Top 10 Favorite Games of this Generation

mmmm...

best survival horror: RE4, GC - can easily be the best game for me this gen
best fighter: Soul Calibur, DC - the game that set the bar for fighters this gen, and the game that brought me to consoles
best tracks racer: LeMans24, DC
best shooter: Ikaruga, DC/GC - a jewel among the 2d shooters on all platforms
best FPS adventure: Metroid Prime, GC - the FPS that redefined FPSs

so much from me : )

I love these lists 8) They're great for getting recommendations of what games are good to pick up.

Mine (in no particular order):

* Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA counts, right?)
* Panzer Dragoon Orta (stylish)
* Skies of Arcadia (because I love my DC and enjoyed it to bits)
* Halo (trying to get into the sequel but I just can't do it... think I need more patience. This game was polished to the wazoo, and had many jaw-dropping moments... the big open-plane battles where you had so many choices of where to run, who to defend or attach)
* PGR3 (online done right, and not just racing other people.. plus it puts the fun in... "fun racing"... hrmm)
* KOTOR (so many all-nighters on this one)
* Jet Set Radio Future (again, just super-stylish)
* PoP: Sands of Time (polished, well-done, story-driven adventuring)
* Soul Calibur (DC version rocked... sequel was good, but didn't do a hell of a lot to top the perfect DC experience)

#1 I'd have to say is:
* Ninja Gaiden
I have never enjoyed a game this much before. While at first I thought the difficulty was stupidly hard, it's a game where you learn a strategic approach, or die. I love when using my brain is rewarded! For those that disagree, start the game from scratch.. all those guys you thought were hard are now kids play, and you laugh them off. Not to mention the game looks out of this world. If next-gen launch games look like NG I'll be satisfied.

Keep em coming.

I can't really pick ten games, because i wasn't impressed by this generation, most of the games were eye candy.

5. GTA series
4. Resident Evil 4
3. Resident evil remake
2. Kotor
1. Halo series

Holy shit I forgot Ninja gaiden.

Without reading what others have posted, my personal top 10 are:

1.) Metal Gear Solid 2, for making this generation the biggest and most anticipated game I ever wanted.

2.) Z.O.E.2, for the most exhilirating game experiencing and impressive particle effects/action in any game I've encountered.

3.) Jak & Daxter, for being the most enjoyable platformer I've played this generation.

4.) Final Fantasy X, for being the game I've spent the most time on and sucking me into its unique world of hated and lovable characters...

5.) Final Fantasy X-2... for continueing the story of characters I've enjoyed throughout the first part.

6.) Gran Turismo 4, for the astonishing attention to detail and life-like representation and feel of those hundreds of cars I thought experienced while playing the game.

7.) WipEout Fusion, for being a worthy successor to my favorite racing franchise on the PSone.

8.) Jak 2, for the challenging gameplay and the technological leap over its predecor (though I must say I disliked the setting)

9.) Jak 3, for evolving on that concept and making it better... though still not as good as part 1 IMO. :p

10.) Last but not least, Metal Gear Solid 3, for being quite frankly, the, probably, the best, most enjoyable, and overwhelming gameplay experience I've encountered so far.

This is a bit more than 10, but these are games I love from this gen. There's more that I really like, maybe that will go in another list. :oops:

Zelda WW
Sonic Adventure
Shenmue 1
Soul Calibur series
Gran Turismo 4
Forza
Rallisport Challenge series
Halo series
Burnout 2 & 3
Ninja Gaiden
Animal Crossing
Mario Kart DD
GTA San Andreas
Viewtiful Joe series
Fable

7.) WipEout Fusion, for being a worthy successor to my favorite racing franchise on the PSone.

Thats one game I certainly enjoyed(and should have listed). I fan of the WipEout series. The only ones I dont have is WipEout Pure and the one that was released for the N64.

Among games I played:

PS2:

MGS2/3
Silent Hill 2/3
Fatal Frame 2
Bunout 3
NFS:HP2
Ace Combat 4/5
Tekken 5
Soul Calibur 2
Jak III
R&C I/III
Sly 2
KillZone
GT3/4
ZOE2
ICO
GOW
DMC1/3
Twisted Metal Black

DC:

RE:CV
SoA
Soul Calibur
Shenmue
TD:LM
Headhunter
DoA2
UT/Q3
Project Justice
Crazy Taxi 1/2

Halo (xbox)
- it feels just right

Grandia (dc)
- ah the memories

Jet Set Radio (dc)
- love the art style very original

Dynasty Warrior (ps2)
- though the xbox version is better...but I originally played this on the ps2

Forza (xbox)
- better than GT4

Daytona (dc)
- just plain fun

Virtua Tennis (dc)
- one of a few sport games I actually like

Soul Calibur (dc)
- just freaking amazing

Baldur's Gate : DA 2 (xbox)
- I know there's better RPG, but somehow I'm hooked on this.

