G70 fragment pipeline break down?

j^aws

Veteran
Each G70 fragment pipeline can issue 5 instructions/cycle, can anyone give a breakdown? Here's my guess,

5 maths
4 maths + 1 texture
4 maths + 1 norm
3 maths + 1 texture + 1 norm

Would that be correct? IIRC, the vec4 ALUs also work on texture data with the texture ALUs?

Thanks...

I might as well post what I posted in the other thread:

Sadly, this breaks down extremely quickly. One thing I learnt from the efficiency thread is that NV40/G70 has "combinations" of instructions that it can execute in one cycle.

There might be 50 or 100 of these different combinations (just a guess). Some combinations will amount to only 2 instructions per clock. Others might amount to 6 or 8 or more instructions.

It's hideously complicated.

Simple texture operations appear not to block ALU1 - I don't know what defines this. But I don't think it's possible to say that a texture operation on ALU1 always blocks that ALU from other instructions.

Jawed

This is the code snippet I posted in that thread:

Code:
# clock 1
texld r0, t0, s0; # tex fetch
madr r0, r0, c1.r, c1.g # _bx2 in tex
nrm_pp r1.rgb, t4 # nrm in shader 0
dp3 r1.r, r1, r0 # 3D dot product in shader 1
mul r0.a, r0, r0 # dual issue in shader 1

# clock 2
mul r1.a, r0.a, c2.a # dual issue in shader 0
mul r0.rgb, r1.r, r0 # dual issue in shader 0
add r0.a, r1.r, r1.r # fx2 in shader 0
mad r0.rg, r0.a, c1, c1.a # mad w/2 const in shader 1
mul r1.ba, r1.a, r0.a, c2 # dual issue in shader 1

# clock 3
rcp r0.a, r0.a # reciprocal in shader 0
mul r0.rg r0, r0.a # div instruction in shader 0
mul r0.a, r0.a, r1.a # dual issue in shader 0
texld r2, r0, s1 # texture fetch
mad r2.rgb, r0.a, r2, c5 # mad in shader 1
abs r0.a, r0.a # abs in shader 1
log r0.a, r0.a # log in shader 1

# clock 4
rcp r0.a, t1.a # reciprocal in shader 0
mul r0.rg, t1, r0.a # div instruction in shader 0
mul r0.a, r0.a, c2.g # dual issue in shader 0
texld r1, r0, s3 # tex fetch
mad r1.rgb, r1, c4, -r2 # mad in shader 1
exp r0.a, r0.a # dual issue in shader 1

# clock 5
texld r0, r1.bar, s2 # texture coordinates swizzle
mad r0.rgb, r0, v0, r1 # color calculation in shader 1
mul r0.a, r1, v0 # dual issue in shader 1

# clock 6
mul r1.rgb, r0.a, c5.a # mul in shader 0
mad r0.rgb, r1, r0.a, r0 # mad in shader 1
mov r0.a, c3.a # move in shader 1
mov oC0, r0 # move in shader 1

Anything from 3 to 7 instructions per clock.

Jawed

I am sorry but this shader needs 9 clocks

label l0 // 0 SCT
texr h0, v4, #0, 2D // 0 TEX
nrmh h2.xyz, g8_n // 0 TEX
madr r0, h0, cConst01.x, cConst01.y // 0 SCB
dp3r_m2 r0.y, h2, r0 // 1 SCT
mulr r0.w, r0, r0 // 1 SCT
mulr r0.x, r0.w, cConst02.w // 1 SCB
divr r1.zw, g5.xxxy, g5.w // 2 SCT
madr r1.xy, r0.y, cConst01.xyxx, cConst01.w // 2 SCT
madr r0.x, r0, r0.y, cConst02.w // 2 SCB
divr r0.zw, r1.xxxy, r0.y // 3 SCT
texr h3, r1.zwzz, #3, 2D // 3 TEX
divr r2.w, r0.x, r0.y // 4 SCT
texr h0.xyz, r0.zwzz, #1, 2D // 4 TEX
madr r0.xyz, r2.w, h0, cConst05 // 4 SCB
madr r1.xyz, h3, cConst04, -r0 // 5 SCT
movr r0.xy, r1.xzzw // 5 SCB
movr r0.z, h3.w // 5 SCB
movh h4, v1 // 6 TEX
mulr r1.w, h3, h4 // 6 SCB
mulr r0.w, r1, cConst05 // 7 SCT
texr h0.xyz, r0.yzxw, #2, CUBE // 7 TEX
madr r0.xyz, h0, h4, r1 // 7 SCB
madr h0.xyz, r0.w, r1.w, r0 // 8 SCB
movh h0.w, cConst03 // 8 SCB

Pass SCT TEX SCB
1: 50% 100% 100%
2: 50% 0% 25%
3: 100% 0% 25%
4: 50% 100% 0%
5: 25% 100% 75%
6: 75% 0% 75%
7: 0% 0% 25%
8: 25% 100% 75%
9: 0% 0% 100%
MEAN: 41% 44% 55%

Effective passes: 9.00

That shader iss a piece of code that Nvidia shows to the press to highlight the 6800 pipeline. I don't expect it to run as it is said by Nvidia even with a 7800 GTX.

