Xbox Live is over hyped

Vince said:
I think Live! is the best of times as well as the worst of times - to state it in a nore literary way:

As an online service, it's the pre-eminent online gaming service this side of Japan. It's the shit.. period.

It's the worst because it diminishes what was allways my main draw to console games - playing together in one room and having fun. In this way, it's shit. I don't care whose console I'm playing on, I don't want to sit alone and play against some kid in boofoo.

<Falls off Soap-Box>

<climbs onto Soap-Box>

Then get your friends to come over and play Live with you.

Vince,

It doesn't feel that way though. Honestly, it feels like I have a bunch of wacky Americans in my room with their wacky accents playing a game with me. The voice comm works very well. HOWEVER, this experience is only reproduced in limited situations where you're playing with a bunch of extroverts who aren't voice masking ;) At other times, when all you year is the occasional sneeze in your ear, it gets pretty lonely.

For a 1.0 product, I think MS did an amazing job and i look forward to future system updates.

It's the worst because it diminishes what was allways my main draw to console games - playing together in one room and having fun. In this way, it's shit. I don't care whose console I'm playing on, I don't want to sit alone and play against some kid in boofoo.

How does live stop you from still doing this?

Please, don't even bother me with an argument for why xbox live should allow mod chipped boxes

I'm not arguing as to whether or not MS should allow modded xboxes on the live network, I object to your rediculous accusation that someone couldn't possibly own a modded box for any reason other than playing pirated games.

Modding is illegal

That may be true where you live, but is certainly not the case for a large section of the planet.

Vince said:
I think Live! is the best of times as well as the worst of times - to state it in a nore literary way:

As an online service, it's the pre-eminent online gaming service this side of Japan. It's the shit.. period.

<Falls off Soap-Box>

I've hardly played by myself yet, me and my brother or friends are always playing together.

Qroach said:
How does live stop you from still doing this?

Wow, people must find fault...

I basically said that the downside - the bad - is that it doesn't have the same effect as playing with a bunch of friends in the same room where you can taunt, sware at, and charge the friend who just kicked your ass.

I never said that it would stop me, rather it's not that big of a deal or even a significant draw to me as I don't wanta play some kid from Europe (no offense).

The thread was about the over hyping of Live! was it not? <Doc Evil voice> Right.....

Well Vince, it's honestly your loss. I've been playing online games since Doom, and I can really put my seal of approval on XBL (despite its many glitches).

And about the Euro thing, that was only at the end of beta ;) Its up in the air as to whether or not MS will link the 3 networks. The UK guys really really really embraced the North Americans with open arms, due to the language barrier with Germany/France. As to what will happen in the future, its anyone's guess.

And if you do run into any Euro folk, all you really need to know are these phrases:

Auf Deutsch...

"Beginnen Sie das Spiel" / 'Beginnen zee das schpiel'
"Scheisse" / 'Scheiss-uh'
and "Du bist schwul" ;) / 'Do beest schvuhl'

And in French...

"Commencez le jeu" / 'Commensay le jeuh'
"Merd" / 'M-air-duh'
and "Tu es gai" ;) / 'Too eh guy'

BTW, to the euro beta testers, how is that going, with the language barriers and all? I only ask because I'm curious as to how MS will work around this.

Don't complain unless you're buying your games.
Say what?
IMO PS2 online is user friendly is ways is due to its PC style online.
Get the necessary hardware and software and you can play from almost anyway.

Can a modded console really allows you to cheat online?
I wonder how is that possible. :oops:

Zurich now that you mention it i have run into several japanese and german speaking europeans who claimed to be playing out of their respective nations.

archie4oz: A lot of 'homebrew' software writers used warez copies of the XDK to create their programs.

It'd been insane for Microsoft to allowed modded Xboxes on the network - within a week there'd be a cheat for every popular game on the system.

Can anyone explain to me how modded Xbox running original Xbox games allow for cheating?

chap said:
Can anyone explain to me how modded Xbox running original Xbox games allow for cheating?

Trainer/loader programs are the simplest method. They would be burnt to a disk. After the trainer/loader program has loaded itself into memory, it will eject it's CD/DVD, then prompt you to put the DVD of the original game into the Drive and go.

chap said:

Well gee chap, let me think.

1) Edit the save games
2) Copy the game to the hard disk, and modify its files directly, or run a modified copy of the game
3) Run a trainer from the hard disk or CD drive

Bloody troll.

Back