SEGA confirms Lindbergh board is NOT based on Xbox360 or PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The chances of Virtua Fighter heading to Xbox 360 are almost zero.
Look at these facts:

PS2 outsells Xbox by more than 200:1 on a regular basis every month in Japan.
Only 2% of Japanese show any interest in Xbox 360.
No amount of MS moneyhats could put VF4 on Xbox.

A PS3 exclusive will probably be announced about 1 yr after the arcade version has hit the streets.

PS2 outsells Xbox by more than 200:1 on a regular basis every month in Japan

Using these facts we would see that virtual fighter heading for any system other than ps2 will be close to zero . Ps3 most likely wont do it .

Fact of the matter is that xbox 360 and ps3 will be at 0 systems at the start and in america and europe where vf4 sold just as well as in japan on the ps 2 the xbox will have a large base .

Only 2% of Japanese show any interest in Xbox 360.
And what about the other markets

No amount of MS moneyhats could put VF4 on Xbox.
It doesn't matter moeny wise . Sega went a route . The sales weren't as good as they could have been .

A PS3 exclusive will probably be announced about 1 yr after the arcade version has hit the streets.
Sega wants to make moeny . All thier games will head to both systems .

Re: Sega-Sammy keeps important licenses in amusement-centers for long time
Because profits for doing so >>>>> profits of worldwide console release even if it's only Japan's ACs.

We're talking about a near half-decade-old game that has a national, per-AC-location-based network, that still has national tournaments today.

Simple math:
How much was earned from sold copies of VF4 worldwide in the last 7 days?
How much was earned from $ going into VF4 in Japan's ACs in the last 7 days?

More simple math:
New VF released on console. Sales go strong for half a year.
New VF released in AC. Earns $ in month 1. Earns $ in month 2. ... Earns $ in month 12. Earns $ in month 13... Earns $ in month 24.... Earns $ in month N...

The simple point is this:
Profit in Japan AC alone >>>>> worldwide console release, and Sega-Sammy has the commonsense not to mess up their revenue stream. For VF, a console release is just 'pocket-money revenue'.

And this is still a narrow view. Because Japanese AC != arcade. A customer that enters an AC is a customer for the other dozens of games, amusement facilities, the cafe, the specialty shop, etc... It's not a matter of VF alone, but the matter of the entire AC.

And Sega-Sammy has been doing very very well thus far in their non-console related ventures. Just yesterday, it was announced that the 'SEGA Link' service which started in June, has already hit 100K registration. This service provides online games(the simple kinds), streaming movies and music, personal homepages, fortune-telling, online-chat, avatar-creation tools and more.

passby your point ignores the fact that obvisouly having vf4 at home in these markets hasn't slowed down the money sega is making in the arcades .

Sounds dumb not to release a game while its new and popular in markets where there is no arcade sales like america . I'm sure here htey made more off the game on the ps2 than they did in the arcade market .

SEGA made more off of the arcade version of VF4 than the PS2 version in the North American market from what I can recall. However, SEGA has made much more money from VF4 arcade in Japan then VF4 PS2 version. The arcade version of VF4 made more profit than the PS2 port has worldwide. That tells us right now that the arcade is still very strong for SEGA and that it is still a place for them to make a nice profit.

And I would bet good money on VF5 being ported to PS3 within a year of the arcade launch. I would also go on a limb to say that SEGA seems to be much more open to multi-platform gaming in the future. So this probably means that VF5 could end up on Xbox 360 as well.

jvd said:
Using these facts we would see that virtual fighter heading for any system other than ps2 will be close to zero . Ps3 most likely wont do it .

Fact of the matter is that xbox 360 and ps3 will be at 0 systems at the start and in america and europe where vf4 sold just as well as in japan on the ps 2 the xbox will have a large base .

Ridiculous. Japan is not interested in MS´s consoles, and for that to change will require a long and painfull process of washing out the image of awfull losers in the consumer mind.

So, no, they´re not at the same starting point.

And what about the other markets

Yeah, sure, let´s eliminate a market where a game can make minimum half a million copies.:rolleyes:

It doesn't matter moeny wise . Sega went a route . The sales weren't as good as they could have been .

Potential sales on PS3 are much larger than whatever you could make on Xbox for a japanese company. Fact.

Sega wants to make moeny . All thier games will head to both systems .

First, How can you POSSIBLY know what Sega will do? Second, think a bit, if all companies followed your logic, then every single game currently out would be on all consoles, no?

Ridiculous. Japan is not interested in MS´s consoles, and for that to change will require a long and painfull process of washing out the image of awfull losers in the consumer mind.

So, no, they´re not at the same starting point.

Yet japan is one market . That is whats ridiculous . Your basing your ideas on one market . Your forgetting that the na market sold just as many copies on the ps2 as japan and then there is europe and other markets .

Yeah, sure, let´s eliminate a market where a game can make minimum half a million copies.
Once again that is one market . You have other markets where the game has sold almost as well or just as well

Potential sales on PS3 are much larger than whatever you could make on Xbox for a japanese company. Fact.
Ficition . For every flop sega had on the xbox they had one on the ps2 also .

