Kaz Hirai (SCEA) Interview - 1up/EGM

Status
Not open for further replies.
jvd said:
It's not like playing one compels you to play the others. Unless you - *shock* - actually enjoy the games and want to play the sequels! But we all know you're not inclined toward that.

It would be hard to enjoy a game if part 1 and 2 set up the story for part 3 and i'm totaly lost cause I didn't play them because the sugestion was to pick the best one

I guess it's an arguable point, but most games aren't exactly at the pinnacle of storytelling (unfortunately) - I don't play most games for the story at least. I think a lot of games are built such that you don't need to have played any previous iterations to pick them up anyway, like with many sequel movies.

If that concerns you so much, then don't play the best, just play the first - the first incarnations of all those games you mentioned are of sufficient quality anyway IMHO, and in some other cases the first can be the best in the series. And you can treat them as originals.

1080p is an option. As far as I know an option is not something negative.

Anyway, I don't see this thread headed in a positive direction, and things are just being repeated here.

Do sequels ever do that in games? Mostly a sequel duplicates a prequels gameplay, maybe tagging some extra story on the end. It's not like stories are created to span 3 iterations of a game. 1 story is created for 1 game, and if it sells well, another is created for the sequel.

Most sequels are standalone games with little more than a passing nod to prequels; maybe a few familiar characters or scenes. There are few exceptions like FFX-2, but many can be played standalone from the earlier games, especially cross generation where you might not even have the hardware to play the prequel

Tap In said:
OTOH, I think Sony has been grasping at straws by marketing on bigger numbers with no set standards or road map that we can see. (I mean how many people are really going to play with 7 controllers on one TV let alone own 7 controllers?), another example of the "bigger is better" approach.

Love them or hate them MS's approach has been much more palatable for me than Sony's so far.

Standards set for X360? It seems an egocentric view to think that perhaps Sony should, well, just follow suit. What's stopping Sony from marketing on bigger numbers when it has them? If you're so interested in road maps, perhaps Sony's map is just that: 1080p.

If you're talking about industry formats, 1080p is just as acceptable as 760p, with just a pinch of foresight applied.

Yep way too many people beating up Sony for having 1080p and dual screen play. A lack of a HDD I can understand but resolution, come on. What Sony needs to do is create 1st and 2nd party games that use 1080p so the 3rd party devs almost have to use it too from time to time.

Imagine if KZ was running in 1080p and sold 5 million copies. If another dev wanted to make a game similar to it they may decide to go 1080p just to compete.

At the end of the day it's up to Sony to tell their own 1st and 2nd party devs to us 1080 from time to time if they can. Even throw a million or two in if they have to.

Tap In said:
Thegameman said:
1.5 million 2 million?

I wouldn't doubt that the number has increased since it was quoted (2 million was what I last heard and that was quite a while ago)

I will try to find some data.

Also with LIVE (Silver membership) and a headset shipping with each launch unit, the increase in high speed internet and the fact that a credit card will no longer be required will IMO radically improve the percentage of X360 owners that participate in LIVE in the Next Gen. (compared to this gen)

It really is what MS is basing their entire strategy on IMO and I think they are right.

What you have to see is that once you are a PS2 subcriber you can always play online,on live is not like that after 12 month the acount is up,and you have to pay a fee to keep playing,from all does people MS say there have to be people that do drop out of live,but they keep counting them,also you never see sales for live on monthly basis,on PS2 every single person who buy it after the new slim model was release,can play online free.

Also sony was pass the 2 million user long time ago,but that still isn't good enuff to say that online play is the be all end all,more when even on live which is better have lag and cheater as well.

Few people play online for the amount of people who own their respective consoles.

The PS3 have build in wireless network adapter as well as several ethernet ports,so is not like MS will be the only company with online games out of the gates,look at the PSP for reference like 4 games were online ready from launch.

Both will keep playing the numbers game,but until half or more of the complete user base play online,no one can say that is the be all end all.

Shifty Geezer said:

It's amazing how cynical and negative people can be...

I'm not being negative Shifty. :D

I was comparing marketing to reality.

