GI.biz updates article - Switch NOT dropped from PS3

All of the "Sony sucks and can't deliver" rhetoric on this forum and others was based on reading the article as saying that they'd dropped the built-in switch functionality that was announced at E3.

Obviously, alot of this was because people don't understand the difference between a router and a switch and a hub, but still the perception was there, and that's what needed correction, so what they got wrong - or at the very least miscommunicated was the most important piece of information that caused all of this nonsense.

It doesn't help that 1up and Gamespot and many other articles have subsequently gotten the story wrong as well.

Oh well, long story short the PS3 will stil act as a switch right?

That's cool, definately can't complain.

Would it be possible to say, use the PS3 wi-fi connecctability to connect to your PC, then plug a 360 into one of the available ports and use the PS3 as a wireless switch to stream off the PC for he 360 and PS3???

I'm not to ineterested in gigabit speeds, but the ability to connect other cosoles to the PS3 and have it act as a switch is certainly appealing, especially given the PS3's built-in wi-fi.

Would it be possible to say, use the PS3 wi-fi connecctability to connect to your PC, then plug a 360 into one of the available ports and use the PS3 as a wireless switch to stream off the PC for he 360 and PS3???

Damn this guy is smart. I never thought of that. I swear if I were getting an X360 I would do exactly that. It seems like some people who might get both consoles will exploit the extra ethernet ports that the PS3 has.

Can't complain. It would be a nice clean setup. Would you need the PS3 to be on the exploit this feature though?

Hell ya, it would be a super clean set-up, not to mention you could save money on a) the x360 wi-fi card($20) and b) wireless switch ($25)

that's an extra $45 towards a PS3 for me if this is true....

althout I doubt I will have the patience to wait lol ...xmas 2006 is sooo faarrr(i'm pretty sure the NA release will be late 2006) regardless, cool possibilities for sure.

p.s. I assume the PS3 woudl have to be on, all switches require a power source.

p.p.s does anyone know of the PS3 controllers will let you turn on/off the console like the 360?? lord knows I don't wanna get up if I don't have to!

Unless you game sitting on your porcelaine throne, with a fridge right nearby, I would think you'd have to get up at least occationally to take care of various bodily needs, scoob... You might as well turn on/off your x360 at the same time. :rolleyes:

And chances are high that PS3 won't really turn OFF when you turn it off, lots of consumer electronics these days is still powered while in an off-state so that you may turn it on using a remote control for example. PCs work the same way too, have been for nearly ten years now. Thus, the switch may well remain powered even when the system is "off"...

well it was a joke.

but still, it would be pretty dumb if I can turn the 360 on with the controller, but then have to get and and walk over and turn the PS3 just to stream from the 360.

If it stays an active switch while the power is off then it's not really an issue.

Unless you game sitting on your porcelaine throne, with a fridge right nearby, I would think you'd have to get up at least occationally to take care of various bodily needs, scoob... You might as well turn on/off your x360 at the same time.

When were u in my bathroom ?

Snoy has talked a lot about the PS3 being an always on device. It's function as a switch and possible wireless access point point to this. You don't power down your router when you leave the room. The PS3 certainly will have a sleep or low power mode of operation where it's passive functions still work.

Acert93 said:
GI.biz said:
The PlayStation 3 was originally intended to act as a home network router, according to Sony Computer Entertainment boss Ken Kutaragi, who has revealed that the functionality has been dropped because it would have been too expensive.

The only thing that GI got wrong was WHEN it was dropped.

I hope you are aware of the fact that you are quoting the *updated* GI.biz article.

TTP said:
Acert93 said:
GI.biz said:
The PlayStation 3 was originally intended to act as a home network router, according to Sony Computer Entertainment boss Ken Kutaragi, who has revealed that the functionality has been dropped because it would have been too expensive.

The only thing that GI got wrong was WHEN it was dropped.

I hope you are aware of the fact that you are quoting the *updated* GI.biz article.

Not much different from what was originally reported. I did not copy the entire article in the below post, but note what I did copy in the first 2 paragraphs

The PlayStation 3 will no longer act as a home network router, according to Sony Computer Entertainment boss Ken Kutaragi, who has revealed that the functionality has been dropped because it would have been too expensive.

Speaking with Japanese publication Nikkei Electronics, Kutaragi said that the original specification for the PS3 would have allowed the system's three Gigabit Ethernet ports to be used as a home router.

The update:

Speaking with Japanese publication Nikkei Electronics, Kutaragi said that the original specification for the PS3 would have allowed the system's three Gigabit Ethernet ports to be used as a home router.

The only big thing different in the first 2 paragraphs is that GI added a redundant "original" to the first paragraph. Ironccally they still have the Harrison quote and the phrase, "router or hub".

The original article indicated this change was from the original spec; only GI's confusing commentary on the NE news in the last part of the article was confusing because they brought up E3.

Again, the news was correct, the dating was not.

