More info about RSX from NVIDIA

but i like 720p to make honour to my next lcd tv set :)

720P and moderate AA , good compromise for next gen quality vs performance rate

if the fixed resolution is 1080p it would take 2 times more time to make a game. honestly you dont need 1080p to play games, 1080p only is for the HDTV content, 1080p is very expensive to implement

hasanahmad said:
if the fixed resolution is 1080p it would take 2 times more time to make a game. honestly you dont need 1080p to play games, 1080p only is for the HDTV content, 1080p is very expensive to implement

huh? 2x more time to make a game?

hasanahmad said:

And double the electricity to power the PS3!!!11one :LOL:

karlotta said:
fxtech said:
i have read on the special of tomshardware some about neat trick for the normal mapping , this may be a good point for nvidia

http://www.tomshardware.com/column/200506221/index.html
??? What?

here , it seams free and hw accelerated

" The other nifty stuff that the 7800 brings include the ability to do clever texture mapping tricks like lighting and pseudo normal calculation with just two 2D maps, known as relief mapping. This gives you really bumpy surfaces for walls and cobblestoned streets, with shadows that follow lights like they should - but at a much lower computational load than if you did real ray tracing (which we will be doing one day not too long from now.) "

Relief mapping traces rays too, AFAIK ;)
Anyway..this is nothing you can't do on any modern GPU out there

Not that it's a big deal, but with identical instruction set, stacked ALU's don't you automatically waste at least 2 instructions on every shader whose total instruction length is an odd number. (ie. the remainder of total instruction length / 4 ) Now that is splitting hairs!

It's a bit more complex than that. There are going to be other limitations that come into play to constrain how many operations can be executed each clock cycle.

Anyway, the real important thing to remember is that it takes fewer transistors to add another ALU within a pipeline than to add another pipeline (basically, less state needs to be saved with fewer pixels in-flight). So there's obviously some optimal balance between the number of pipelines and the processing power of each, since adding more processing power to a single pipeline is less efficient performance-wise than adding another more pipelines (for the same peak processing power).

Agreed, and I understand the architectural design descision. Not saying that it was bad. Just a difference relative to the wider shader array design of Xenos.

Sony has said all games will support 1080p as standard, as indicated:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614661p1.html

Smart move, considering one day eventually we will all have 1080p sets, and nice to know every PS3 game I own, will work at that set's awesome resolution.

RSX looks like it's going to be a monster, as it clearly a significantly more efficient chip, than the Geforce 6 series!

Edge said:

Smart move, considering one day eventually we will all have 1080p sets, and nice to know every PS3 game I own, will work at that set's awesome resolution.

RSX looks like it's going to be a monster!

I'm not going to lie Edge, but thats the first time in life that I have been convinced that Sony will require 1080p. Now for me the question is how will games made in 1080p look on a HDTV that only supports 1080i and 720p?

mckmas8808 said:
Edge said:

RSX looks like it's going to be a monster!

I'm not going to lie Edge, but thats the first time in life that I have been convinced that Sony will require 1080p. Now for me the question is how will games made in 1080p look on a HDTV that only supports 1080i and 720p?

1080p on a 720p TV would look like 720p would look, just with "free" 2X vertical AA. If AA isn't there already.
Like Dreamcast or any other console ever since render at 480p internally and get "free vertical AA" when outputting to 480i. Sort of.

Edge said:

RSX looks like it's going to be a monster, as it clearly a significantly more efficient chip, than the Geforce 6 series!

Is it bad that all games will support 1080p? I don't understand what the issue is. You would think that if you can't do 1080p that it would just revert to 1080i..if thats the case there shouldn't be a tremendous drop on visual (meaning just because its 1080p and your only have a tv thats capable of 1080i that the game will look horrible because it has to be displayed as Interlaced instead of Progressive..) just because its not 1080p....

But designing a GPU for "peak" is clearly not working.

In all these reviews, the best case we're seeing is a 50% speed-up over 6800 Ultra in shader-limited cases. That 50% speed-up can be entirely explained by increased pipelines and clock.

This implies to me that the increased capability of each pixel pipeline in 7800GTX is completely wasted in real games.

The only place we see the increased capability having any effect is in stupid pixel shader synthetic tests. I bet they're not even as fun to watch as 3DMk... (dunno, never seen em)

Jawed

Edge said:
By the time I and most other Europeans get 1080p HDTV, PS3 will probably be dead and buried and we'll be wondering what PS5 games will look like.

Back