Sony confirms plans to launch PS3 in Spring 2006 (U.S.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
mckmas8808 said:
Is this good enough? :)

Not even close, but, I'll let this debate die.

Motorstorm and Heavenly sword look like they could be amazing. Killzone 2 could be good, could, other than I don't see much.

I don't know how anyone can look at the franchises created on XBOX since 2001, and the franchises created on PS2 in the same timeframe, and honestly think PS2 is even coming close to producing the same quality of orginal titles. Quantity != Quality.

But, to each their own, I still think you'll miss out on WAY more quality franchises by not having a 360 than you will not having a PS3. But only time will tell that...

EDit: Kolgar. That's exactly what I'll be doing, buy the 360, simply cause I can't let that beautiful new 46" HDTV go to waste... then I'll wait to see what the PS3 has to offer. It's not like PS2 had nothing that interested me, i wouldn't say that, it just got old. And the AAA titles were way to few and far between.

As for MS developing their own IP out of necessaty, without a doubt that's true. It's only to serve their own end goals, but the end results is the consumer wins big time. And doesn't that give them an advantage over Sony? As most of Sony's traditional exlusives could very well be going cross-platform next gen, and then where does that leave them?

btw ,MGS4 should be something new and different,epic hasn't (imho) donne a single worthy game since unreal1 ,then has done and redone the same game years after years ,so allow me to keep my expectations low concerning gears of war.It could very well end being only a graphical showcase to sell their engine.

Scooby-dooby : Looking at the XB360 lineup, nothing appeals to me. I think it's a matter of taste. On PS2 games like Champions of Norrath, ICO, SOTC, Okami, Shining Force Neo, Dragon Quest 8, provide exclusive titles that interest me. There's also the likes of Jak+Daxter and Ratchet+Clank that people rave about. There's EyeToy offering great party gaming and now with some titles building on it further (though it's still under-used).

Looking ahead, I expect more of the same, plus UE3 FPS's for those that like them, plus amazing EyeToy interactions like the E3 demo showed possible. Sony have provided a platform with very diverse content, with Sony providing backing for some of these directly (GOW, ICO, SOTC). PS3's content will presumably be stronger than it is now, with better action/FPS type games which PS2 has been rather weak on this generation (from what i understand, but I've no interest in these things and for all I know PS2 has great FPS's!)

It's certainly very wrong to think there's nothing more to Sony's platforms than GT, MGS, and a few others. If none of it's content appeals to you, that'd suggest your tastes are more 'XBoxy' in the same way nothing much on XBox appeals to me, though PS3 will add more of that style in future, even if new IP and not 5 year old franchises ;)

Honestly scooby if you like Kameo, Jade Empire, Ninja Gaiden, KOTOR, Halo, Forza, PD0, Gears of War, Lost Odyssey, Blue Drago than Sony will have a game like it in more quantity. Each of those games can be matched with a game that the PS3 will have.

But if you don't think its possible than oh well I guess Sony will miss your money. :(

scooby_dooby said:
mckmas8808 said:

Not even close, but, I'll let this debate die.

Motorstorm and Heavenly sword look like they could be amazing. Killzone 2 could be good, could, other than I don't see much.

I don't know how anyone can look at the franchises created on XBOX since 2001, and the franchises created on PS2 in the same timeframe, and honestly think PS2 is even coming close to producing the same quality of orginal titles. Quantity != Quality.

But, to each their own, I still think you'll miss out on WAY more quality franchises by not having a 360 than you will not having a PS3. But only time will tell that...

EDit: Kolgar. That's exactly what I'll be doing, buy the 360, simply cause I can't let that beautiful new 46" HDTV go to waste... then I'll wait to see what the PS3 has to offer. It's not like PS2 had nothing that interested me, i wouldn't say that, it just got old. And the AAA titles were way to few and far between.

As for MS developing their own IP out of necessaty, without a doubt that's true. It's only to serve their own end goals, but the end results is the consumer wins big time. And doesn't that give them an advantage over Sony? As most of Sony's traditional exlusives could very well be going cross-platform next gen, and then where does that leave them?