Anyhow, not much of an issue... for anyone. I have not heard a single person bemain that their PS3 might not be a router. The most interesting aspect, to me, is that it reveals a bit of Sony's vision and the process of making a console. You start big and cut the fat to hit the right features at the right price.

Even if Sony removed all but 1 ethernet port I doubt most would even complain, so the "what" was not really important to begin with, but more the insight it offers into the industry.

Brad Grenz said:
Snoy has talked a lot about the PS3 being an always on device. It's function as a switch and possible wireless access point point to this. You don't power down your router when you leave the room. The PS3 certainly will have a sleep or low power mode of operation where it's passive functions still work.

Yeah it'll also help with the millions of PS3's GRID computing and world simulation... :LOL:

Acert93 said:
Again, the news was correct, the dating was not.

I know it doesnt make much difference. I was just being an ass ;)

Anyway, I dont understand why you are trying to "defend" GI.biz by saying [see the above quote]

The news was not correct because of the dating. It completely fucks the message.

Would you excuse me if I'd say "Adolf Hitler is set to conquer Europe!" and then amend by saying "Adolf Hitler was set to conquer Europe! Cos ya know, he's dead" :)

BTW, that news also implies that they have no idea of the difference between a router and a hub, as well as that they were sleeping during Sony's conf. I myself didn't need to be informed about the originating article 'cos I was already like "WTF are they talking about" as soon as I read "router" 'cos I knew (has anyone doing this job should) that router functionality was never announced in the first place.

That's just bad journalism. Uninformed and misleading.

I have not heard a single person bemain that their PS3 might not be a router.

Yeah, not a big issue. But you should note the conseguences: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3141923 (*points at readers' feedback*)

TTP said:
The news was not correct because of the dating. It completely fucks the message.

That is what it comes down to.

Acert you can't claim the news was correct when a huge portion of what makes the thing newsworthy is completely wrong. Unless the entire story is correct it isn't correct. The timing was the important part -- it changes the situation a great deal.

GI.biz doesn't deserve to have a defense, Rob Fahey blatantly posted wrong information and doesn't have half a brain to correct it.

TTP said:
Anyway, I dont understand why you are trying to "defend" GI.biz by saying [see the above quote]

Following both threads, you will note I am not defending GI at all. They screwed the pooch on their commentary (note: not the news).

What I was specifically posting about was 3 or 4 B3D members saying, "GI.biz lied, nothing was dropped". One member even put a link to backup this statement--which contradicted this stance.

So I am trying to further clarify that GI messed up the dating. Although they did not misquote KK, who did say "original"... they misunderstood what KK said in conjunction with what Harrison said at E3... that error still remains on their site!! doh! Yet GI did not mess up the content of their news itself, just the dating. So the statements saying nothing was never dropped are just as factually incorrect.

So the difference is more similar to saying the US stormed the beaches of Normandy on Sep 6th, 1944 and not June 6th, 1944. Right place, right event, off by a couple months ;)

BTW, that news also implies that they have no idea of the difference between a router and a hub

Probably correct, lets email them and find out! :D

as well as that they were sleeping during Sony's conf.

No, probably drooling over [Game Name Sensored #1] and [Game Name Sensored #2]!

I myself didn't need to be informed about the originating article 'cos I was already like "WTF are they talking about" as soon as I read "router" 'cos I knew (has anyone doing this job should) that router functionality was never announced in the first place.

The E3 statement was at the very end of the original news, and it was connected to Harrison's comments from E3 wh I found the news worthwhile because it did take information, for the first 3 paragraphs, from KK himself. And that information was correct.

As for being informed, the article has shed light on some features that were never officially announced. And the original news piece I posted never even mentioned the date.

I sheepishly admitt: I did not even read the last couple comments (they were shot and seemed meaningly), specifically the E3 one, until someone else pointed it out in the thread. :oops: I was more interested in what NE had quoted KK at the beginning. And in truth, their own article was at ends, factually, in all details.

i.e. they need better editors reviewing their news. Or better yet--they need to leave the USELESS COMMENTARY OUT!! A couple sites online are pretty good about presenting news with little to no interpretation, interjections, or ponderings on the hard news. But as mckmass was noting the other day on the PGR3 dev commentary, if it ain't got some bias, bash, and pomp no one reads :cry:

That's just bad journalism. Uninformed and misleading.

It happens. They were reporting what was said and *assumed* a connection. Assumptions and bias are in about every news piece published today. Not a good thing, but more of a product of our times (No, I do not agree with it... but then again news today is defined as anything sensational to grab headlines and keep the money rolling... boring news, is, well not news). That said, GI's big sin is they should have corrected their story. That is what sticks out about their poor journalism to me. That error is what is a display of bad journalism IMO. Not the error itself, but how they responded in their correction.

