Revolution's historical back catalogue NOT free

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said:
"we have no plans to distribute [our back catalogue] without a fee."

He would not be drawn on what pricing schemes the firm has in mind, but he did concede that some games might be used as promotional bonuses - for example, offering a free download of an old game with the purchase of a new game, or running special marketing campaigns which allow games to be downloaded for free for a limited period.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=9389

I wasn't expecting it to be free....but I do hope they allow the whole catalog to be accessible from the start. I hope they don't do a limited edition thing where you have to buy a limited edition game just so you can get a previous Zelda. I would be willing to pay $2-5 per game (only once per game), which would stay on my Revolution and I can play anytime I want...

Considering the proces they charge for retro games on GB, I can't imagine cheap access to Nintendo's back catalogue :(

Shifty Geezer said:
Considering the proces they charge for retro games on GB, I can't imagine cheap access to Nintendo's back catalogue :(

Yeah..that would really suck if they have obscene amounts listed for the more popular games. The weird thing is, when recieving these games..you getting thing in pure data form....no packages...no physical mediums that hold them (CD, Cartridges)....so I don't see how Nintendo could justify a price of anything above $7 per game. If thats the case....then i'm just going to stick to my good old fashioned emulators on my PC....

The status of the download service was clarified in this statement from Perrin Kaplan, which PGC obtained from Nintendo of America today:

"For Revolution and accessing older games, we haven't finalized how we will structure it yet. It is possible that players will enjoy these games without a charge from Nintendo, or there may be some pay structure for accessing the actual product. We haven't finalized it yet. Our goal is to make it as easy and inexpensive as possible, which could be free."

http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=6320

With all the screw balls these companies throw I would not count anything out. I personally doubt they will be free, but it seems even Iwata is not sure how they will charge for them and Kaplan indicates free is an option they are looking at.

Iwata's comments may be a reaction to the expectation they will be free from Harrison (or whoever it was at Nintendo) being (mis?)quoted as saying they will be free.

Kerrin's comment was 6th June. Iwata's is from today and from the very top of the food chain - his word is pretty final.

What? Did anyone honestly expect it to be free? This is Nintendo's viable online business plan! Free online games, with the cost that comes along with this being covered by their online game purchase system.

Imagine Pokémon MMORPG's for free (no first party nintendo game is charged). ;)

Evil_Cloud said:
What? Did anyone honestly expect it to be free? This is Nintendo's viable online business plan! Free online games, with the cost that comes along with this being covered by their online game purchase system.

Imagine Pokémon MMORPG's for free (no first party nintendo game is charged). ;)

OMG....a Pokemon MMORPG...dude.....I didn't even think about that...that would actually kinda rock. A whole online world with other players, where you catch pokemons that are common, obscure then Rare...you'll get to battle other players in arenas...but to get to those you must first go through gym leaders....hmmmmm

*Goes and plays World of Warcraft..but is really thinking about Pokemon Online :oops:

I'm still waiting to see how this will turn out but I'm really curious to see if this means we'll be able to play games like Goldeneye, Perfect dark, JFG, etc..., in hi-res at 60fps! Probably not but hey, a guy can always dream :).

clem64 said:
I'm still waiting to see how this will turn out but I'm really curious to see if this means we'll be able to play games like Goldeneye, Perfect dark, JFG, etc..., in hi-res at 60fps! Probably not but hey, a guy can always dream :).

hi-res will only go so far to hide the incredibly low resolution textures ;)

I don't think this feature is all that great really. Not many will care about it IMO. Just a few nostalgia freaks like the ones on this board. :)

Johnny Awesome said:
I don't think this feature is all that great really. Not many will care about it IMO. Just a few nostalgia freaks like the ones on this board. :)

ahahaha....yeah, but I guess this fits in the view of Nintendo wanting to reach out to young and old. These great games would be more focused towards the older crowd that has played these games and wouldn't mind revisiting them. As far as the young goes...and the visuals of some of these games...I believe they probably wouldn't touch them with a ten foot stick...

People who seriously expected Nintendo to offer a free access to its back catalogue, are stupid. Sorry people, but it's true. :p

I mean what would be the point for Nintendo letting MILLIONS of people downloading tons of games (Including "heavy" N64 games) and therefore using a ton of bandwidth (Which is far from free)?

If Nintendo really wanted to give you access to all its old games, it would have been wiser to include a packed-in DVD-ROM with all thoses ROMs. That would at least save Nintendo a few BajillionBytes of bandwidth.

Back