I am sure Dave B will disagree with me on this one...

The nv30 was indeed canceled . There were only a couple thousand made. I remember I got lucky , I had preordered one at my local bestbuy. They got a total of 2 cards in northern new jersey (god my 5800ultra sucked)

There were also huge problems with the cards , many users had the wavey lines in the display when running the cards .

Nvidia quickly rushed out the nv3x to replace it .

jvd said:
The nv30 was indeed canceled . There were only a couple thousand made. I remember I got lucky , I had preordered one at my local bestbuy. They got a total of 2 cards in northern new jersey (god my 5800ultra sucked)

There were also huge problems with the cards , many users had the wavey lines in the display when running the cards .

Nvidia quickly rushed out the nv3x to replace it .

Consider yourself one of the lucky ones; this card is part of 3D card history now and believe me, it's extremely hard to get :)

(although I don't think you felt lucky when you first got it, but you get my point :p)

haha , i have a good collection of cards . I try to get one per generation (not refershes unless something major happens )

IgnorancePersonified said:
Actually I categorised your recent posts as "anti-fanboi-fanboi" drivel. anti-fanboi-fanboi's feel the need to recount each and every post made by anyone they deem to be on the "other side" or to refute their chosen <insert_maker_of_glitsy_merchandise> perception in the market whilst still claiming impartiality because they have recently purchased <insert_competitor_of_maker_of_glitsy_merchandise> product.

I guess it's that time of the year again.

well said, some people post just to dig/counter at every post WaltC or JVD make without having anything to add to threads except accusations of bias.

The irony of their bias accusations is quite fun really.

everyone has bias and everyone has an opinion . The only problem is some people would rather attack that bias when they have nothing to refute (sp? ) the arguement proposed . Others will attack the person and claim bias if its just something they don't wnat to hear .

I personaly just don't pay attention to anything . Through out my posting history here I've been acused of being bias in favor of every company except intel. however its a forum and I really don't care . But sometimes it gets out of hand

You know how opinions are... even if you are the most impartial person in the world you are bound to have one, it's only natural. Shoving your opinion down someone else's throat though, that's a whole different ballgame. We all love what we do, we all love to speculate and learn the more we can, but sometimes I feel we forget the difference between "discussion" and "exchange views". Everyone can exchange views, few are able to discuss though.

The problem is a lot of people think that "having an opinion" is the same as being "factually correct". Of course this is patently not the case. If I have the opinion that the moon is made of green cheese, then that does not make my opinion valid just because "it's my opinion".

Sure, if the opinion in question is purely subjective (such as which flavour of ice-cream is better), then opinions can be valid answers. When the opinion goes against known, established facts, then it's just nonsense.

Taking all that into consideration was WaltC's claim that nvidia cancelled the nv30 factually correct or just an opinion, I still do not know.

I'm pretty sure that nvidia did not cancel it at all but simply moved up nv35 as fast as they could.

Surely cancelled "nv30" implies they stopped it before it appeared, but patently that did not happen. Is it not more accurate to say they quickly stopped production as soon as they possibly could ?

Well, to be honest, when you develop a card for mass production, only to phase it out before it manages to reach only but a mere thousand users, it does smell like cancellation to me :)

It depends on what kind of mass production they intended in the first place. I mean, they knew they were in trouble as early as when MS settled on FP24 as requirement for SM2.0.

But since it's now obvious what WaltC meant when using the word cancellation, there's no point in discussing this further.

Kombatant said:
Well, to be honest, when you develop a card for mass production, only to phase it out before it manages to reach only but a mere thousand users, it does smell like cancellation to me :)

Some quick phase out, it was released in Q2 2003 and I bought mine in January 2004. So if jvd was very lucky to get one when he preordered then I was extremely lucky to buy one of the 10+ in stock a good 6 months later .....