I see through all the BS like most people on this board do but the general public does not. When a message is given that creates a mis-perceptiontion in the public's mind (I have heard many times now that Xenos is NOT capable of 1080P therefore RSX is a more powerful GPU) I become cynical of the messenger and the message.

I hear what you're saying about WHAT the features are and HOW they might or might not get implemented but I do not appreciate the numbers being tossed about to be caught in snippets and then repeated as if it makes or breaks a deal.

As Sovere wrote, Sony has the bigger theoretical numbers in several areas so they are touting them.

I just prefer the approach of MS where they chose to use the most common denominator in all of the theoretical aspects of actual production. Numbers that will actually be seen in games... in all the games for that system as a matter of fact.

(Every game playing at 720P, AA applied, LIVE enabled, custom soundtracks so users can play their own music in game etc)

I like that promise of stability and not pie in the sky hope that a dev will make a 1080p game. It is similar to Xbox1 with the H/D resolution a possibility but rarely used. It disappointed a lot of people.

I do realize where I am though and that high end, push the envelope of specs, cutting edge is what people salivate over, and I understand that. :p :D

I just don't think all of the specs are relevant to the necessity or direction of the next 5 years of gaming.

I really like the idea that Sony is including Blue Ray for movies. However, personally, I think Sony rolling out a full online plan at E3 and adding a HDD and a standard required resolution (edict to devs) that is attainable graphics-wise would have been preferable to presenting the potential of 1080p or 7 controllers or two H/D screens.

I'm really just talking about my opinion of what's palatable to me as a consumer, and how I would rather be marketed to. :D

but that's just me. ;)

onanie said:
If you're talking about industry formats, 1080p is just as acceptable as 760p, with just a pinch of foresight applied.

but is it attainable on PS3 in MOST games with all of the bells and whistles running and at an acceptable frame rate comparable to a 720P game?

If devs answer an across the board YES, then I'll stand corrected. :)

Tap In said:
but is it attainable on PS3 in MOST games with all of the bells and whistles running and at an acceptable frame rate comparable to a 720P game?

If devs answer an across the board YES, then I'll stand corrected. :)

On the other hand, no one has said a definitive "no".

And, an edict to developers is just silly.

but I do not appreciate the numbers being tossed about to be caught in snippets and then repeated as if it makes or breaks a deal.

As Sovere wrote, Sony has the bigger theoretical numbers in several areas so they are touting them.

I just prefer the approach of MS where they chose to use the most common denominator in all of the theoretical aspects of actual production. Numbers that will actually be seen in games... in all the games for that system as a matter of fact. I like that promise of stability and not pie in the sky hope that a dev will make a 1080p game. It is similar to Xbox1 with the H/D resolution a possibility but rarely used. It disappointed a lot of people.

What like MS's 2 million users online? Or MS and the one billion user comment? Both sides do this equally. They just do it in different ways. What about the talk about Xenos having free 4X AA? People everywhere are now assuming that because MS is pushing it so much that the RSX can't and will not have good AA.

Again both sides are doing it. I think MS are overhyping the online aspect of gaming just like Sony doing it about 1080p. But what it really comes down to is who can bring this hype into reality. To me if it becomes reality then it should not be considered hype anymore. But right now it's hype.

mckmas8808 said:
..... But what it really comes down to is who can bring this hype into reality. To me if it becomes reality then it should not be considered hype anymore. But right now it's hype.

agreed. :D

As a huge xbox fan, I would like to clear up some things.

Sony touting 1080p; there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, imo.
1080p displays: You can buy a 37" westinghouse for under $2000
People will HAVE to start buying newer tvs in the US when the analog signal gets cut off.

What I find funny from the Sony fans, is that they absolutely want to tout 1080p in one breath and then say well MSFT is touting something that 80% of their fans can't use...as if this is different than the even smaller 1080p market penetration.
What I find funny from xbox fans is that they (includes me sometimes) are so quick to discount 1080p because of its small market share... as if that is different than the only 10-13% adoption rate of HDTV (in the US and far worse in Europe).

In defense of myself it is because I adopted early and one of my sets only does 480p/1080i the other of my sets does the 4/7/1080i, that is why I discount 1080p, purely for selfish reasons.

