Kojima: Xbox may have the most dev support next-gen

Acert93

Artist formerly known as Acert93
Legend
This is the most interesting thing I have heard in a long time on the software front. While one developers opinion is just that, one opinion, I found this quote interesting from Kojima:

IGN reports that his latest Famitsu interview sees him commenting on PS3's high level visuals again, before reiterating that Xbox 360 may enjoy more developer support this generation.

I am not sure we could accuse Kojima of Xbox 360 favortism (unlike some other Japanese devs) as he is quoted in the earlier in the article as saying MGS will remain a PS3 exclusive, at least for the time being, party due to loyalty to Sony.

MS clearly has been accepted within the console industry and has a lot of support (especially compared to the Xbox launch). But for MS to have more support is shocking to me. Sony triumped over Nintendo (and Sega) largely upon the support of developers. Obviously Sony will continue to have a lot of support, but for MS to possibly surpass Sony is surprising.

I am shocked (and tired) so I will let others comment on this. Definately some food for thought.

I think the statement is ambiguous. "Xbox 360 may enjoy more developer support this generation" ... more than what? More than PS3? Or more than XB did? It's not clarified in the GI article.

Acert93 said:
IGN reports that his latest Famitsu interview sees him commenting on PS3's high level visuals again, before reiterating that Xbox 360 may enjoy more developer support this generation.

That could be interpreted as "X360 may enjoy more dev support this generation, than the last one" as much as "it may enjoy more dev support than PS3".

Well , rhey are popular, they try to please the dev, and their Live strategy can offer a lot of low cost proffit for both parts.

So I think they can really have a lot of dev suport.

That's probably the same interview where he compred new consones to meals.

I'm pretty sure I've seen his actual quote, and if this is the same thing, he's talking about PS3 and Xbox 360 in two separate sentences or paragraphs. The comment is related to Xbox 360 having more (Japanese dev) support than first Xbox had.

He's assuming the PS3 is that much more powerful than xbox360, of which E3 Killzone level visual are expected. If that is indeed the case, then developing a game with that much more higher level visuals for PS3 will require that much more from the smaller developers. In which case they might rather make games for xbox360 which should need less staff for content creation.

If he was talking about support compared to last gen, why would he say "may"?

Its already a fact that X360 has much more support than the original as far as develoipers that are on board. So, I don't see that statement making sense.

if you look at the context, it obviously a comparison to PS3
"sees him commenting on PS3's high level visuals again, before reiterating that Xbox 360 may enjoy more developer support this generation."

It's probably in reference to the X360 being easier to program for, and possibly dominating the US market, which could cause a shift in overall Dev support. The US market is the biggest cash cow, so that's the region where most dev's will care about most.

Looking at it logicly they may be right .

Nintendo will see the least amount of 3rd parrty support .

Ms will have the middle ground in terms of specs . IF you design it for the x360 surely the slightly more powerfull ps3 can run the game with simple modifications and the ns5 should run it at lower res (After all it wont support hd )

So from that stand point we may very well see the x360 have more dev support . Esp if coupled with the fact that the x360 will be out in most markets for 6 months or in others as much as a year 1 longer than the ps3 to build up the installed base and with the current rumors of ms slashing its royalitys and sony pricing thire console much higher

london-boy said:
Acert93 said:

That could be interpreted as "X360 may enjoy more dev support this generation, than the last one" as much as "it may enjoy more dev support than PS3".

I agree, the original Japanese quote can always be misunderstood.

First off, more does not mean most. That is a mistake in interpreting the quote.

I do agree that it does not necessarily mean X360 will have more dev support than PS3 this generation. It most likely means it will have more support than last generation. Or it could be compared to PS3 in the terms of MS is going to have more support this generation in a percentage wise compared to Sony. So in essence isntead of having 50% of the support compared to PS2's 90% support it could be MS having 65% and Sony having 85%.

You see, the quote can be interpreted in many different ways. It's rather hard to tell.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/625/625701p1.html?fromint=1

The PS3, in Kojima's mind, seems to be aiming for a high visual level. He also praises the Xbox 360, stating that he believes many developers will develop for it.

also

MGS4 doesn't seem to be limited exclusively to the PS3, though. While Kojima states that the game is, at this point, only set for the PS3, he wouldn't mind porting it to other hardware. However, this would require a large staff and lots of development funds. He also adds that if he were making a game for the Revolution or Xbox 360, he'd want to make something completely different from the Metal Gear Solid series -- an original title that fits in with the market for those systems.

He's assuming the PS3 is that much more powerful than xbox360, of which E3 Killzone level visual are expected. If that is indeed the case, then developing a game with that much more higher level visuals for PS3 will require that much more from the smaller developers. In which case they might rather make games for xbox360 which should need less staff for content creation.
Yeah, his comments are actualy targeted to the higher level of expectations set by the Sony's trailer, more than anything. Thus his comparisions with food. He expects that everyone will now have to make the games of that caliber that look like trailers, while on Xbox 360 he's not seeing the bar to be set that high.

Keep in mind though, for PS2, Kojima has said early on, that he thinks only 5 dev teams in the world will be able to develop for it. He's saying things like that basically to pimp his own team.

I do believe he's referring to the 360 in general compared to the Xbox (probably leaning towards what he sees from Japananese developers as well, which it's already undoubtedly more), but he could also be referring to his own and/or Konami's support as well, including those titles previously just hitting the Playstation. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a ZoE aimed at two different platforms, trying to take advantage of what each of them does best to the extent ZoE2 does. ;) MGS will likely just be shopped around in general, though undoubtedly starting on "home turf" first.

Certainly with just more support expected in general, Konami would be apt to send other common and appealing titles (Castlevania, Contra, more Bemani games, etc.) as well.

Out of curiosity, though, has Kojima made any real commentary about the Revolution other than referring to a potential MGS title?

jvd said:
Looking at it logicly they may be right .

Nintendo will see the least amount of 3rd parrty support .

Ms will have the middle ground in terms of specs . IF you design it for the x360 surely the slightly more powerfull ps3 can run the game with simple modifications and the ns5 should run it at lower res (After all it wont support hd )

So from that stand point we may very well see the x360 have more dev support . Esp if coupled with the fact that the x360 will be out in most markets for 6 months or in others as much as a year 1 longer than the ps3 to build up the installed base and with the current rumors of ms slashing its royalitys and sony pricing thire console much higher

What if the X360 is just as powerful or more powerful? I mean I have seen nothing to suggest that Xbox 360 is going to be some kinda underdog int he graphics department.

Back