Gears of war behind the scenes

very, very nice. thank you ^__^

even though there is alot of work to be done on this game, to make it more compelling from a framerate and gameplay standpoint, did you notice at the end of the video where you see the scene with the large creature clearing stuff out of the way and coming after the main character, the framerate doesnt get all choppy as in other videos? :oops:

yea , it seems to be running better , although from what i understand this build was only a week old while the one in the other videos was a month old so they could show it for mtv

Man this is looking like the Xbox 360 Killer App right now.

Yeah the gameplay had some some framerate issues...

But they have almost a year before release (if not longer if it gets the delay to Fall 2006) and the world is already hyper detailed and the gameplay actually looks fun. I got a kick of the over the sholder shooting hehehe And based on the fact they showed media from GoW in Spring/Summer 2004 it looks like the game has been in development for a while (i.e. the UE3 demo stuff from last year had GoW media in it).

Seeing the video makes me laugh at the other thread where the PS3 fan was saying "GoW looked OK I guess" :LOL: The PS3 may very well end up having better looking games (definately cannot count that out), but GoW is as good as anything we have seen in realtime. It is drop dead GORGEOUS!

although it has been said before, I will say it again...Gears of War is going to be an early killer app for Xbox 360, at least in terms of getting people wowed by next-generation visuals.

This demo was shown at E3. I downloaded this video a few weeks ago (in low res) and it was 100% the same video. I kyou're thinking that think it's looking or running better, well it was still looking/running the same at E3. Same hardware used in the demonstration video.

Qroach said:
This demo was shown at E3. I downloaded this video a few weeks ago (in low res) and it was 100% the same video. I kyou're thinking that think it's looking or running better, well it was still looking/running the same at E3. Same hardware used in the demonstration video.

Qroach this is from behind the doors in e3 , its what ign played behind the doors too .

The other video we've seen with the choppy framerates when the monster chases him in the mtv show is an older build . This was a new build done shortly before e3 and was more stable in framerate .

This video qualityis also better than the video quality of this movie that was on ign .

I never saw this video :? I do not doubt it was out a couple weeks ago, but first time I saw it. It is definately longer than the E3/MTV initial footage that was out.

There are still a lot of framerate issues though. But they are in the development stage still so nothing too much to worry about. That is to be expected, especially since it is a year off.

It really is looking quite wicked. Not only do the graphics look really great, but notice the detail in the levels and the massive amount of locusts. It is not just prettier graphics, it is more detail and more objects. That is sweet!

That ending sequence was definately cleaned up from what was shown on G4 (E3). It was a slideshow before.

Still, there is much room for improvment.

A sure hope a couple of X360 launch-window killer-apps (and graphical showcases) hit 60fps. If a standard of "visuals over framerate" is set early on there's a good chance few will bother to tune their games to 60 instead of 30 during the rest of the console's lifespan.

Hahaha I originally thought that the Large Monster Ending was some type of compressed frame thing...

So it is turning out to be just choppy video :LOL: I actually like the frame compression look better hehehehe

Forget the news about the big three press conferences; forget anything you've heard about frame rate. While you are at it, forget about Halo 3. From now until the game is actually in my hands, the only thing we care about is Gears of War. While sitting in on a 20 minute presentation from Epic my excitement over Microsoft's new console jumped back up to a near fan-boy level. Furthermore, this demonstration only confirmed what we already felt about this game, Gears of War is the killer app on Xbox 360.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/616/616188p1.html

Well, I can't tell if the choppiness/framerate problem is the vid or my PoS computer (I'm putting my $ on the computer), but that is pretty damn impressive (when they move fast it looks like superman coming out of the phonebooth). Even though I have been planning on buying the 360 to tide me over until PS3 anyway, that's a pretty big leap ahead in my book, and now I know which launch title to pick up first. This game does not look like it will disappoint. Particularly the smoke, fire and particle effects. Sound even sounded good on my puny little speakers. It looks like there is quite a bit of readily destructible stuff built in to the environment too. :oops: I liked the little flip the gun over the shoulder/over the car move he had there. Anyway the main criteria I give a hoot about is that, my God, it actually looks...fun! Hallelujah. :D Thanks for the link jvd. IMHO Motorstorm and Mobile Suit Gundam still look like they pack the most fun in all of the trailers I've seen, but this one looks like a real pleaser to me, especially for FPS fans (and I'm not generally one of them).

Anyway, it looks like I'll wind up owning two kick butt machines. I still think PS3 will pack plenty of oomph but for my purposes, that'll work and I'll gladly part with my 359.99 or whatever it is. Btw, after looking at this, I don't really have any doubts that most of the Killzone demo is doable in real time game play. I don't think these two games are really all that far apart--the characters in the KZ screens are actually pretty fuzzy, and the flame/particle effects to me (not an expert) don't seem that much more elaborate in the KZ demo vs. this one. I think much of what was so amazing in that demo was the opening sequence and the scripted fast paced action/direction, but in terms of gameplay, the graphics/overall experience I would expect will be fairly similar. Probably somewhat better in Killzone2, but not so much that it really matters-- the real distinguishing factor between the two (and most major titles) will probably be story line and gameplay mechanics, and not so much graphics. Looks like Epic has a pretty good handle on that side of things for this game. Good on them.

koldfuzion1 said:
Even though I have been planning on buying the 360 to tide me over until PS3 anyway, that's a pretty big leap ahead in my book, and now I know which launch title to pick up first.

GoW isn't a launch title :(

Qroach said:
So this hardware?
Epic's Gears of War looked awesome as well, but I asked Cliff Bleszinski what it was running on, and he admitted it was a PC with two GeForce 6800s in SLI.
R520 seems brilliant, but how does it translate to R500 with a somewhat different architecture? Doesn't it require R500-specific optimization?

jvd, thanks for posting this link. THAT's the kind of thing I was looking for from Xbox 360. Easily the best-looking footage I've seen so far.

Next gen, here we come!

Looks great! Definitely something to consider buying a X360 for.

I can also see that a lot of influence from RE4 went into GoW.

Qroach this is from behind the doors in e3 , its what ign played behind the doors too .

like I said, it was from E3 and shown at e3.

The other video we've seen with the choppy framerates when the monster chases him in the mtv show is an older build . This was a new build done shortly before e3 and was more stable in framerate .

Again, I downloaded this same video from a few weeks ago. This video exhibits the same fram rate issues that any title would display on alpha hardware, just like the other videos made for E3 on this game.

Back