I don't think you should impose your gaming preferences on other people. I can say the exact same thing about xbox. Quantity may not equal quality, but when the quantity is so huge, then there's bound to be more than its share of quality. I don't think I bought a PS2 until Jak came along, and its because of games like Jak, Ratchet, and Sly that I prefer PS2. Just because I do not care about games like JE or KOTOR, or I prefer the GT series to PGR does not make me any less of a gamer or any less knowledgeable about what's "good". I bought GC simply for LOZ:WW .. I don't feel like I've missed anything from xbox, because I've never been compelled by any single game from that console.

I believe that Sony may not have the capability to launch in Spring. I mean...if they launch this Spring that would basically mean a world wide release right? Japan and the USA at the same time? or just the US? How are they going to start to manufacture enough PS3's if they do a simultaneous release to multiple regions?

But I guess there at risk of losing a whole lot of ground if they don't release there Console as closely as possible to the realease of 360. But due to past experience with Sony launches, I forsee alot of shortages at the release....

Hey Blue they might release in Japan at the end of March and then wait until E3 to launch in the U.S. That gives them about 2 months to stock up on more PS3s.

"Launch shortages!!!"

Always a great tactic to stoke demand for a new console... Shades of PS2 in 2000 - and I hear Microsoft is doing it now! :)

Do I have to name them again? Kameo, Jade Empire, Ninja Gaiden, KOTOR, Halo, Forza, PD0, Gears of War, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, all new franchises(except NG), all XBOX exclusive.
Don't you think that it's a bit ironic that more than half of your listed games are just sequels to existing franchizes, the same issue you're complaining about on PS3?

The sad thing is that you probably never even researched into the PS2 library, which is bustling with games that didn't sell too many copies, but to many people are more innovative and interesting than most big and popular franchizes. Even when it comes to those, PS2 has so many of quality AAA games that also were million sellers. It's one thing to have no personal interest in those particular games, but it's stupid to complain about the lack of the creativity and quality, when it's clearly there, both in niche titles and big sellers.

Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Katamari Damacy, Okami, Rez, Frequency, Amplitude, Singstar, Gradius V, Siren are just some of the less popular games that I find more interesting than most big franchises, and that you can find on PS2.

scooby_dooby

I don't see how my opinion can be considered trollish, when it's the VERY REASON I sold my PS2 and switched to the XBOX. Lack of quality, original games. I was sick of the 4 big franchises, and other than those few good games they were turning out crap like Red Faction. The exact reason I switched was because of lack of innivation/new franchises.

So quite avoiding the issue. Tell me specific AAA exclusives on the PS3 that I haven't already mentioned. I've named specific games and specific franchises to iluistrate my point for the 360.

Do I have to name them again? Kameo, Jade Empire, Ninja Gaiden, KOTOR, Halo, Forza, PD0, Gears of War, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, all new franchises(except NG), all XBOX exclusive.

So now I'll wait for you to give me a list of good franchises that wil be PS3 exlusive, BESIDES the same old sequels (MGS, GT5 etc).

If PS3 will really have the bext "new ideas/new franchizes" then why is it so hard for you to simply name them?

• only Ninja gaiden is attractive in that pile. KOTOR is like Halo, people convinced themselves its an end-all-be-all killer app. When red faction to me was more solid. I loved Ocanara of time, wind breaker, naw. I keep things real, I grew up on Star Wars. And will not go gagg over things related to it, toys, clothes, etc. Think of all the PS1 and PS2 titles that were up your alley that you DO NOT know about, have you played them all, really.

And eye-toy, Sony lacks that cutes style nintendo has, something like Nintendogs was a shoo-in for eye-toy, in fact, a much better prospect on a big screen. The idea was theirs not to get before nintendo. Nintendo might have been on the sales decline where consoles are concerned. But one thing i give them over the others, you look forward to playing stuff they bring out over and over. They are still a rabbit-out-the-ass company. And x360 might end up being third this time around. Because, I woudl play the hell out of some of the old addictive 2-d games, i dont knwo about ya'll. Even though good games for the revolution will trickle out more slowly then the others.

