Triathlon - How will I do?

What will be the overall Joe's overall triathlon pace (minutes per mile)?

• Total voters
Gods I'd love a pool, I can swim for bloody ever. I keep forgetting it's good exercise too.

I couldn't join a pool, too self-conscious...must look into getting one. ;)

I think you should join a really popular pool and get in shape by swimming miles in pink speedos. Send photos and I'll make you a web site too.

Oh gods, that mental image hurtz my brain! :???:

Nah, I was thinking of taking up another old exercise routine I used to do a lot of. Actually used to do it for a living and it paid the bills well believe it or not.

/me goes and picks up his shovel

Oh gods, that mental image hurtz my brain! :???:

Nah, I was thinking of taking up another old exercise routine I used to do a lot of. Actually used to do it for a living and it paid the bills well believe it or not.

/me goes and picks up his shovel

I don't know if you're talking about digging or not (shovel) but my daughter and I moved 3 cubic yards of topsoil from the driveway to the garden two weeks ago and man what a workout that was!

I am talking about digging, and I do know what a work out it is. I really used to dig trenches for a living. :)

I actually had to dig two rather deep holes in my backyard before to bury a few lost friends and I don't think I'd actually ever try and do it by hand here, it's clay after the first 11". :???:

You're lucky to have 11" of topsoil. We hit clay after 5-6" and it's that gooey stuff that doesn't ever come off your shoes. All you need is a good spade shovel, tons of compost and a pick axe :) and in 3-5 years that clay will be less clay-like!

So Im around 2 months into training for a (sprint) tri. I went to the doctors the other day for my cholesterol check up. Seems like I went from the danger zone to half way back to normal. My good chol number also went up, not high enough but getting there. I also returned my liver enzine number back to normal. My old cholesterol medicine was fucking my liver up.

Anyways, I really encourage you all to get into shape. Even some exercise can drastically improve your health and lead to a happier life.

Just bought this bike:
varese.jpg

1600 dollar bike on clearance for 550. :) Now I just need it to be shipped to me and get it put together and tuned. Cant wait to add biking to my running routine.

I saw people riding huffy's in the last half ironman I went to. I had to give them respect. And I mean huffy mountain bikes.

Got my bike finally to a bike shop. It looks like 300 dollars to get it properly fitted/assembled/tuned. Sigh. This sport isnt cheap and that wasnt even the cost of the bike. lol.

Got my bike finally to a bike shop. It looks like 300 dollars to get it properly fitted/assembled/tuned. Sigh. This sport isnt cheap and that wasnt even the cost of the bike. lol.

You honestly need to learn to do this stuff yourself. Bike repair is easy and unless you have loads of money to throw around it is just a waste. I have found that most bike shops know less about repairing bikes then I do. I just use them once in a blue moon if I want something done and don't have a specialty tool.

And all that stuff you mentioned is extremely easy to do. It is far more difficult to repair old bikes when you do not know what is wrong, when they are new it is simple.

Here is a good website for fittment issues.

http://www.wrenchscience.com/ You enter you body measurements and it can tell you what size you need for all the parts basically.

https://www.wrenchscience.com/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/Secure/Fit/Height.aspx?stylecode=R&stylecode=R
More direct link.

cycling can be quite pricey - add clothing, tools, tires, tubes, bottles, computer, lights (for night), good helmet, cool glasses, clipless pedals and shoes...ouch!

The biggest part of that 300 dollar bill was the fitting. I wasnt comfortable setting up a tri bike, but I didnt realize it was going to run that high. Anyways, a lesson learned. Avoid local bike shops at all costs. Buy online when possible.

The biggest part of that 300 dollar bill was the fitting. I wasnt comfortable setting up a tri bike, but I didnt realize it was going to run that high. Anyways, a lesson learned. Avoid local bike shops at all costs. Buy online when possible.

It is sad but true.

LBS (local bike shops) are usually terrible now. I wish it were not the case, but like I said more often then not they haven't a clue. Usually there is one good mechanic, but whether s/he will be working on your bike is questionable.

And yes cycling is pricey, but oh it is fun. Mountain biking at least ;). Cambria and Jenson usually have something cheap and if you wait around you can usually get something put together for a reasonable price.

Holy thread resurrection!!!!!

You know, Im actually thinking of doing it. Im actually enjoying running, which was my weakness in that set. Anyways, im a long way from getting into shape will know better by summer.

Hope I'm not jinxing this, but 3 years later from when I "started" to get off the couch, back on the couch, off the couch..... I think I'm finally ready for my first triathlon. It's on the 21st, so less than 10 days to go. :)

So, did anyone else go through with one of these? Lol, there is a distinct possibility of drowning. The most non-stop swimming I've done is 400 meters today. :) The race is nearly 800 meters of swimming in a river (400 with the current, then 400 against).

Anyways, time to get this one finished.

Back