Unreal Championship 2 (xbox)
- any doubts?

london-boy said:
I don't think my gaming experience this generation is vast enough to have a Top 10, but my top experiences, in no particular order, since 1999 have been:

Ico
Kingdom Hearts
Stretch Panic (i dont think anyone played this game apart from me and 3 guys in japan)
Guilty Gear X2 (or whatever it was)
Burnout2

What! Where is ZOE2 in your list?? :oops:

This generation is not over yet...
For preference reasons you won't find FPS, racing and few action games in my list...

Gitaroo Man, Pop'n Music 10 - Great music-playing.

FFX - enjoyed it for various reasons.

Shadow Hearts 2 - Surprisingly excellent and 'un-cliche'. Pity that SH3 will get a sissy kid as protagonist.

Silent Hill 2 - Before the series became a fighting game...

DQ8 - Only complaint is that working adults need cheat codes to accelerate character growth to save time. Other than this one problem, this game is compulsory education for all RPG players.

Summon Night 3 - Great voices, characters, story, 2D art, branching scenarios and multiple endings. Most adorable monsters evar.

2nd Super Robot Wars Alpha - The new squad system lifts this SRPG to a deserved platinum status.

ICO - for the many things it does right.

And new candidates in the near future that will likely be added:
FF12
Wanda
Pop'n Music 11
3rd Super Robot Wars Alpha
Okami

As I said this gen isn't over yet for me...

Deepak said:
london-boy said:
I don't think my gaming experience this generation is vast enough to have a Top 10, but my top experiences, in no particular order, since 1999 have been:

Ico
Kingdom Hearts
Stretch Panic (i dont think anyone played this game apart from me and 3 guys in japan)
Guilty Gear X2 (or whatever it was)
Burnout2

What! Where is ZOE2 in your list?? :oops:

Oooops forgot!! and i also forgot Jak2!

Not in order, only PS2 games as I don't own another console and haven't really played any xbox or GC games long enough beyond first impressions.

Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3
Burnout 2 & 3
Jak & Daxter (2 was ok, not top10 material though, 3 sucked)
Ratched & Clank 1 and 2 (haven't played 3)
ICO
REZ
Gran Turismo 3 & 4
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City & San Andreas
Silent Hill 2 & 3
Tekken TAG

Oh, and Lumines on the PSP

1. Eternal Darkness.

After that the rest are in random order:
-Kotor
-Resident Evil 4
-Halo until the Library(?)-level
-Soul Calibur 2
-Dead or Alive
-NHL Hitz 2003

It's hard to remember the games we liked, and it's harder to rank them in a particular order. Here's my list in no particular order and that contains more than 10 titles (Ruck Fules):
  • Eternal Arcadia
  • Dark Cloud 2
  • Ape Escape 2
  • Pikmin 2
  • MGS3
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • Ridge Racer 5
  • F-Zero GX
  • ZOE 2
  • Sonic Adventure (I must be one of the very few human being who thought this game rocked)
  • Onimusha 2&3
  • DMC1&3
  • Star Ocean 3
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • Rallisport Challenge 2
  • R&C 1/2/3
  • Culdcept
  • God of War
  • RE4
  • PDO
  • And so on...

Based on how much I enjoyed them at the time they came out. No order.

All DC/XB, sorry! :)

Soul Calibur (DC)
NFL 2K (DC) <-- the original
Crazy Taxi (DC)
Halo (XB)
Splinter Cell (XB)
DOA3 (XB)
Ninja Gaiden (XB) <-- overly tough, but still amazing

Honorable mentions due to good console online play:
MechAssault (XB)
Rainbow 6: 3 (XB)

Hmm havent played tons of games but some that pop of my head..

PS2-
-ACE-COMBAT 4/5
-MGS2/3
-Sky Odysee
-FFX
-SilentHill 2/3
-StarFighter/Jedi Starfighter

XBOX-
-HALO 1/2
-Crimson Skies
-KOTOR (Only the first)

GC-