Sony confirms plans to launch PS3 in Spring 2006 (U.S.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Acert93 said:
The difference being Sony owns the PS2 IPs. MS does not own the Xbox CPU or GPU IPs. That kind of throws a wrinkle into it :?
Yes, but that's basically unrelated to how well either company will be able to provide software emulation.

mckmas8808 said:
You have got to be kidding me. Sony has already said that BC is not a problem at all. They have already proved themselves here. So lets just stop with this question mark.
I'm trying to be rational here. Sony is not above reproach where a massive programming effort is required. Neither is MS, actually.

TTP said:
EDIT: As to how they are gonna "have every Xbox game work on Xbox 360" I assume they will just release new downloadable exe's.
Finally, you saw it. That's what I meant.

TTP said:
So behind indeed that they flat out announced that PS3 is BC with "Over 13.000 titles".
So you just believe Sony blindly because they made a slide about it? You're free to do that, of course, but I don't think that's warranted. If you can't see that BC will be much harder for Sony this time around, maybe you should reexamine the situation. To me, at least, it's clear cut that Sony has a tremendous amount more work emulating the PS2 on the PS3.

Qroach said:
This notion of MS supplying new exe's, simplyly isn not logical and needs to stop.
Hunting down old game codebases just for a recompile does sound out-there.
But assuming that they aren't doing full-blown low-level emulation, you're pretty much stuck with each game requiring its own setup, even down to specific runtime files.
It might very well be a performance issue too, not just compatibility, that would require this type of approach.

They both need to use emulators from what i understand.
Was there any official statements to that end yet? I thought it's just general impression that it would be cheaper for Sony to use emu then sticking a bunch of extra chips in there - but what they will actually do remains to be seen.

Inane_Dork said:
To me, at least, it's clear cut that Sony has a tremendous amount more work emulating the PS2 on the PS3.
As opposed to what, XBox1? If we're talking real lowlevel-emu there's not much difference really, neither is trivial on the target hw.

This is another of those degenerating threads :rolleyes:

Inane_Dork said:
TTP said:
Where did I say MS will ship recompiled games?
Shifty Geezer said:
The recompiling statements weren't from there, but other rumours (including MS spokespersons). http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=8996
It's apparent that XB360 doesn't have 'straight forward' BC like PS2 did.
Because of one article? Nelson was responding to that article and calling it crap. You can't base your whole perception of the thing on one questionable article.
That was one article I found, from a 'professional' website, to show I was making these stories up. I'm not saying it alone can be considered Gospel Truth, but I'd take GI.biz's statements from MS spokespersons over Major Nelsons any day! Nelson was talking about debunking repurchasing rumours, and not talking about how emulation was implemented, IIRC.

TTP said:
So behind indeed that they flat out announced that PS3 is BC with "Over 13.000 titles".
So you just believe Sony blindly because they made a slide about it?
And you'd believe MS blindly because Major Nelson made a statement about it? :? I'm afraid all any of us have to go on is official statements and insider remarks, untilthe hardware's in or laps.

Honestly, arguing about BC on PS3 when absolutely no-one has any idea how it's implemented - it's just crazy! All I said was 'IF Sony get BC working as well as they did with PS1, it'll be a good thing.' Conditional statements seem very buggy on this forum. I think the mods need to work on the parser...

And jvd, you still haven't answered my question. Why do you count PS3 as having no working games when we know Heavenly Sword is running and we've seen real-time UE3 engine with the promise of UT2007? Games have been in development for it for yonks. I don't understand why you question the availability of software in the next 9+ months.

Fafalada said:
But assuming that they aren't doing full-blown low-level emulation, you're pretty much stuck with each game requiring its own setup, even down to specific runtime files.
MS has the IP to a good x86 system emulator for PPC, but my guess is downloadable patches would be for performance reasons. It might be that for most things the low-level Xbox emulator would be enough but for critical sections they might want to hand-tune the code the translated code.

As opposed to what, XBox1? If we're talking real lowlevel-emu there's not much difference really, neither is trivial on the target hw.
The Xbox1 seems like an easier target to emulate, especially if you already have a working emulator.

I have no idea how well Cell can do an emulator, hopefully they can put the SPEs to good use. If Sony has to bite the bullet on yet more hardware going in that box, ouch.

Regards a March launch, it is possible.

People questioning availability of finalised hardware, it isn't needed. Games development is on Linux, PPC ISA, nVidia GPU's running OpenGL. Common interfaces. First gen games will just be running off the PPE I guess. Nothing spectacular in terms of console performance, but at least visually, leaps and bounds ahead of this gen. Heavenly Sword for example is PPE only. UE3 so far is PPE only.
So Sony doesn't need to finalise hardware months before release to enable devs to code for the system. They can add features in the last minute - they just won't be used straight off the bat. First gen games will just use the standard APIs. Finalised hardware shouldn't matter.

If given a choice between a March release or a September release, March probably makes more sense. With less demnd they can gradually stockpile while still building up a user base. If sales are weak (250,000 a month) that's still 1.5 million Sony will have up on a September release, 1.5 million Software consumers. The quicker you get growing, the better. They'll always be one Christmas behind XB360 in sales whenever they launch - why make it an extra 6-8 months behind 360 if you have the hardware ready?

If they have a naff line-up it could hurt, but I don't see that happening. We've already seen UE3 running. There'll be games comparable to XB360s in terms of visuals and content if both launch in a similar time-frame. I expect both to receive a large share of ports, as devs tie in new content with the PC market to maximise software sales. Next-gen consoles will be too small to begin with.

As such I think as others here have said (Laa-Yosh!) it's better for Sony to make an early appearance with nothing groundbreaking, the PlayStation name, and next-gen graphics comparable side-by-side with XB360, to disrupt 360s momentum, then to launch a year after. A year of accumlating interest in 360 would NEED an earth-shattering launch from Sony to knock the wind out of that momentum.