First, How can you POSSIBLY know what Sega will do? Second, think a bit, if all companies followed your logic, then every single game currently out would be on all consoles, no?
Unless they are payed otherwise , do not have the resources to do so or the platform lacks specific functions .

I highly doubt the sega fits into the second one . The third one doesn't fit the xbox 360 and the only one likely is that sony is going to pay for the exclusive .

jvd said:
Yet japan is one market . That is whats ridiculous . Your basing your ideas on one market . Your forgetting that the na market sold just as many copies on the ps2 as japan and then there is europe and other markets .

God, this is supposed to be simple. If you release the game on PS3, you can have 3 viable markets. If you put it on 360, you have one viable market, a tiny one, and an unexistant one.

Once again that is one market . You have other markets where the game has sold almost as well or just as well

And once again, why let go of the fact that you could sell your game on more markets if you put it on PS3?

Ficition . For every flop sega had on the xbox they had one on the ps2 also .

You know the meaning of the word "potential"? And please, Sega´s games on Xbox were of much more importance than the ones PS2 recieved. At least at first, anyway, that was how MS was able to gather the Sega fanboys around them.:p

Unless they are payed otherwise , do not have the resources to do so or the platform lacks specific functions .

I highly doubt the sega fits into the second one . The third one doesn't fit the xbox 360 and the only one likely is that sony is going to pay for the exclusive .

Man this is exasperating, once again, and taking big publishers in consideration, why isn´t every single game from big publishers on every single plattform (yes, your theory includes the Cube)?

Oda said:
jvd said:
eh i'm sure all these games will be out on the xbox 360 and then the ps3 (just by virtue of the fact that the x360 will be out first )
I highly doubt any of their arcade conversions will be ready for release before the PS3 launches, so I'm betting we'll either see PS3 exclusive releases, or same day multiplatform launches (more likely). All I know for certain, is that now that Sammy is pretty much calling the shots for Sega's dev teams, X360 exclusivity is completely out of the question after the amount of money Sega lost betting on the Xbox so heavily at the start of this gen.

What are you talking about? SEGA games don't sell as much as they used to except for titles like VF. In fact if the same SEGA games that were released on Xbox were to be released on PS2, they would not have sold significantly better either. Heck even Shenmue didn't sell well on SEGA's own DC let alone on Xbox.

God, this is supposed to be simple. If you release the game on PS3, you can have 3 viable markets. If you put it on 360, you have one viable market, a tiny one, and an unexistant one.

Really ? From november to march you will have 3 markets for ms which will al lbe bigger than the 1 that is so far confirmed for the ps3 in march
Its very simple actually . xbox 360 will have a bigger installed base than the ps3 before the ps3 even launches .

And once again, why let go of the fact that you could sell your game on more markets if you put it on PS3?

And once again u can sell more by putting it on the ps3 and the xbox 360 . Wow the shock . And this is what i've said before you even got in the post

You know the meaning of the word "potential"? And please, Sega´s games on Xbox were of much more importance than the ones PS2 recieved. At least at first, anyway, that was how MS was able to gather the Sega fanboys around them.:p
really which ? Sony got hte biggest title vf4 . Other wise sega gave ms a small game from the dream cast (jet set ) and panazeer dragoon which was a game last seen on the saturn .

Man this is exasperating, once again, and taking big publishers in consideration, why isn´t every single game from big publishers on every single plattform (yes, your theory includes the Cube)?

THe major studios are on diffrent systems . MOst on 2 others on 3

Sega was on all 3

ea all 3

konami on 3 + pc

square was on 2+ pc

and i'm sure alot of other big ones were on 2 or more

Honestly your arguement doesn't make sense . If sega wants to release games and make the most money possible they will put them on both x360 and ps3 . x360 will have been out longer than the ps3 and will have a larger installed base at the ps3 launch and for sometime to come after .

Its a simple fact .

Incentive doesn't always help a company enough, as you can see in Nintendo, Resident Evil 4 and Capcom.

The irony is that RE4 is doing very well in sales on GCN while having an installed base of 1/4 of PS2 not to mention stupdily announcing the PS2 version before the GCN version even came out. Then you have the fact the release missed the important Xmas window. It'll be interesting to see how well or not so well RE4 does on PS2. Capcom was forced to make RE4 available on PS2 because of shareholders. ;)

jvd said:
And once again u can sell more by putting it on the ps3 and the xbox 360 . Wow the shock . And this is what i've said before you even got in the post
The danger is in overestimating the market and making a lot of copies that WON'T sell. And if you're going to only release a few copies for a platform, then it's not worth the cost to market them.
jvd said:
really which ? Sony got hte biggest title vf4 . Other wise sega gave ms a small game from the dream cast (jet set ) and panazeer dragoon which was a game last seen on the saturn .
Sonic Heroes likely sold more copies than VF4, but that was on all 3 consoles. Sega also offered SegaGT 2000 as part of the pack-in deal, and I'm sure that (along with JSRF) only helped to boost sales of the Xbox. I can't imagine Outrun 2 did very well (going up against Burnout 3 or NFSU 2), nor Spikeout Battle Street, but most of the Sega AGES PS2 games got less care in their development, and probably sold a lot better.
jvd said:
Honestly your arguement doesn't make sense . If sega wants to release games and make the most money possible they will put them on both x360 and ps3 . x360 will have been out longer than the ps3 and will have a larger installed base at the ps3 launch and for sometime to come after .