And you'll notice some stupid things in it. Nvidia wanted to have as many instructions as possible so it looks like they added useless things. For example ABS before LOG. Nvidia said me one year ago that there were errors in it because the guy who wrote it didn't know D3D.

Okay, I'm even more confused by this varying issueing rate!

So a single G70 fragment pipeline can vary between 3-9 instructions/cycle then???

I'm just guessing here but could this be local to a 'single' pipeline but overall for a 'quad' pipeline,it would be constant at 20 instructions/cycle?

i.e. a quad can be considered as an independent SIMD processor that can issue 20 inst./cycle but a single pipe within the quad can have a variance from 5 inst./cycle but the quad remains consistent at 20 inst./cycle?

Jaws said:

So a single G70 fragment pipeline can vary between 3-9 instructions/cycle then???

I'm just guessing here but could this be local to a 'single' pipeline but overall for a 'quad' pipeline,it would be constant at 20 instructions/cycle?

i.e. a quad can be considered as an independent SIMD processor that can issue 20 inst./cycle but a single pipe within the quad can have a variance from 5 inst./cycle but the quad remains consistent at 20 inst./cycle?
No, the same instructions are executed for every pixel in the quad.

Where did you get 9 instructions/clock from?

Xmas said:
Jaws said:

No, the same instructions are executed for every pixel in the quad.

Where did you get 9 instructions/clock from?

From the code snippet from Jawed, it shows upto 7 instructions/cycle and upto 9 from the other snippet or am I missing something here? This is what's confusing because it's quoted at 5 inst./cycle?

Jaws said:
From the code snippet from Jawed, it shows upto 7 instructions/cycle and upto 9 from the other snippet or am I missing something here? This is what's confusing because it's quoted at 5 inst./cycle?
Who stated 5 instructions/cycle?

The code snippet from Jawed shows 7 inst/cycle, yes, but you have to be careful on what you count as instructions, and what could be optimized away.
For example, ABS before LOG is unnecessary, because LOG implies ABS. Also, ABS is just the simple operation of clearing the sign bit, and certainly implemented as an input modifier. So you can have as many ABS per clock as there are input registers used. Does it make sense to count MOVs? Because, depending on the architecture, MOV could be just input register selection. Likewise, the final MOV oC0, r0 probably does nothing at all.

The snippet posted by Demirug only shows 3 inst/cycle.

1119063771Y3O0GyEDBw_3_3_l.jpg

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Nzg0LDM=

Xmas said:
Jaws said:
Who stated 5 instructions/cycle?

This diagram shows 5 inst./cycle? It sounds like they're including the 16bit normalise instruction with this number?

I'm trying to get to an idea of what should be counted, it's like the IBM G5's, IIRC, they say 8 or 5 instruction/cycle depending on whether you include branch/load/stores etc...so this seems to be similarly confusing too, depending on what you count?

It's actually even more complex than that.

There are limits on input and output register counts, how the ops use the execution units and how they are paired.

Without very specific details on the pipleline which NVidia are unlikely to make avaialable, numbers like 3 or 7 are just simplifications.

Jaws said:
This diagram shows 5 inst./cycle? It sounds like they're including the 16bit normalise instruction with this number?

I'm trying to get to an idea of what should be counted, it's like the IBM G5's, IIRC, they say 8 or 5 instruction/cycle depending on whether you include branch/load/stores etc...so this seems to be similarly confusing too, depending on what you count?
It seems to me they count 4 madd/dp (dual- and co-issue) plus FP16 normalize, and the special functions "replacing" one of the co-issued instructions each (which is not entirely true, as you can still perform a madd on the SF result).

What exactly can the "fog-alu" do and whats the pros/cons with having one of the ALU´s tied to textureinst vs not as ATI?

I know its a matter of tradeoffs in transistorbudgets and the like but should not a g70 with 2 twins ALU´s + a third identical with texture be more transistor effecient than adding 2 quads as current g70 does?

It seems not all texture operations block ALU1 in NV40/G70 and even when they do, the block is only for a limited time (1 cycle?).

Will have to wait until one of the real experts comes along...

Jawed

Yeah Jawed also reg the Fog-ALU im hope someone can answer.

It just seems better from a trans-budget to add one ALU to each pipe instead of adding quads.

ERP said:
It's actually even more complex than that.

There are limits on input and output register counts, how the ops use the execution units and how they are paired.
little OT: so I assume they started to release some in depth info about RSX..:)

Back