Epic has first Playstation 3 hardware

So its finished? NVIDIA says Killzone PS3 was rendered by RSX - realtime cinematic. :?:

http://playscope.com/viewarticle.php?num_article=9236 - FRENCH

Concerning the demonstrations, which we could see at the time of the conference of SCEA before-E3, NVidia assure us that Killzone one "was indeed made realtime". Approximately, this video showed cinematics using the RSX without the interaction of a play. The snap taken by the public of the conference was then quite real ^ _ ^. Obviously, of cinematics are not plays but if the graphic engine of the play allows

HappyBread said:
So its finished? NVIDIA says Killzone PS3 was rendered by RSX - realtime cinematic. :?:

I don't believe Killzone is realtime. That asides, Sony has been referring to the GPU as "RSX" in relation to the demos, but obviously as far as those demos are concerned, "RSX" is the nvidia hardware in current dev kits (e.g. 2 6800s in SLI or a G70). RSX, the final GPU, is not finished yet.

edit - that article says quite explicitly that NVidia contacted them to clarify that RSX was finished..looking back at Marv Burkett's (NVidia's CFO) comments on this, he says that no RSX silicon exists, which perhaps could mean that while the design is finished, it has yet to go into production. But if NO silicon exists, that also suggests it hasn't taped out, and if it hasn't taped out, then the design technically can't be finished yet. Although I would expect it to tape out very shortly if it hasn't already (at least juding by other console timelines). Perhaps someone here with contacts in NVidia could ask? Dave? (I'm not sure what Dave's official stance is in terms of B3D's interest in console GPUs, but I do know he obviously could get answers out of NVidia ;)). It also seems a little odd that NVidia would go out of their way to correct this site and not the many other larger sites that ran similar reports about RSX being unfinished.

This is the sentance that stood out to me:

Approximately, this video showed cinematics using the RSX without the interaction of a play.

To me, what this means is - "The video showed an approximation of what RSX will be capable of visually."

I really highly doubt it was done with an actual RSX for reasons already stated here.

Ok now I'm confused more than ever. This rollercoaster ride is starting to get me mad. Pre-rendered, rendered to spec, real-time aaarrgh. o_O

The only thing I'm going to think is I'm going to expect KZ to look like that when finished.

Remember though Sony has promised certain things before and later on reduced the specifications for their products. This happened with the PS2 in 2000, this happened with the PSX (PS2 + Tivo) in 2003, and this also happened with the PSP (though they traded off with more RAM).
Yeah, not to beat the dead horse, but both PS2 and PSP specs have in fact been improved from the announcement to the final product, so that kinda goes against your presumption of downgrading.

On the other hand, if you remember, the clock on the Xbox GPU was scaled back from it's original announcement :p

Though I agree GamesMaster's statements are way off, being devil's advocate the PSP isn't running at 300 MHz, but 200. One could say that's a downgrading, though the specs officaily are 1-300 MHz, so there's nothing wrong there either. And the RAM was increased considerably. But some might latch onto this as downgraded.

marconelly! said:
Remember though Sony has promised certain things before and later on reduced the specifications for their products. This happened with the PS2 in 2000, this happened with the PSX (PS2 + Tivo) in 2003, and this also happened with the PSP (though they traded off with more RAM).
Yeah, not to beat the dead horse, but both PS2 and PSP specs have in fact been improved from the announcement to the final product, so that kinda goes against your presumption of downgrading.

On the other hand, if you remember, the clock on the Xbox GPU was scaled back from it's original announcement :p

psp right now is clock locked a 111mhz less than what it says on the box and there is no word on when or if it will ever change .

Also if i recall right the amount of edram on the ps2 was downgraded too and then we got the bump in clock speed

psp right now is clock locked a 111mhz less than what it says on the box and there is no word on when or if it will ever change .

Actually there has been one developer that has stated they will be using the full specs when their next set of games comes out. When they come out I don't know, but I don't think it will be too long from now. And Sony has ALWAYS said that the PSP CPU is 1 - 333 MHz.

PSP CPU (System clock frequency 1 - 333MHz)

Check it out right here. http://www.us.playstation.com/consoles.aspx?id=4

Actually there has been one developer that has stated they will be using the full specs when their next set of games comes out. When they come out I don't know, but I don't think it will be too long from now. And Sony has ALWAYS said that the PSP CPU is 1 - 333 MHz.

I will beleive it when it ships and it makes use of 333mhz .

Btw sony only started saying 1-333mhz right before shipping .

Ty said:
But there was also a huge bump in the ram for the PSP.
I thought they lowered the amount of edram on that too an increased the off die ram. Thus resulting in more ram but slower ram correct ?

jvd said:
Btw sony only started saying 1-333mhz right before shipping .
I definitely remember the 1-333 MHz number from the moment PSP specs were announced. It made me wonder why they'd list 1 MHz as an option!

1-333Mhz was on the slide on that E3 when the PSP was first announced. I'm pretty sure about that.

psp right now is clock locked a 111mhz less than what it says on the box and there is no word on when or if it will ever change.
Ridge Racers developer said that they will be using the full clock speed in their next game, though, as that limitation was imposed in the devkit library and not in the hardware itself.

Also if i recall right the amount of edram on the ps2 was downgraded too
I don't remember of anything like that.

I definitely remember the 1-333 MHz number from the moment PSP specs were announced. It made me wonder why they'd list 1 MHz as an option!

Of course you remember and 95% of everybody else that was paying attention remember too. That was always the case for me anyway.

I will beleive it when it ships and it makes use of 333mhz

Well they have already done half of what you said. The shipping part is already taken care of. Just give us a software upgrade and we're off to new handheld videogame heights. Don't forget only about 66% of the GPU part for the PSP is being used. They have also scaled that back for now. So an increase in CPU and GPU is expected!! :D

Ridge Racers developer said that they will be using the full clock speed in their next game, though.

Thank you Marconelly I was trying to remember the dev who said that. And remember Polyphony has said that GT Mobile will look 100% identical to GT4.

jvd said:
I thought they lowered the amount of edram on that too an increased the off die ram. Thus resulting in more ram but slower ram correct ?

Not that I am aware of but honestly, I don't really pay attention to specs. :) I just remember them increasing the amount of ram by 2-3 times - obviously a very healthy amount.

jvd said:
I don't , i only remember them bringing it up close to launch .

It was announced when they first announced specs, back in July 03:

http://psp.ign.com/articles/496/496983p2.html

PSP CPU CORE
MIPS R4000 32bit Core
128bit Bus
1 - 333MHz @ 1.2V
Main Memory :8MB(eDRAM)
Bus Bandwidth :2.6GB/sec
I-Cache, D-Cache
FPU, VFPU (Vector Unit) @ 2.6GFlops
3D-CG Extended Instructions

The PSP CPU is capable of 333Mhz, it's simply a software lock that's been holding it back in launch games.

Exactly - the lock is in place to increase battery life, something we all know Sony was taking a lot of 'heat' (ha ha!) for pre-launch. Future games should be able to utilize the extra performance of the PSP, though obviously it will be to the detriment of battery life.

Back