memory cards and PS3.... does anyone know....

Ok so when you play PS1 games on your PS2 you have to use a PS1 memory card (which I always thought was kind of stupid). Now I'm assuming PS3 will use memory sticks for save games...but what about backwards compatibility? Will memory sticks work for the "emulated" systems too? Does PS3 even have a slot for the "old style" memory cards?

Last time I check, it doesn't. Perhaps some sort of USB reader? And I'm pretty sure you would be able to save new PS1 and/or PS2 game saves on the memory stick.

- Z

No slots for old memory cards, so my money would be on an emulated PS1 (or PS2) memory card filing system stored on one of the supported memory units (CF/MS etc).

It wouldn't take much to write one.. the APIs used to access memory cards have been pretty simple (with the exception of card insertion/removal).

As to how you're supposed to get your PS1/PS2 saves across.. maybe there's some peripheral action being planned.

My vote is for a wireless Hub for legacy devices (controllers/memory cards etc.).
It's much neater then any kind of USB adapter, and I'd actually be more ready to pay a few extra $(say, 10-20$) for it as opposed to a cheap wired adapter.

i think it's a usb based multi-tap looking thing-a-ma-jig.

edit...
i forgot to say do-hickey and whatcha-ma-call-it :idea:

I'd have gone with emulated PS1 and PS2 cards on memstick (partition off an area of memory, use MagicGate stick only) except for how to access old saves?

Fafalada said:
My vote is for a wireless Hub for legacy devices (controllers/memory cards etc.).
It's much neater then any kind of USB adapter, and I'd actually be more ready to pay a few extra $(say, 10-20$) for it as opposed to a cheap wired adapter.
I hope for one of these hubs as well. I don't want to part with the PSOne Dual Shock just yet... However, I'd rather have it wired. No battery hassle, and I still don't believe in latency-free wireless devices... The controller is wired anyway so there's little gain in having the hub wireless.

Back