Triathlon - How will I do?

What will be the overall Joe's overall triathlon pace (minutes per mile)?

• Total voters
If you know how to swim then it's quite hard to drown unless the water's so cold your muscles bail out on you. (Former youth competition swimmer speaking. :p) If you start getting incredibly tired you can always just float at the surface, waving your arms slightly to stay boyant. And keep plenty air in the lungs. Of course, doing that won't win you any trophies, lol.

Isn't the swimming bit the first leg of the triathlon though? Then you should have no problem making it out of the river alive. :D

If you know how to swim then it's quite hard to drown unless the water's so cold your muscles bail out on you. (Former youth competition swimmer speaking. :p) If you start getting incredibly tired you can always just float at the surface, waving your arms slightly to stay boyant. And keep plenty air in the lungs. Of course, doing that won't win you any trophies, lol.

Isn't the swimming bit the first leg of the triathlon though? Then you should have no problem making it out of the river alive. :D
FIrst part of the triathlon. I'm planning on having a wetsuit, the river has typically measured around 60-65degrees. SO VERY COLD. :) for me at least.

The goal is to do a combo of freestyle, and doggy paddle. Im not trying to win any awards, just trying to scratch this item off my bucket list. It's been there for too long.

here is my race log from a triathlon forum I frequent:

Finished it. :) It took 3 years, but my first tri is finally in the history books.

http://milliseconds.com/participants/detail/806460572
edit:hmm... not sure why the link above is wrong but this should be right:
http://milliseconds.com/participants/detail/806461905

I was completely unprepared for the swim. I actually kept getting turned around when switching from one stroke to the other in the final 400 meters. I had to have one of the volunteers in the kayak kept telling me i was going in the wrong direction. 4-5 times in that last stretch was going in the wrong direction.

The bike and run section were so-so for me. I could have done better had I started earlier with my training.

My transition times were ok for how I felt. :)

Overall, this is the first of many triathlons that I'll be doing. The great thing about my times is that there is room for improvements everywhere. :p

I'm 35 years old, since three years I've been abandoning sport (after a stupid shoulder injury...) to the point I've no longer physical activities, I believe I could finish it, but in complete exhaustion :)
As for the chrono, terrible, I expect to be acceptable on the bike, I'm scared that running through the 5miles would take me around one hour and a half and the most difficult thing for me could prove swimming :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 35 years old, since three years I've been abandoning sport (after a stupid shoulder injury...) to the point I've no longer physical activities, I believe I could finish it, but in complete exhaustion :)
As for the chrono, terrible, I expect to be acceptable on the bike, I'm scared that running through the 5miles would take me around one hour and a half and the most difficult thing for me could prove swimming :(
Have you looked at physical therapy? Its done wonders to my knee problems. I could hardly walk up stairs without pain, now i can do four stories without much discomfort. I will still likely need surgery to correct some of the pain i get from time to time. But the therapy did work for me.

Don't give up on physical activities, change to something less stressful to your shoulder. The hardest part for me was getting off the couch. So don't get on it. :)

Have you looked at physical therapy? Its done wonders to my knee problems. I could hardly walk up stairs without pain, now i can do four stories without much discomfort. I will still likely need surgery to correct some of the pain i get from time to time. But the therapy did work for me.

Don't give up on physical activities, change to something less stressful to your shoulder. The hardest part for me was getting off the couch. So don't get on it. :)
Thanks for the advice, but too bad I've been really dumb, I hurt my self doing an "armlock" while drunk... While I was suspended my arm opened... and I believe that teared some muscles. as the day after that on top of a bad hangover it took me ages to get out of my bed (a mezzanine...) :LOL:
I though that there wasn't much to do about those kind of injury aside some months of rest... I quickly (really a couple of days) lose triceps, "bigg dorsal muscles", after some months I tried to climb again, but there was a residual pain,and muscles had trouble to regrow consistently... after more than a year it was better but still my right arm was barely able to outdo my left one... which is bad (at least for me...) and still the residual pain...
After two years I went to the doctor.. who told that it was a bit let, and so that a proper diagnostic would be tough. I did an ecography and it looked OK. It's three years now and I've still to see the doctor again. The residual pain is almost a thing of the past (but I don't do a thing that put anywhere near as much strain on my shoulder as climbing did) I believe I'll do an MRI while in France to check if there's nothing really wrong about it. If it's OK, I think I'll try to resume activities slowly when I'll reach US :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't done a tri (or marathon) for years, but 10 minutes between swim and bike? Come on epic!
(yes, I had to view that one)

I haven't done them so I cannot say much, but I have supported some family doing them, but they did half ironman not sprints.

Sprint distance
0.47 mi swim
12.4 mi bike
3.1  mi run

I could just go do that with no training, but I would be slow. The swimming generally seems to be the hard part for most people. When I was there I saw some awesome people riding huffy mountain bikes and stuff in the bike portion. They were slow granted, but it was still pretty cool compared to all the fancy tri specific bikes.

Back