IBM's project codename for Cell

Fafalada said:
bbot said:
Was IBM trying to point out that cell has a serious weak point?
Yes yes that is precisely it, they are pointing out that Cell will be a huge financial success for about thousand years to come, after which its weakness will eventually be found out.
8)

and then we'll all be using hobbits for microprocessors

Shifty Geezer said:
Are RSX and Xenos the codenames of the chips? eg. Smaug WAS Smaug, but is now Cell - PS3 has Cell and RSX. Smaug and Waternoose arten't official designations, unlike Xenos, Broadway, RSX and Hollywood.

RSX / Reality Synthesizer and Xenos are the official names for the graphics processors for PS3 and Xbox360, respectively.

Smaug and Waternoose are IBM's internal codenames for the Cell-CPU for PS3, and triple-core PowerPC CPU for Xbox 360, respectively.

Broadway and Hollywood are Nintendo's codenames for the CPU and GPU for Revolution. I don't know if ATI calls the GPU, Hollywood, also, but probably they do, because Nintendo, ArtX and then ATI all used the Flipper name for Gamecube's GPU.

as for Broadway, as I said, it is Nintendo's name for the CPU, and may or may not be IBM's internal name for it.

I'm sorry, but I can't let such BLATANT misinformation go unchallenged!

Fafalada said:
"He was ended with a single arrow."
... but only after he lived for a couple thousand years and amassed a huge wealth... :p
...you see, Smaug settled into Erebor in the year 2770 of the Third Age and was killed in 2941. So "centuries" would be all right, but "couple thousand years"...?! I challenge your sources, sir! Plus, he didn't "amass" anything! Smaug just heard of the wealth the dwarves had amassed and stole it! Perhaps he had amassed some wealth beforehand, but I don't think he brought any of it with him to Erebor, so the point is moot.

Next time, think before you speak!

:p ;)

Fafalada said:
bbot said:
Yes yes that is precisely it, they are pointing out that Cell will be a huge financial success for about thousand years to come, after which its weakness will eventually be found out.
8)

But this is the computer world. Thousands of years are really like 2 months in computer terms ;)

jvd said:
Fafalada said:
bbot said:
8)

But this is the computer world. Thousands of years are really like 2 months in computer terms ;)

I did not realise the computer world and Middle Earth revolved around the sun at such different orbits ;).

I did not realise the computer world and Middle Earth revolved around the sun at such different orbits
but middle earth doesn't revolve around the sun . Its not the earth :)

Middle Earth is this Earth, as Tolkien was setting out to create a mythology for Britain, so it represents the Earth as explained through the eyes of our ancestors, as made up by Tolkien.

Shifty Geezer said:
Middle Earth is this Earth, as Tolkien was setting out to create a mythology for Britain, so it represents the Earth as explained through the eyes of our ancestors, as made up by Tolkien.

Well we all know Britain is its own planet.

Back