Amazing new PGR3 shots

kyetech said:
Naa ive seen big ben at least somewhere else before...

Ill see if I can dig a link up !

Aaah B*llocks, Must of just been doing too much class A recently. Either I imagined it, or I cant find it ! Probably the former :p

The video from IGN showing a short 10 second clip of PGR3 looks better than these high quality screens unfortunately. The background are quite bland and the cars fake looking... bad captures :?:

And does anyone know if the game is running at 30 or 60 fps?

London is the city in the middle 3 pix.

<-- Location

That's Admiralty Arch in the second and third pix, just off Trafalgar Square. You can see Nelson's Column in the background of the third pic. And the tarmac on the Mall is red.

Jawed

Phil said:
The video from IGN showing a short 10 second clip of PGR3 looks better than these high quality screens unfortunately. The background are quite bland and the cars fake looking... bad captures :?:

And does anyone know if the game is running at 30 or 60 fps?

According to eurogamer, Blizzard says it's at 30 but shooting for 60 fps...

Eurogamer said:
The room goes quiet for a second. Some cynical git (yours truly) decides to ask about the frame rate. Design manager Gareth Wilson takes the question. "This version's running at 30 frames per second. We're aiming for 60." Does he think they'll hit it? "We'll see how we go. It's all about timings. If we had four months we could get it running at 60. It's whether we've got the time." With precious time to reflect even on that, the conversation lurches in another direction.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60899

726_0001.jpg

pso said:
According to eurogamer, Blizzard says it's at 30 but shooting for 60 fps...
If I remember correct, that's what they said with PGR2, it turned out 30fps so mhopefully they do have more time this time. IMO they should release it "when it's ready" i.e. 60fps, not because MS needs a strong launch title.

rabidrabbit said:
If I remember correct, that's what they said with PGR2, it turned out 30fps so mhopefully they do have more time this time. IMO they should release it "when it's ready" i.e. 60fps, not because MS needs a strong launch title.

You are correct, they said the same thing about PGR2. Personally, I believe it's going to be 30fps for retail because, like you said, to meet MS' launch deadline.

We were able to detach the camera (using a special debug control) and fly over the crowd, showing the details of the character modelling. We also zoomed in on several buildings, and took a closer look at the texture work, bump mapping, and reflections in the windows. We are using 512x512 pixel textures, and some high-detail areas have 1024x1024px textures applied to them. Likewise, all scenes have been put through our in-house lighting tool, which calculates all sorts of crazy HDR lighting values to make the scenes extra realistic. This takes so much processing time that it is actually setup in our office as a distributed processing program (think Seti@Home).

After ramming into the barriers a few times and scaring the audience (I could do this all day!), I detached the camera again to take a closer look at the cars effects. Things to point out here are the highly detailed cube map, as well as the advanced lighting. The cube map allows us to render the scene from 6 different angles, and wrap this around the car model to make accurate reflections of other objects in the scene. If another racer whizzes past your car, you'll see his reflection in your paintwork! This, of course, is a level of detail which just isn't possible on Xbox 1.

http://www.bizarreonline.net/index.php?action=fullnews&showcomments=1&id=62

Last edited by a moderator:
So, all that is happening on devkits, or even multiple kits with distributed computing.
Has little to do with the final game and how it'll look and behave on retail xbox360.
Or is it? From the Bizarre article it's a bit confusing to tell, as at one point they are clear about the demo running distributed on multiple devkits, but soon after they give the impression they're showing it realtime on xbox360 with some "debug controls"
Edit: Ok, I think it's meant that all the pre-baked lighting effects that are applied to scenes are done with those distributed devkits.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think what he means is they calculate the lightmaps with distributed processing. On PC's.

I've read that somewhere before too...

pipo said:
I think what he means is they calculate the lightmaps with distributed processing. On PC's.

I've read that somewhere before too...

Yeah I think they're saying that calculating the HDR lightmaps takes a while.

rabidrabbit said:
I can't imagine how it would make the gameplay any better if the spectators accurately represented the number of people actually spectating the game in "game tv" mode, I mean who cares.
As long as the roadsides are populated with enough (detailed polygon) people to look believable, I don't think the spectators should be high on the list when the devs prioritize where to put the resources in a street racing game.
I find it kinda funny that Bizarre is hyping these aspects of the game (detailed building faces, massive number of spectators...) so much, seemingly neglecting the cars and racing aspect of the game almost totally. But maybe we'll hear more about those as the game developes more.

Wow could you be any more negative?

Seems to me that the spectators aren't having any real effect on resources if they can have 35,000 in one scene with the framerate the same.

How are they neglecting the cars and racing aspects? The cars look fantastic and the game modes are also sounding great. They have hardly neglected either of these aspects of the game.

Back