EDIT1 : grammatical

In defense of myself it is because I adopted early and one of my sets only does 480p/1080i the other of my sets does the 4/7/1080i, that is why I discount 1080p, purely for selfish reasons.

Hey at least you're honest. :) First xbox fan that I ever heard of in life to actually admit the truth. WOW!!! :oops: Your respect meter has risen by 20 points in my eyes.

mckmas8808 said:
Hey at least you're honest. :) First xbox fan that I ever heard of in life to actually admit the truth. WOW!!! :oops: ....

please tell me you are kidding

either that or you have been exposed to moronic Xbox owners. ;)

please tell me you are kidding
either that or you have been exposed to moronic Xbox owners.

I wish I was playing. I never heard someone say I'm an xbox fan and then turn around and say something so true in Sony's favor like NucNavST3 did. He actually told people about a 1080p TV that is being sold for under $2000. I still can't believe it. He's a good guy.

People will HAVE to start buying newer tvs in the US when the analog signal gets cut off.

When is this ? I would love to see stations cut off ntsc broadcasts . That will be the death of the tv industry .

Also that tv your talking about ? 60hz at 1080p ?

4. HD TV is a mess in Europe. The US has ~10M HD TV units installed in the US at the end of 2004, with a projected 15M by the end of 2005. Of the units currently installed an insignificant fraction have 1080p.

Over 10 million sets were shipped in 2004 alone.

There are various forecasts, all expecting well over 50 million within the next 3-5 years.

There's a reason companies have invested billions on new large display factories.

Now, will 1080p become more than high-end in the next 5 years? Don't know, but they will be within price ranges that most people who would spend $300 on consoles could realistically afford. Of course, the bulk of the console market buys consoles when they drop well below $200.

Despite high prices, sales of large HDTV displays are growing in the high double-digits.

MS is slowly infesting their Xbox division with the mentality of their main software division; ie. create a standard that they themselves decide upon and demand all content creators to adhere to said standard. Windows-ish anyone?

Sony on the other hand is maintaining its ideology to allow the content creators to use their hardware in any form they see fit. It seems even in the last couple years the notoriously stingy (and idiotic) SCEA has eased up their approval process.

I don't know about you guys, but if I was a developer, I don't care how easy it is, I would not appreciate a hardware manufacturer telling me how to make my game. This attitude is exactly why so many companies disliked dealing with Nintendo in the early 90's.

To many developers, where is the motivation to make their game Live-compatible if they don't have any online setup, and/or don't care about the service? MS doesn't even pay a portion of the subscription fees to each publisher.

mckmas8808 said:

Hey at least you're honest. :) First xbox fan that I ever heard of in life to actually admit the truth. WOW!!! :oops: Your respect meter has risen by 20 points in my eyes.

I try to mention that I am an xbox fan in all of my posts, just so people know which "side" I am currently on, lol. But, the Navy has done a very good job instilling in me honesty and integrity. I can also honestly say that there was nothing special about the ps2 that made we want to buy it. That being said I may have only bought the xbox because I was older and had more money to spend :) Now I am in love with everything that it offers me. My number one reason for buying an x360, as an HD owner, anti-aliasing. Sounds crazy but the jaggies are SO pronounced on HD sets. I didn't feel like I wanted to wait another year for Sony to get rid of them. I have also had professional dealings with Sony (America), and all things being equal it is like dealing with Wal-Mart, yet worse because Sony America and Sony Japan rarely got along....WAPITA

But from my experience, Sony is the most likely company to make their own products incompatible. Their answer to that is that the following product was better (I am not at liberty to disclose what they really said), which in the professional world, only meant different and $$$$.
So while I don't hate Sony, for personal reasons, they are not on my Christmas list if you know what I mean. I'm not saying these things as a consumer whose ps2 drive failed or psp has dead pixels, but from a buyer/purchaser prospective (although I do have a Sony dead pixel story also...maybe or maybe not related to psp)

For the fanatics out there, please don't read into this more than what I wrote, these are my personal/professional experiences with Sony...yes I have dealt with MSFT (worlds easier to deal with), no I don't own stock in either. I've already stated I have preordered two 360's, I have no clue if I will buy either the Rev or the PS3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back