Xbox Live is over hyped

marconelly! said:
although I think they will not be a driving force behind console sales anytime soon.

You have to crawl before you can walk, Marconelly, let alone run. Of course XBL and other online console gaming services aren't going to drive sales at first. Why do detractors insist on stating what is so obvious over and over again?

Maybe it's being hyped because there aren't too many people online to play with so the hype is used to get more people to go online ;)

You'd be surprised. Upon clicking "create game", atleast 4 or 5 people are already in my lobby before I even load up.

Same with a dedicated server in UC.. its _ALWAYS_ full, they hijack my xbox :devilish:

mech said:
For everyone saying "whoopdee do" - is there anything else out there comparable to Xbox Live?

No.

Thats the point!
Xbox Live is good but is simply over hyped by MS and their fans.

PS2 online is comparable to Xbox Live.
Sure it does not have a matchmake service and the fancy voice chatting, but PS2 online has online games that are jsut as cool. And in some ways, it is more user friendly to setup and in others Xbox Live is better to use. :oops:

2 ways i can think of, no banning of modded systems and region-free online gaming(not all but there are a handful).

chap said:
2 ways i can think of, no banning of modded systems and region-free online gaming(not all but there are a handful).

You think NOT banning modded system would be a GOOD thing?

Chap is just trolling. forget discussing this with him. He knows nothing about xbox live, and won't listen to anyone that actually has it.

The fact that it DOES have region free gaming and I can chck my firends list to see whateveryone is playing, proves both of his last too points wrong. I'm, GLAD they don't let modded systems play. If you're going to steal games, then you shouldn't be allowed to get all the frills. plain and simple.

Qroach said:
I'm, GLAD they don't let modded systems play. If you're going to steal games, then you shouldn't be allowed to get all the frills. plain and simple.

But what if you modded the system so you could write software for it? Believe it or not, this has become a rather popular hobby.

Chap is just trolling. forget discussing this with him. He knows nothing about xbox live, and won't listen to anyone that actually has it.

The fact that it DOES have region free gaming and I can chck my firends list to see whateveryone is playing, proves both of his last too points wrong. I'm, GLAD they don't let modded systems play. If you're going to steal games, then you shouldn't be allowed to get all the frills. plain and simple.

:LOL:

Let's say i am from Australia.
I could mod my PS2, get a original copy of SOCOM with PS2 Network card and i can start playing SOCOM online.

Can the Xbox do that?

Modded Xbox ban = bad.
Pirated games ban = good.

Reznor,

But what if you modded the system so you could write software for it? Believe it or not, this has become a rather popular hobby.

Doesn't matter if it's a hobby. Those people "witting software" are ONLY doing so for the people that have mod chips and pirated games. Sorry, but why should microsoft support that? Why should I as a developer support that??

Gubbi

Or me, I NTSC modded my XBox, all my games (7 so far) are bought and paid for.

Sorry dude, but are you telling me you modded your xbox without the idea you'd be playing pirated games on it? You're telling me you don't have ANY pirated games? no matter what you say I'd have serious doubts in trusting your answer.

chap,

Let's say i am from Australia.
I could mod my PS2, get a original copy of SOCOM with PS2 Network card and i can start playing SOCOM online.

Can the Xbox do that?

Modded Xbox ban = bad.
Pirated games ban = good.

Don't complain unless you're buying your games.

Reznor007 said:
Qroach said:
I'm, GLAD they don't let modded systems play. If you're going to steal games, then you shouldn't be allowed to get all the frills. plain and simple.

Well, if they were smart they'd get a modchip that you can turn on and off.

Obviously, you'd want this chip OFF if you're playing Xbox Live.

Sorry dude, but are you telling me you modded your xbox without the idea you'd be playing pirated games on it? You're telling me you don't have ANY pirated games? no matter what you say I'd have serious doubts in trusting your answer.

BS! Maybe it's fine living in the US and getting games at release. Many other places have to wait months to see a release (if one actually emerges at all).

I've owned modded/non domestic consoles many times in the past & paid massively above the odds to get them & the games to play on them. Don't project your own values on people you don't even know. Regional coding serves no purpose so far as the consumer is concerned. This may not be an issue in the US but it certainly is elsewhere.

Please, don't even bother me with an argument for why xbox live should allow mod chipped boxes because games come out later in different places. North america has to wait for LOT's of games coming out of japan and Europe as well.

Modding is illegal. Using copied game are illegal. There's no bending the rules to make sense out of it. Also, this is a bit off topuic, how about we get back to discussion?

I hear that the intial shipment of xbox live kits (150,000 sold out in the first week. Not bad for a "over hyped" online service, is it? Anyway, back to playing the amazing splinter cell. This game is so freaking cool!

Those people "witting software" are ONLY doing so for the people that have mod chips and pirated games. Sorry, but why should microsoft support that? Why should I as a developer support that??

Actually they're doing for the hobby of dev'ing for the platform, not for pirates. In fact, most homebrew dev's hate pirates with a pation because they're often lumped in with the same people...

As far as I'm concerned with Live however, I'm all for banning modded Xboxes in an effort to keep cheating down. Of course I can only say thing because I have two (one modded and the other not)...

It's also easier for MS to enforce that on Xbox since it's a DRM machine and the PS2 isn't, so it's also a bit of a technology/implimentation issue rather than solely company policy...

I think Live! is the best of times as well as the worst of times - to state it in a nore literary way:

As an online service, it's the pre-eminent online gaming service this side of Japan. It's the shit.. period.

It's the worst because it diminishes what was allways my main draw to console games - playing together in one room and having fun. In this way, it's shit. I don't care whose console I'm playing on, I don't want to sit alone and play against some kid in boofoo.

<Falls off Soap-Box>

Back