Why cell wasn't chosen for Mac

Magnum PI said:
chlovinka said:
Apple would've been better off if they had just licensed their OS eons ago IMO.

you mean like MS and windows ?
if macos was to support the ibm pc plateform, that would mean they lose a lot of the advantages their closed plateform give them.
in the end macos X could be plagued with the same problems as MS oses.

Yes, a proprietary platform has insulated the Mac OS from many of the problems that's made Windows the #1 target of hackers.

Hence, why I mentioned the bit about the advantages of a closed system. ;)

OTOH, their closed system has also limited their appeal. If Apple had licensed their OS, they may not be the dominant player; but I don't think it's too far of a stretch to say that they would have much more market share than they do now.

The key thing is, they needed to do it around the time that Win3.0 was released. I don't think they could do it now and survive.

chlovinka said:
Yes, a proprietary platform has insulated the Mac OS from many of the problems that's made Windows the #1 target of hackers.

i think a bigger reason for this is because of the tiny user-base

JF_Aidan_Pryde said:
What's with all the panic about the lack of 64-bit and the need for Itanium?

The "panic" is just the Intel marketing machine. "The Future is 64 bit, dual core, Intel Inside! Upgrade now or be left in the dust!!!"

xbdestroya said:
@ Mariuz: It's not that AMD has a fab 'at Chartered,' it's that they have an agreement with Chartered for Chartered to manufacture for AMD some chips. So not saying the infrastructure aspect would or would not have played a role in Apple's decision, but if it did I still see Intel as appearing like the stronger player inthat respect.

There is another point i didn't take it in account :

IBM is AMD's partner (FreeScale too) and that is a good enough reason for apple
to ditch them
Just to see where they are with production take a look at these Presentations
Amd will work with 3 fabs in 2006 : Dresden 30/36 and Chartered
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/InvestorRelations/0,,51_306_10383,00.html

Back