What's your GOTY(or games)?

Obviously we have several partisans on the boards so perhaps per platform suggestions along with overall?

For PC I'd say Mafia hands down.

Cube I was firmly behind ED until this morning, Metroid is looking like a strong contender although I need more hands on time.

Oddly, I haven't purchased a single XBox title that actually came out this year that was that good, although based on what I have played I'd say SGT2K2(waiting til one of the bundle buyers will sell me it and JSRF cheap).

Hmmm...

For PS2, I'd like to say Final Fantasy X, but it's too bad it won't be /wasn't included in either GOTY catagories since it came out at a wierd time. Otherwise... I don't know, Virtua Fight 4 is very strong since it extended the life of a fighting game by an order of magnitude with the Kumite system. Rez, again, is brilliant, but is too short. NFS:HP2 was great too, but I only rented it. So I guess I'd have to go with Virtua Fighter 4. You all know my feelings on GTA :D

For Xbox, this is tough. It had alot of 'great' games, but none-if-any that fell into the 'brilliance' catagory. UC's a port, so thats out. MechAssault is broken/unfinished, so its out too. I was pretty unimpressed with the Splinter Cell demo, but I think the media will rally behind it for the Xbox's GOTY candidate. So yeah, it's really hard to say. This year, the only Xbox games that really really really impressed me were UC/MA/Rallisport Challenge/The Thing. In that case, I guess I'll say MotoGP Online :) (which is very good, and incredibly underated)

For GC? Shrug, I have a feeling the Metroid Juggernaught is unstoppable. :-?

PC? Does the Doom 3 Alpha count? :LOL:

XBox- Splinter Cell- Mech assault runner up
Cube- Metroid Prime- Eternal Darkness ru
PS2- GTA:VC- Contra SS runner up
PC- Mafia- Warcraft 3 runner up

I agree with the PC choice, Mafia is an excellent title that stood out, even though it had a few flaws. AoM, WC3, Morrowind, NwN or NOLF2 while all being good to great games, each have their own sets of flaws or are too much of a sequel to get a nomination as a true GotY IMHO.

Dreamcast has been lacking any real attention to its software releases, but it still deserves mentioning I guess. I vote for Ikaruga (gotta admit I admire Treasure for how innovative they still manage to get with such an old and tried genre).

Dunno about GC, I'll abstain as I have too rarely had the opportunity to play on it, but Metroid sure looks like the winner as the game that got me most interested in the platform.

GBA - not a clue and couldn't care less.

PS2 has a number of great titles, I guess GTA:VC would win the popularity vote, not mine though. Due to a lack of first hand experience I'll abstain on this one too.

As for Xbox, only own the system for a week or two, so far I'd give the edge to JSRF from what I've played (only 3 games so far, Halo and DoA3 should arrive tomorrow but are yesteryear's games in the US already anyway), although Sega GT is also great once you get into it and stop whining about how much better it could have been visually. I'm also still looking forward to getting Splinter Cell, the only complaint I'm hearing so far from reviewers is its difficulty, the vote is still out until I get to spend time with a couple more games I guess.

BTW, most Sports games don't get to be considered for GotY due to personal preference... ;)

GCN- Metroid Prime Super Mario Sunshine -runner up
PS2- (from what I've played nothing really jumps out at me..maybe FF or Sly Cooper)
XB- Rallisport Challenge Splinter Cell-runnerup (need more time with this one though. Before SC my XB has cob webs on it)

couldn't say. Either Vice City or SMB2. MP is good altho not quite as good as I hoped, but I'm only 2 hours in. Unlike dissapointments of SMS and ED, I've been playing SMB2 almost non stop. Just brilliant multiplayer and even single player game, awesome stuff...Vice City took me a week to get into for some reason. The first few hours, I didn't think much of it but then the game just took off, great, great stuff (hopefully this will happen with MP as well) I have not experienced any bugs with VC like others so, I personally have no gripes with it, except it did lock up once whch is one less time than MP locked up ironically. Bottom line, Vice or SMB2 :)

runner ups, Sly Cooper, Suikoden III, Kingdom Hearts

yeah SMB2 is third on my 2002 list, with SFA 4th. Don't worry though, MP has a TON of Super Monkey Ball type action going on...and even more so. Retro are genious..pure through and through. The morph ball is da bomb!

Xbox: Shenmue II, GUNVALKYRIE runner-up (I have only played 4 Xbox games.. Halo, GV, Shenmue II, JSRF..)

GCN: It's a toss-up between SMS (the defending champ) and Metroid Prime. When I beat MP, it'll likely be the champ!

GBA: Toss-up between Castlevania:HOD and Metroid Fusion.

Dreamcast : Ikaruga (runner up : Sakura Taisen4)

GameCube : Metroid Prime (runner up : Super Mario Sunshine)

PSX2 : Virtua Fighter 4 (runner up : Xenosaga)

X-box : JSRF (runner up : Splinter Cell) (wouldn't chosen Shen Mue2 if it wasn't a port ;) )

GBA : Golden Sun : The Lost Ages (runner up : Super Robot Taisen R)

PC : Unreal Tournament 2003 (although I was sorely disappointed with this one...) (runner up : Warcraft3)

Neo*Geo : The King of Fighters 2002 (runner up : Rage of the Dragon) (there were only two games released this year, duh ;p )

There are still Neo*Geo games coming out? I, uh, didn't know that.

