Is there a reason why some of you prefer ATI and some Nvidia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redeemer

Newcomer
I just want to understand what causes these flame wars. I myself have owned both. Who has the better architecture?

I prefer ATI over Nvidia because of Image Quality.

Re: Is there a reason why some of you prefer ATI and some Nv

Redeemer said:
Who has the better architecture?

From an architecture standpoint, PowerVR has the better architecture... 8)

Re: Is there a reason why some of you prefer ATI and some Nv

Redeemer said:
I just want to understand what causes these flame wars. I myself have owned both. Who has the better architecture?
You do realize "who has the better architecture" has got nothing to do with "flame wars", don't you?

This thread doesn't belong in 3DHW&T forum.

It may have nothing to do with flame wars, but people will make it.

IMO: They are both good architectures and have different strengths. They both special (or neither are special). In the current generation, I like the 68XX series over teh X8XX series. I like technology, and the 6800 has "newer" technology.

I prefer ATi's control panel layout.

The thing I hate most about nVidia's is the display for changing advanced stuff. I can only see two things at a time, and then the way it handles global versus application specific settings is just a messed up for me. I have to click things in a certain way to get to global settings or back to the application settings and... ugh... I hate the way it is done overall. Seeing only two settings at a time pisses me off the most. I'm at a resolution far greater than 640x480 and they limit what I can see. :rolleyes:

If the price/performance ratio is good enough, they all taste the same. Unless you're a weirdo and have flashing neon lights in a case window or your windows desktop with each company's logo, differences are quite hard to notice for the average user these days.

I have a different take on this.

I prefer ATI because ATI has ex-ArtX and ex-Real3D people working for them, as well as ex-SGI people. ex-ArtX people were ex-SGI people anyway.

the only thing Nvidia really has going for it, are the ex-SGI people working for them. which includes most of the ex-3Dfx people because ex-3Dfx people were ex-SGI people also.

it seems ATI has a better mix of ex-EXELLENT GRAPHICS COMPANY people working for them than Nvidia does. IMO anyway.

in truth, the reason why Nvidia and ATI are EXELLENT at 3D graphics, is mainly because of the engineers and technology that they've acquired from SGI and Lockheed Martin Real3D (maybe Evans & Sutherland too)

the 3Dfx takeover by Nvidia and the ArtX takeover by ATI are both, at heart, takeovers of pieces of SGI.

I don't have a preference either way when it comes to spending my money (because that would just be plain stupid). But when it comes to forum debate I tend to push back against ATi fanboi propoganda because of my early experiences on this board. Kinda like rooting for the underdog, which Nvidia most certainly is at B3D.

I started with ati for my first kickass video card, the 8500, I didn't have all the driver problems people with it reported, so I have a different perspective, but I like their control panal, and at the time, compared to nvidia, the performance of anistopic filtering, even if it was lower quality, it still made textures nice and sharp.
With my 6600GT, I find the control panal is retarded, and in the type of games I play alot (racing games) compared to R300+ and up boards, ati's fsaa actually makes a pretty big difference at 4x.
I'm def. going back to ati next gen unless ati pulls a nv30, which is unlikely I think.

Maybe people like one or the other because on the main it is a two horse race and when only having two options people find it easy to fall into one camp or the other. Same happens with another great two horse race, AMD v Intel for cpu's. Even used to be Asetek or nventive for phase cooling as well !

Compare that to hard drives where you have 4 or 5 main contenders, people do not have a great desire to pick one or the other because there are more than two camps, so people tend to just buy what they find relieable or faster at that moment in time.

So, in summary, that is why Ati are much much better than nvidia. Or not.

I've always owned Nvidia cards .. but when the Nv3x debacle happened and Nvidia lied about it to cover their bases, I decided to go with ATI for the last generation.

So now I own a X800 Pro > XT PE and am very happy with it.

My next card will be an ATI as well (R520).

I agree with Unknown Soldier on this one. I mainly used NV cards from TNT 1 up until the NV3x mess. I then went to ATI and havnt seen a viable reason to go back to NV yet (whether price or performance reasons). Not saying it wont ever happen but as long as ATI and NV stay this close I will probably go with ATI. Why change something that seems to be working and IMO still looks just as good if not better IQ wise.

I really don't care if it's ATI or nVidia working in my machine as long as it works well and I don't have to miss any visual bells and whistles. That with an acceptable speed.

Of course, the company which gives me their products for free is bound to receive my eternal loving, except if they do it both. Than I'd love them both equally ;)

But as it is, I couldn't care less. It's just companies and products, just like in any industry. Too expensive pieces of silicon, a little luxury used just for occasional fun...

EDIT:
Oh yeah: this thread should die a fast, painful death.

Both companies are evil corperations trying to destroy our weed and LSD so both should be hated!! That and there are fanboi's who have some warped view of the universe that believe their company can do no wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back