Well scooby you have enough respones by know so I just you should have a greater idea of what the PS3 has in store for the world. Even though we didn't want to really answer you we have. Go check out the games listed, buy you PS2 back, and play some of the games the guys have layed out.

I bet you will find yourself surprised. In fact alot of those games are super cheap now so money will be less of an issue. :)

Listen, I used to think Sony 1st party was crap and it used to be true, but IMO they have the best 1st party development right now. I didn't like the PS2 hardware and I had plenty of Xbox and Cube games to play already, so I passed on the PS2, but it wasn't because I thought there was a lack of cool and innovative games. I still plan to pick one up when they hit $99.

scooby_dooby said:
mckmas8808 said:

It's not like PS2 had nothing that interested me, i wouldn't say that, it just got old. And the AAA titles were way to few and far between.

Hmmmm... PS2 has 10 AAA titles for each single XBOX AAA title...

And with PS3 it will only get worst to X360.

XBoX has 7 Best Sellers (> 1 million copies)
PS2 has 52 titles with more than 1 million copies sold...

The best XBOX game is Halo/Halo2, and it´s good, a bit boring to some people, too much boring for most, but it´s XBOX best.

PS2 has at least 10 games that pisses on HALO´s head.

mckmas8808 said:
Well scooby you have enough respones by know so I just you should have a greater idea of what the PS3 has in store for the world. Even though we didn't want to really answer you we have. Go check out the games listed, buy you PS2 back, and play some of the games the guys have layed out.

I bet you will find yourself surprised. In fact alot of those games are super cheap now so money will be less of an issue. :)
\

Honestly with work, gf and everything else I don't even have time to play my XBOX games as much as I'd like.

Some of the best games I've ever played in my life were on XBOX, games like Jade Empire, Ninja Gaiden, KOTOR and Halo.

And I wouldn't trade those for any number of mediocre games, or re-hashed versions of games on their 4 or 5 sequels.

I'm not interested in obscure japanese RPG's, or kiddy games, so my opinion is still that that really great games on PS2 that are exclusive are very far between.

Helstar said:
Hmmmm... PS2 has 10 AAA titles for each single XBOX AAA title...

And with PS3 it will only get worst to X360.

XBoX has 7 Best Sellers (> 1 million copies)
PS2 has 52 titles with more than 1 million copies sold...

The best XBOX game is Halo/Halo2, and it´s good, a bit boring to some people, too much boring for most, but it´s XBOX best.

PS2 has at least 10 games that pisses on HALO´s head.

Hi guys, long time lurker, 1st time poster. :oops:

Just wanted to comment that QTY of games sold can not be used as a measuring stick to Xbox games based on the incredible advantage of installed units that PS2 owns. IMO

An Xbox title selling 400,000 units in relation to the number of installed units is something like 1.2mil sold on PS2.

1mil sold on XBOX means that a fairly large percentage of installed users own that title.

I understand what you're saying Tap In but its not Sony's fault that the Xbox is not selling that much. From a dev's stand point if they can sell a million they make choose to go exclusivley to Sony because of the installed base.

Going exclusive does have its advantages. First one obviously being that Sony could have slipped you a couple of dollars to do so, but also focusing on one console could make your one game better overall that it being a multiplatform game.

You have a point but a million is a million. That doesn't mean we have to add and throw in all of Xbox's games that have sold 400,000. If that was the case the PS2 would have hundreds on 400,000 sellers.

OK, well, now that the discussion has been shot to hell, mods, feel free to lock this thread.

The purpose of which was to debate PS3's LAUNCH DATE--not to try and change some Xbox fan's mind about PS2. :devilish:

Thank you scooby, and mckmas. You have made closing this thread rather easy. You both need to stop posting off topic and trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back