O..M..G..NEC is SICK!! 16X DVD-RAM coming soon!!

Nicked said:
And I just bought a $200 DVD-burner. Sometimes I hate how fast computer technology moves. :D

Wow that's a lot of money for a DVD burner. I presume it's an external one? Anyway yeah computer tech moves really fast, but you gotta jump in at some point. :)

DVD-RAM is more like a floppy disc than DVD+/-RW. Like a floppy disc (and MO, and harddisks), they have concentric tracks. So they tend to have better random access latency.

Saem said:
I don't get it, is there really all that big an advantage of DVD-RAM over DVD-RW?

Long durability of minimum 30 years.
Can be rewritten > 100,000 times (DVD±RW ca. 1,000 times).
No DVD burning software required in computers – discs can be used and accessed like a removable hard disk; on MS Windows requires special DVDRAM driver or InCD program.
Very fast access of smaller files on the disc.
Automatic hardware verification of written data, no need to run a software verification after the burning finished
The cartridges make it very handy (where applicable).
In DVD recorders DVD-RAM is the only removable medium which allows time shifting.

I'd LOVE to see a NEC DVDRW with DVD-RAM compatibility... I'd buy that in a second. NEC si teh bozz with DVDRW IMO; very good quality and good features, yet cheap to buy. :)

Ah, concentric circles, okay, that makes a huge difference.

What about format, does it use it's own filesystem or is that up to the OS?

DVD-RAM can be formatted with FAT32 or various UDF filesystems under Windows. I don't know about other OS, but I've heard that some people managed to use ext2fs on DVD-RAM, so I think it's up to the OS.

now if only they'd make one available in slot-loader style...

I want a device driver of some sort that can map A: to a floppy-sized partition on a DVDRAM disc... Lots of small boot apps that need floppys to work, but I don't have a floppydrive (and don't want to get one either).

Guden Oden said:
I want a device driver of some sort that can map A: to a floppy-sized partition on a DVDRAM disc... Lots of small boot apps that need floppys to work, but I don't have a floppydrive (and don't want to get one either).

Well, you can, more or less. And for most BIOSes it doen't even have to be a floppy-sized boot image anymore. But you would have to rewrite the boot image every time, as there is still no support for booting from CD/DVDs that uses something like FAT32.

Yes, the native support for optical drives still sucks in that respect.

why the hell do i need to rewrite my DVDs? well i guess they cost too much? Nah... they will go the way of CDRW... 8cents a disc. I got a spool of 50 DVDr16x and it was so cheap i would never buy a RW everagain... Oh and the 30 years is cool.... untill the next format that last 50years... im not to excited about this tech... unless I was a looter stealing software to show my looter friends. :rolleyes:

Guden Oden,

Sorry, I am just trying to see why all the excitement is for. I have not burnt a CD in years, and my new DVD burner has not been used yet. Once I get a camcorder, I will be making family videos but until then it just kind of sits there. =)

Oh, if your DVDRAM can back up stuff you created hundreds of times over, why not just used CDRW? =p

Back