Inside X360: Jeff Henshaw Interview Part One AND TWO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to start out on another "MS FUD" tangent, but..

The total number of 1080p-capable TVs on the planet today is ... zero. There are none. Sony has got a dual ... I want to make sure I say this right, because it's science fiction. They had dual HDMI outputs off the back of the console. And I think that there's some theory that you could take dual 1080i signals and interlace them together to have a progressively rendered scene. But again, there are no TVs that actually support this. I think most people are going to actually take one of the HDMI outputs and just feed it out at 1080i.

Errr...what? That makes little sense at all. He's saying you'd need two HDMI/DVI inputs on your TV to have a 1080p picture out of PS3? :LOL:

"there's some theory" -> Just supposition. Anyway, ignoring that bit about Sony, the rest of the guide is quite informative about the XBL interface.

So ah.... I don't suppose we can make comments to the article at the website to ask if Crimson Skies was running in HD or anything, eh? I don't see any comments section.

very nice new functionality into LIVE

they took all of the best features that were in online games this gen and feedback from what we liked and hard wired it into X360 for Live so devs don't even need to design that part of Live into each game as they did this gen.

part 2 hopefully will explore the zones that separate the type of gaming experience you want to enjoy.

I also want more info on how/if you can put certain players on an ignore list so you won't end up playing with them again if you didn't like them etc. as has been speculated.

Titanio said:

The total number of 1080p-capable TVs on the planet today is ... zero. There are none. Sony has got a dual ... I want to make sure I say this right, because it's science fiction. They had dual HDMI outputs off the back of the console. And I think that there's some theory that you could take dual 1080i signals and interlace them together to have a progressively rendered scene. But again, there are no TVs that actually support this. I think most people are going to actually take one of the HDMI outputs and just feed it out at 1080i.

Errr...what? That makes little sense at all. He's saying you'd need two HDMI/DVI inputs on your TV to have a 1080p picture out of PS3? :LOL:

He might be thinking of the apple display which required two inputs. However, I think its more likely that his comment was just terribly worded rather than horribly wrong.

And second of all the US has 1080p displays just not many and they are all about $5000 and above. Way too rich for me and my $300 t.v.

Titanio said:

yes, the PS3 have two HDMI type A (1080i max), 1080p need double the channel (like the DVI, high resolution need a special dual link DVI) , use a HDMI Type B (that double the video channel) or two HDMI type A with adapter for transform in type B or direct the two type A in the TV

Quaz51 said:
yes, the PS3 have two HDMI type A (1080i max), 1080p need double the channel (like the DVI, high resolution need a special dual link DVI) , use a HDMI Type B (that double the video channel) or two HDMI type A with adapter for transform in type B or direct the two type A in the TV

Are you sure? Because there are several 1920x1200 PC monitors that only use one DVI connector. The 30" Apple uses two, but its 2560 x 1600

Quaz51 said:

I'd heard Type B was backwards compatible with dual-link DVI, but was not aware that the latter (or dual HDMI) was required for 1080p..

Also, I don't think Sony specified which type of HDMI output they'd include?

Titanio said:
Quaz51 said:

I'd heard Type B was backwards compatible with dual-link DVI, but was not aware that the latter (or dual HDMI) was required for 1080p..

Also, I don't think Sony specified which type of HDMI output they'd include?

with a photo that zoom in the PS3 ports i measure the size of the PS3 HDMI port in comparison with USB port below, the USB port mesure 12mm, the PS3 HDMI port mesure 14mm exactly like a HDMI type A, the HDMI type B for 1080p mesure 21.3mm with 29 pin (19 pin for a type A)

HDMI_AB.jpg

What the article stated about NEEDING the two HDMI for 1080p is a total and complete LIE....ok...hmmm...sorry about the outburst...

The interviewee is (with that statement, as small as it may be compared to the whole article) trying to downplay the fact that 1080p is 1) Important and 2) Practical. What he does by saying that the two HDMI connections are really for two cables that need to go to one TV to achieve 1080p is the WORST case scenario that will probably never pan out (Also I don't even think TV's are capable of takeing two Video inputs and outputting them together to make a progressive can video image).

I would consider that part of the article "MS FUD".

Cool. Way to break it down.

So the question is, does HDMI "type -A" is definately only capable of carrying a 1080i video signal max?

Quaz51 said:
with a photo that zoom in the PS3 ports i measure the size of the PS3 HDMI port in comparison with USB port below, the USB port mesure 12mm, the PS3 HDMI port mesure 14mm exactly like a HDMI type A, the HDMI type B for 1080p mesure 21.3mm with 29 pin (19 pin for a type A)

HDMI_AB.jpg
Thanks for a headsup, hadn't known about Type A/B ;)

http://www.scee.presscentre.com/imagelibrary/downloadMedia.asp?MediaDetailsID=26309

Check out this pic and it shows 2 HDMI Type B ports which are easily identifiable by the shape rather than the size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back