Its a simple fact .
But it really isn't that simple. Putting any game on any console is a risk if you overestimate the demand. You could potentially lose money, even if a title manages to sell decently. I can understand Sega being more cautious, because the Dreamcast had incredible sales at launch and you see how things ended up. And for them to make games for the X360, an unestablished console, is a great risk I can see any company wanting to avoid. The PS3 is definitely going to sell in all territories. The X360 has an uncertain future. It'll probably have a good launch in the U.S., but it could ultimately turn out to be another Dreamcast.

The danger is in overestimating the market and making a lot of copies that WON'T sell. And if you're going to only release a few copies for a platform, then it's not worth the cost to market them.
That isn't fully true . As you have sales at diffrent price points that last for years . I.e last x mass vf4 was going for 10$ at best buy and selling pretty well ( the first version )

Secondly we've seen it before that many people will buy the game for the diffrent platforms . Look at soul calibler 2 . It sold the best on gamecube but it sold well on both ps2 and xbox . If they released it only for the gamecube it would not have made the same money it ultimately did

Sonic Heroes likely sold more copies than VF4, but that was on all 3 consoles
Correct and a multiplatform title will sell better (if its of okay quality ) then a game on a single platform

Sega also offered SegaGT 2000 as part of the pack-in deal, and I'm sure that (along with JSRF) only helped to boost sales of the Xbox.
and helped sega because ms payed for each of those copies .

As for the rest i disagree . Alot of ps2 sega games did just as bad . Its even worse when you factor in the installed base diffrences . Remember this diffrence wont be there next gen or it may even be reversed with ms having hte larger installed base in the majority of teritorys

But it really isn't that simple

YOur first post is the same for releasing on one console . You can loose just as much money by messing up and releasing on only one console as you can by overestimating and releasing on 2 consoles .

As for the xbox 360 it wont be the unestablished console . It will be out in 3 markets for almost 6 months before the ps3 is released . So it will be established

The X360 has an uncertain future
And so does the ps3 . Both can fail .

Neither however will .

I was in a good mood until I came to this forum and PS3 BS

ONce again do not post blatent trolling posts against sony . Calling thier marketing crap or other things is not allowed. It doesn't matter how many times you delete my commentsand repost . I will keep deleting them and lock this thread so that you can't change them again

Sony does what any company trying to sell their product does. Hype it to no extent and try to get the most profit they can. Just because they are better at doing it than MS doesn't mean MS is any less evil. Stop being so biased against Sony and look at the reality of the situation.

SEGA games in general have turned mediocre since the Dreamcast ended. I doubt anyone is going to deny this, and I think SEGA realizes it also. They are looking much better going into the future and the next generation of consoles. They will be focusing on a lot higher quality of products going from gameplay and graphics. There's going to be a lot more original titles from SEGA along with the return of old franchises that will make Shinobi on PS2 look worse than the bad game it already is.

SEGA is also much more forward thinking about the arcade going into the future. This can only be a good thing. Sammy's management is going to turn the SEGA portion of the company around and for the best. Creativity gets to return but it will be on games that actually deserve to be made, not on a poor concept like Billy Hatcher.

Sega Sammy have a good relationship with Microsoft, so they're one of the few Japanese publishers who'd allow Microsoft to bid for exclusivity on a major franchise. In fact, Virtua Fighter 4 development was tested for Xbox before Sony stepped up to buy the rights.

Virtua Fighter's popularity on consoles has waned. Part four on PS2 helped to make the series a decent success in the US for the first time, but even its worldwide PS2 sales couldn't touch what Virtua Fighter 2 did... on the SEGA Saturn... in Japan alone. Japanese Saturn sales of VF2 were around 1.8M units, while the two best territories for VF4, Japan and the US, moved about 600K copies each.

well to be fair vf4 was the first game released in the usa on a sucessfull system .

vf1 was launched with saturn , part 2 was on saturn

vf3 team battle was on the dreamcast at launch and that system was closed up in 2 years and only hit about 10 million units in sales world wide . Way smaller than the ps2 base in the usa or japan alone .

anyway the point is ms will have an installed base world wide before sony launches in 1 teritory . It will also not be a crowded platform in terms of fighting games . You will have doa and possibly soul caliber . Other than that there is nothing . So on the x360 vf5 could be push to mass popularity as one of the few games .

Its also still very popular in japan and if ms can make it sweet enough it would be a good move for ms to have it on thier system .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back