FYI, I think there are new Jaguar games getting released for free from time to time. Sad, really. :) Well, it gives amatuer developers a chance to get ready for professional.. GBA.. coding.. so I guess homemade Jaguar games aren't that bad.

KOF said:
Dreamcast : Ikaruga (runner up : Sakura Taisen4)

GameCube : Metroid Prime (runner up : Super Mario Sunshine)

PSX2 : Virtua Fighter 4 (runner up : Xenosaga)

X-box : JSRF (runner up : Splinter Cell) (wouldn't chosen Shen Mue2 if it wasn't a port ;) )

GBA : Golden Sun : The Lost Ages (runner up : Super Robot Taisen R)

PC : Unreal Tournament 2003 (although I was sorely disappointed with this one...) (runner up : Warcraft3)

Neo*Geo : The King of Fighters 2002 (runner up : Rage of the Dragon) (there were only two games released this year, duh ;p )

I disagree about PC...Warcraft 3 is easily the number 1 PC game.

And about NeoGeo...there was also Metal Slug 4 released this year(the arcade I work at as a tech got it a few months back).

Xbox: Splinter Cell (Mech Assault runner up)
GCN : Metroid Prime (Eternal Darkness runner up)
PS2 : Ratchet & Clank (Sly Cooper runner up, Vice City honorable mention)
AGB : Metroid Fusion (Castlevania: Harmony of Dissidence runner up)
PC : Medal of Honor: AA (Mafia runner up, Battlefield 1942 honorable mention)

Hands down Metroid Prime.

The holiday season is just beginning and all the good games are being released now so I'm going to refrain from console specific GOTY as nothing outside of MP has really grabbed me so far this year. Including GTA:VC.

There's been so many good games this year it's hard to pick just a few.

DC - Ikaruga or Rez.

PS2 - Taiko no Tatsujin, brilliant drumming game from Namco.

Xbox - Halo. But I'm really looking forward to Splinter Cell next week.

GBA - Gradius Advance.

PC - Mutant Storm.

Ps2: Shinobi
Xbox: Jet Set Radio Future
Gamecube: ED but possibly RE0 but most likely Metroid Prime. I have both RE0 and MP but I am not far in either game.
PC: Neverwinter Nights

Overall: hmmm, one of the Cube titles for sure.

zurich said:
No Broadband in your area Ozy? (ie: XBL)

Actually (and this is a little crazy) I do have broadband (Comcast cable, got it only a few months ago) and the cable line for the modem is only a couple of feet from my Xbox. However, instead of getting Xbox Live I got Phantasy Star Online for Gamecube and a BBA/Hunter's License :p

None of the current Live crop interests me enough to make it worth the money. Honestly at this point the online console games that I consider a worthy offering are:

-Phantasy Star Online EpI&II
-Final Fantasy XI
-Unreal Championship
-Resident Evil Online
-Armored Core Online

That's about it. So I'm holding off on Live for right now, even though I can afford it and it's convenient enough for me. Frankly, I have a long backlog of games that I own but haven't beaten yet anyways, some of them quite long like Wild Arms 3, Neverwinter Nights, and Kingdom Hearts. After I catch up, THEN I'll worry about Xbox Live.

Xbox - Spinter Cell, Shenmue II and Jet Set Radio Future

Gamecube - Eternal Darkness and Starfox Adventures (don't have MP yet)

PS2 - The Mark of Kri

Overall - Splinter Cell

Ozymandis said:
zurich said:
No Broadband in your area Ozy? (ie: XBL)

Actually (and this is a little crazy) I do have broadband (Comcast cable, got it only a few months ago) and the cable line for the modem is only a couple of feet from my Xbox. However, instead of getting Xbox Live I got Phantasy Star Online for Gamecube and a BBA/Hunter's License :p

None of the current Live crop interests me enough to make it worth the money. Honestly at this point the online console games that I consider a worthy offering are:

-Phantasy Star Online EpI&II
-Final Fantasy XI
-Unreal Championship
-Resident Evil Online
-Armored Core Online

That's about it. So I'm holding off on Live for right now, even though I can afford it and it's convenient enough for me. Frankly, I have a long backlog of games that I own but haven't beaten yet anyways, some of them quite long like Wild Arms 3, Neverwinter Nights, and Kingdom Hearts. After I catch up, THEN I'll worry about Xbox Live.

People really overlook what a great online lineup PS2 already has(at no cost)

PS2 - ICO, FF-X runner up
GCN - One Piece Treasure battle (I simply like it), SMS
X-BOX - DOA3, no runner up as I simply don't find the others attractive to me
PC - MOHAA, NOLF2 runner up

BTW, for FF-XI, you have to pay monthly subscription fee through credit card, and you must have a Japanese address in order to join the network. And the Japanese PC version was also released recently.

Back