh exception of SN systems, whom I guess will become the standard compiler/dev tools.

Ok better keep this discussion here instead of two threads...

Qroach said:
These are middle ware agreements with teh exception of SN systems, whom I guess will become the standard compiler/dev tools.
Well the wording of the PR is pretty explicit - they say both Physics APIs will be a part of PS3 SDK - that doesn't sound like just any old middleware support agreement to me.

I think get the same thing through the MS agreements, as all of these companies offer evaluation based on interest from developers.
Yeah UE3 evaluation being in both console SDKs is a major boon for EPIC mainly - they're pretty much cornering the market to themselves by this kind of exposure.

Feel a bit of pity for Id and their Doom3 engine. They have definitely been forced out of the engine-licensing competition.

Well the wording of the PR is pretty explicit - they say both Physics APIs will be a part of PS3 SDK - that doesn't sound like just any old middleware support agreement to me.

Still it wouldn't suprise me if MS was already doing this with Ageia and Havok as well. It's certianly not something they couldn't do if they wanted. I think this just means you can get the eval software through sony as opposed to having to get it directly from ageia or havok (which isn't something completly new). Ms did this with renderware on xbox last gen.

Fafalada said:

I agree, Faf... I think while the UE3 evaluation is just a teaser for developers, the two physics solutions are an integral part of Sony's PS3 SDK plans.

These companies did their dog and pony show "we'll support PS3 via middleware" stuff just after E3.. I don't expect that these press releases are a regurgitation of that..

Devs will still have to license Havok and Ageia if they're going to use them in their games though, right?

The vibe I get off it is that Sony now can sub-license these and provide their own support for them. A key issue in Japan. A good idea, IMO.

Hm, if Aegia/Havok are included in the SDK, surely there would be no need for additional licenses to the parent companies themselves... Anyway, this is really cool news. Also, didn't MS already announce a deal with the Havok people? I'm sure I saw that, or was I dreaming? If I was, I'm sure it's not far off in the making.

Well that means that pretty much every game on PS3 will have killer physics. Same for X360 seeing how they have the same tools and libraries in their standard devkits. :D

Happy.

There's a mistaken intepretation with both Physics APIs. Its stated in the official press release pdf. Like the Unreal engine, these are sub-license agreements. Only the evaluation versions are part of the SDK.

passby said:
There's a mistaken intepretation with both Physics APIs. Its stated in the official press release pdf. Like the Unreal engine, these are sub-license agreements. Only the evaluation versions are part of the SDK.
Yes, they'll be optional... the agreement is
1. SCEI can optimize those physics libraries for Cell/SPE
2. SCEI does developer support for those libraries

Back