It is very similar to real life. We all make mistakes at one time or another. It is a matter of integrity and honor in how we respond. Do we fess up to the mistake or do we ignore it, look the other way, escuse our actions away, or blame others?

On the broader issue of news in the industry, I am not sure there is much hope. A lot of the very techie/non-controversial sites do very badly. Shoe string budgets. Yet some of the more shady sites (like the INQ) seem to be quoted all over the place. Even more interesting is how reputable sites (like Toms) will quote it. Although I assume that is often a front to cover their contacts, it lends an air of reliability to INQ that really is not there. :?

Ditto the mainstream press. Actually, what GI did is very common in the industry. In this case the bulk of GI was correct. The issue was some interjections of the timing, based on other comments, at the end. While not good news reporting and misleading on the fine details the bulk of what they said was on target and not misleading. They screwed up, they should apologize.

As should all the posters who have said, "Nothing has been dropped" ;)

Again, not defending GI (they still not have corrected their article!) but I am not defending the apologists who are adament that nother has ever changed. The world is bigger than E3, and most of us are aware that these systems went through numerous revisions through their development. Like I said before, this information is news worthy because it gives us another level of understanding of how that process works.

Getting upset and screaming about "nothing to see here" detracts from the truth as well. There was a middle ground, and that middle ground I find interesting.

Bobbler said:
TTP said:

That is what it comes down to.

Acert you can't claim the news was correct when a huge portion of what makes the thing newsworthy is completely wrong. Unless the entire story is correct it isn't correct. The timing was the important part -- it changes the situation a great deal.

GI.biz doesn't deserve to have a defense, Rob Fahey blatantly posted wrong information and doesn't have half a brain to correct it.

:rolleyes:

Please reread my posts before you respond correcting me.

And for the record, my issue was:

Nothing was never dropped

When KK clearly said

Something was dropped

In typical B3D fashion certain individuals lampooned ALL the news because of a technicality and declaired it all wrong. When in fact the majority of it was correct.

The timing discrepancy in the article does not invalidate the accuracy of KK's quotes. I said that at the very beginning, and I am saying it now.

One error != 100% error

This is what some have claimed, and that is all I have ever argued against.

And in that regards, the news they reported from what KK said was dead on. Note I am not saying everything GI said was correct, just that they quoted KK correctly.

Attacking me as if I am some GI apologist, when I certainly am not, is silly and is yet again taking the issue out of context.

-Router features WERE removed from the original PS3 spec GI biz reported.
-This feature was not in the E3 spec as GI originally misreported.

GI biz was wrong, and B3D members saying nothing was every removed or wrong. Go back and read the threads and you will see people specifically saying router features were never included, when the news quotes of KK specifically note router features were.

I am not sure why this is all so hard to understand. EpicZero summerized it well as I already pointed out:

In the early stages of PS3 development, they originally wanted to include router functions with the PS3. But, because of cost, they decided to drop the feature. This is what was stated by in the Nikkei article. GI.biz now misinterpreted this, to believe that the router was announced at E3, but was dropped now, when in reality, Sony never announced the feature.

I agreed with this on the first page! Yet the correct news coming out has not stopped people from dismissing the fact that yes, some stuff was removed.

And that is equally inaccurate. Chastizing me for contending this point when equally incorrect quoting of sources continues on the forum is really silly.

You're right Acert.

The problem I think is that the PS3 was uinveiled at E3. Therefore, for most people, every spec for the PS3 was announced at E3.

So for something to be "droppped" in most peoples minds, it would have to have been after E3 because that was the first time specs were actually announced.

Anything before that is just an evolving design. I mean, you could probably go back 2 years and claim these companies "dropped" a laundry list of features.

How can people argue this much over the situation at hand. GI.biz...

GI.biz = Spong = The reason why people consider "Videogames Journalism" to be an oxymoron.

By the same token Acert, nothing was dropped -- if the people are considering E3 announcement as the starting point then there was nothing dropped. Because the PS3 didn't exist in any form that we could relate to before the E3 announcement.

Scooby_dooby hit it on the head.

We still don't have the direct translation of the Nikkei article, do we? -- all we have is second hand, obviously poor, translation from some german site who took it from the Nikkei article -- so, for all we know Kutaragi was saying that the router was never a part of the PS3 spec and it was, through poor translation, taken like this. Do we actually have direct quotes from Kutaragi? No. We have things that are what he supposedly said, after two translations (from japanese to german to english) -- you seriously going to trust that? I'd be a bit wary. Assuming the quote is exactly what Kutaragi says, then you are correct -- either way it doesn't matter for the consumer, I suppose.

Also, Sorry for jumping to conclusions earlier The timing of the cut is what makes the cut important in any way -- it isn't necessarily a cut when (if) it happened before it was announced. Of course this is all a semantics arguement at this point. I just hate stupid journalists like Rob Fahey who don't bother to do anything outside of cut/paste and make a few comments. The story wouldn't have been posted if he had half a brain.

Back