I think some people here are getting mixed up with the availability of the nv30 and the non availability of the FX 5800 Ultra. ;)

You see, WaltC, by saying nv30 was cancelled ( with no proof up to now ) is already starting to change history as we know it :D

nv30, in FX 5800 form, had much more than "just a couple of thousand" production run.

Is there still no mention of the NV30 on Nvidia's website? IIRC, there were some people who preordered from close partners like BFG that got their cards, but a lot of people with pre-orders at places like Best Buy got emails saying their orders had been cancelled.

Nvidia did a short production run to fulfil preorders, and then dropped NV30 in favour of NV35, and since then have pretended there never was an NV30.

We were there, we lived through it, I was one of those people waiting for NV30 before finally giving up in frustration.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
We were there, we lived through it, I was one of those people waiting for NV30 before finally giving up in frustration.
Take them rose colored glasses off and smell the coffee BZB! We're wrong, history just isn't as we remember it...they've re-written it again. ;)

I really find it funny when the anti-fanboy fanboys attack like this, why are they arguing stuff they're factually wrong on? :|

Bah, you guys are arguing over language and pretending you don't know it. If we want to be picayune, every card gets cancelled. . eventually.

Except for the TNT2, apparently, which just keeps going and going. . .

I don't know if NV would have been better off to cancel NV30 *pre-release* (which is the unspoken code some of you are using). . I tend to think the trip thru the fire did them some good (other than their PR dept, which went to a very, very bad place) in the long run. I do absolutely feel bad for those poor bastards who actually managed to buy a 5800 Ultra.

dizietsma said:
nv30, in FX 5800 form, had much more than "just a couple of thousand" production run.
Definately. When I bought a 'vanilla' 5800 late November 2003 the distrubutors around here (way up in the nordic backwoods of the world) had lots of them in stock and no takers. Thay almost coudn't give them away. Only paid €100+VAT for mine, which actually was a very good deal at the time.

digitalwanderer said:
Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Take them rose colored glasses off and smell the coffee BZB! We're wrong, history just isn't as we remember it...they've re-written it again. ;)

I really find it funny when the anti-fanboy fanboys attack like this, why are they arguing stuff they're factually wrong on? :|

What facts would those be ?

Facts on one side :- nv30 was cancelled, less than 2000 produced, anyone who got one was damn lucky

Facts on the otherside :- 6 months later loads of them were available in stock for cheap and two people on this thread bought one.

It seems to me that the "anti fanboyz" have brought facts to the table whilst the fan boys have just brought two suppositions with no substantiating facts.

And I guess that is what's the difference between us.

QED

Goodnight.

My local best buy had BFG preorder boxes for the 5800 Ultra a few weeks before the "launch." The next time I visited the boxes were gone and there was no sign of the NV30 anywhere.

I call that a cancellation.

Obviously some were made and some places did recieve a batch, but to claim that it wasn't cancelled is just clouded judgement.

ANova said:
My local best buy had BFG preorder boxes for the 5800 Ultra a few weeks before the "launch." The next time I visited the boxes were gone and there was no sign of the NV30 anywhere.

I call that a cancellation.

Obviously some were made and some places did recieve a batch, but to claim that it wasn't cancelled is just clouded judgement.

It must be a very large batch, in fact two years after launch you can still buy one

http://www.mediaatlantic.com/product.php/569/1370/

What actually happened of course is that nvidia had too many nv30 chips to sell because of the problems with it, so they rushed forward nv35 and "trickled" nv30 out to people like Mercury ( Chinese company I think )who flogged them off to the unwitting, the curious and the masochistic -- me included.

They did a production run and then stopped it, it was a short production run, unlike GF4, because it was not successful, but it cannot be classed as something that was cancelled IMO.

Anyhow, that's my thoughts on the matter :)

A few cards per store around the world leads to a large batch overall, yes. Some people did manage to buy them before they were pulled so obviously there are a couple floating around. That still doesn't change the fact that nvidia cancelled production at practically the same time it launched and replaced it with the NV35 a couple months later.

Back