http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/extras/aa-jointerview1.html
http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/extras/aa-jointerview2.html
http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/extras/aa-jointerview3.html

This is an extensive JKR interview which clearifies some things:

Important points in the interview said:

Book 7:
is shorter than OotP
reveals more on Dumbledore's ancestry
is definitely the last HP book, there might be an encyclopedia, or a Book on Dumbledore
HP is not the heir of Gryffindor
R.A.B. seems to Regulus Black, more or less confirmed
scar is still the last word
some good points about Draco
some hints about Aberforth Dumbledore ("you see him very briefly"; barman?)
there's hint at another Horcrux in HBP
etc.

The interview is definitely worth a read

Jaybird376 said:
There is another person mentioned in the book that fits at least 2 of the letters (R and B) of the initials. Sirius' brother has the name Regulus. The belief is he is dead, but that could simply be a cover like Petigrew performed, to hide. Judging by the character of Sirius, the style would seem to fit for taking that kind of action.
Most likely he is dead, but the amulet is either hidden in the Black house, or a hint to its whereabouts are.

Just like to put my thoughts out on Snape (And no, I'm not going to bother to shrink the text: this is rather late in the thread, and if you haven't read the book and don't want any surprises, you really don't belong in this thread anyway):

I think that ever since he turned spy for Dumbledore before Harry's parents were killed, he's been playing both sides. He heard the prophecy, and decided that his master might not be so invincible as he had once thought. A rather powerful wizard in his own right, and seemingly very similar to Voldemort himself in many respects, he chose to find a way to save his own skin. He succeeded in convincing Voldemort of the utility of a spy in Dumbledore's ranks.

Then, Snape easily gained Dumbledore's trust (Dumbledore is a trusting person).

As for Snape's relationship with Harry, one only needs to look at his relationship with Harry's father. James and his friends were the best at everything. They were popular, good-looking, and got better grades. But Snape felt that he was the better wizard (not without reason: a young student who is making up his own spells and correcting a potions book? Quite impressive).

So, he entered into his relationship with Harry with the image of James in his mind: a showoff who really isn't nearly as good as he says he is. Thus, he can never see Harry do anything well. But that doesn't mean he wants to kill Harry. He wants to prove that Harry is a substandard wizard with no special powers or abilities. And the bad thing is, he's always succeeded in making Harry feel this way in his presence (hence Harry's inability to jinx Snape at the end of the book).

I'm willing to bet that what Snape is feeling at the end of the sixth book is that he will win no matter what happens. He knows that Harry has a chance to defeat Voldemort, but doesn't believe it really plausible. He sees Harry as inept, but has also seen that he seems to be blessed with a remarkable string of luck. But Snape wins either way: if Voldemort is gone, Snape may believe he has a chance of taking his place (or, at the very least, would then be free to choose his own life: the life of a Death Eater can hardly be called safe). If Harry is defeated he will feel that his beliefs on Harry's ineptitude will be seen by all, Snape's victory over James then complete.

Now, as for why he killed Dumbledore, I'd say that's because Snape is not a brave man. He is a Slytherin, and exemplefies all that there is to being a Slytherin: when the choice comes down to himself or anybody else, he'll choose himself every time. He likely did not know what he was getting into in the beginning of the book. It is very likely that he did it in an attempt to discover what Draco's mission was. It seems doubtful Voldemort would have confided in Snape, given what we know know of Voldemort's personality (he has no friends).

So while I don't think Snape is "all bad," that is to say, he's not as evil as Voldemort, he is still going to be wholly and completely Harry's opponent in the seventh book. By the actions at the end of the Sixth book, he is forced to be completely in the Death Eater camp, and won't betray his master unless he is absolutely and completely certain that he, Snape, will come out ahead. And he certainly won't betray his master to Harry, whom he seeks to denigrate.

Chalnoth said:
Jaybird376 said:
There is another person mentioned in the book that fits at least 2 of the letters (R and B) of the initials. Sirius' brother has the name Regulus. The belief is he is dead, but that could simply be a cover like Petigrew performed, to hide. Judging by the character of Sirius, the style would seem to fit for taking that kind of action.
Most likely he is dead, but the amulet is either hidden in the Black house, or a hint to its whereabouts are.

Kreacher has it in his stash IMO.

Chalnoth said:
He likely did not know what he was getting into in the beginning of the book. It is very likely that he did it in an attempt to discover what Draco's mission was.

I see what you're saying - but the Unbreakable Vow, come on, he knew where it could only lead to death.

He took the vow because he was told to by dumbledore .

Harry needs the rage of dumbledores death to kill snape . He needs to kill snape to create his own Horcurx. He needs hisd own horcurx so that he can killhimself and destroy riddles last horcurx before he can face him .

Dumbledore was right in trusting snape as snape is the only one who would go through with it and kill him and to make sure he did he made him take the vow

I believe in the end harry will die however . Completely . Which is why i think it was dumb how he broke things off with ginny and didn't keep going with it for longer

My other theroy is that harry already created a horcurx un known to him when his parents were struck down . That is why he can beat riddle beacuse he is almost imortal too

Harry will never create a Horcrux. He hates the dark arts, remember? And I don't think he'll die at the end, either. But Snape probably will (though the only one that Harry will kill is Voldemort, I'm pretty sure).

Chalnoth said:
Harry will never create a Horcrux. He hates the dark arts, remember? And I don't think he'll die at the end, either. But Snape probably will (though the only one that Harry will kill is Voldemort, I'm pretty sure).
he was using the dark arts alot in this book. Under the direction of the half blood prince

jvd said:
he was using the dark arts alot in this book. Under the direction of the half blood prince
Sure, but he would never go so far as to splinter his own soul. In particular, Rowling wouldn't want that. Rowling has often written her own views/desires into Dumbledore's character. Witness what Dumbledore said about the power of a soul that is still whole (or something similar).

Perhaps . ALthough I don't much see any other way . I also really don't see how she is giong to wrap the story up in 1 book when he still needs 4 more hocruxs . She was never one for fast paced books . Yet in the last book we need to smuch to be wrapped up .

Well, If Hogwarts is closed then there won't be much else to write about except the finish to the story. I imagine she'll be able to get it all in.

Moose said:
Well, If Hogwarts is closed then there won't be much else to write about except the finish to the story. I imagine she'll be able to get it all in.
But...but....there's got to be quidditch in there SOMEWHERE.

RussSchultz said:
But...but....there's got to be quidditch in there SOMEWHERE.
Nope. There won't be. Sorry. (Or is that sarcasm I smell...?)
You know, that was the last Quidditch match. I knew as I wrote it that it was the last time I was going to be doing a Quidditch match. To be honest with you, Quidditch matches have been the bane of my life in the Harry Potter books. They are necessary in that people expect Harry to play Quidditch, but there is a limit to how many ways you can have them play Quidditch together and for something new to happen.
Source.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was sarcasm. Quite frankly, I found the quidditch matches a neat idea that should have remained a back story item, and not a focus.

RussSchultz said:
Quite frankly, I found the quidditch matches a neat idea that should have remained a back story item, and not a focus.
I think that's as much the movies fault as it is the writing.

Back