The only other real option is the stalling one. Promise March, and keep pushing back. I don't think that'll work anywhere other than Europe (where it's the norm). eg. PSP in EU was delayed to supply the Japanese, US and Korean markets. I imagine a March release is US only woulc be the smartest tactical release Sony could do. Well, it will work because everyong will wait, but they'll get angry!

Regards killer apps, that's not needed until you're going head to head in the high-sales seasons. Those that want Halo 3 will get XB360 regardless of what Sony do. Those that want GT5 won't get XB360. Killer apps drive a strong launch, but that might go against Sony's wishes, especially if they have limited production. Better instead to have slow sales, stockpile, then release the killer apps against MS's at Christmas trying to win favour, knowing there's a hardware base to support the games too.

Regards MS marketting XB360 like stink, they made a pretty has job of marketting XB (at least in the EU from what I remember) and their showing so far has been weak. They don't seem as good at pushing consoles as they re at pushing OSs!

And finally, Sony may have a 'trump card' if they've got really good backwards compatibility. This is an unknown, but if you can play PS2 games enhanced like they managed with PS emulation, say AA and aniso filtering, PS3 will appeal to the existing PS2 users by offering their current games a new lease of life - no frame drops and better IQ - until the decent software comes around. I think that could be one of PS3's key strengths if they can manage it (but that might be really hard as PS2 games are written to the metal)

• A shrunken down PS2 chipset can be used in conjunction with the PS3, especially this eDram. Developers , I read , could have utilized the PS1's 2MB as RAM with the PS2's if they wanted. Song have long since integrated the EE + GS. ANd they have fabs that can hcurn those babies out by the thousands. So if they say backwards compatibility, better me believe SOny the Microsoft.

By the way, Both Xbox and PS2 are low-end DVD players, if you own either , what really is the motivation to get rid of them. Many people still buy PSone, I do not, because of the graphical leap, there is a very small amount of games that I can still go and play. Take into account that Gears of War and huxley are the only two TRULY next-gen LOOKING titles on the X360, if I were an xbox owner, my current system woudl be just fine. I look at the upcoming hitmamn and revised MGS3, among other things, and it's clear the PS2 might not realistically be peaking. I love my PS2, love my cube, not as much, but I can bare looking at nigh-impressive x360 titles around x-mas time. As opposed to buying a few high quality current gen titles. So backwards compatibility this time around is not an issue, because unlike PS1 games, PS2 games wont look that bad to PS3 next-gen quality, albeit the tech demos ARE accurate to the power PS3 possesses. DO not want to be fanboyish or put a foot in my mouth.

But like I stated in another post. Nintendo was rumored to have showed off what revolution can to to select developers. Maybe it;s like many said, show what 'might' be possible on the PS3, taking the winds out of MS momentum, while not yet showing their true strength. If Sony can up it's online capabilities to current X-box live capabilities, they would have done enough. Because those entering into the online arena this time around would no doubt be impressed otherwise, and it seems MS is hinging it's existence on peaking the interests of it's 5% online xbox gamers(go figure).

jvd wrote:
So that prices fall and we don't have a monopoly .... Last time i check having one company with 70-80% of the market is a bad thing

JasonLD

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:22 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I had to choose company which can potentially monopolize console market..it would be Microsoft...lol

Microsoft's pattern of market dominance
V1.0(Entrance)
V2.0(Positioning)
V3.0(Dominance)
Xbox is in V2.0 right now..will we be seeing Microsoft dominance of console market in 2011?

• Sigh, JVD, you kidding right. Sure, Sony took a Nintendo-esque type stance when PS2 came out, poor developer support, a book givein to american Devs, written in japanese. MS did their homework and did alot of things right, kinda like what Ken and crew did too Nintendo. I do not have the link, but trust me, Sony was set to re-release the PS2, way more powerful with easier tools when Microsoft announced the X-box. I need to find the link, because I know it's important to the skeptics. Ken Kutarguri was 'scared'. Because it was this arrogance, that made Nintendo suffer, if not for the battery life of the much superior Atari link, albeit without the inclusion of tetris. the gameboy would not have this uncanny choke-hold on the handheld front(personally, this Nintendogs phenonenom , might bury PSP's momentum).

X-box inclusion will make this next-generation all the more sweeter for us gamers, But come on................. Microsoft, you really want them to gain more share over Sony/Nintendo. Take it with grain of salt with that guys MS lines of SCREW-session:

V1.0(Entrance)
    V2.0(Positioning)
    V3.0(Dominance)
    Xbox is in V2.0 right now..will we be seeing Microsoft dominance of console market in 2011?

^^^^^^ That there my friend, is why I do not own an X-box, I shudder to think how crashed the future of the game industry woudl be if MS dominated. I might sound hypocritical, I love the X-box as a system, I read up on teh tech stuff all the time, BUT, wont support ANY MS console. I like windows and that is enough. Sure, the world does not revolve around my *ss, and they have to grow. It;s just their tactics I'm concerned about, BUt, competition is good. And Gears of War and Huxley, they have me in a serious valley of decision,but I might have to do without*cries*

MS will gain more market share, but the market will expand I feel. I grew up in the atari and nintendo era, I got tired of the kiddie game vibe, and took a fews game hiatus, before I walked into a gamestore and this knowledgeable manager told me all about PS1. After that, my passion re-ignited. But as a world conscious person, i mull over monopolistic idealists, Nintendo is stubborn. But I feel the must always be there in some way, shape pr form. MS, their inclusion in current-gen was good, cause they forced Sony to steer away from a nintendo mind-set, and I'm sure Sony has an ace somewhere up their sleeve.

Microsoft is having pipe dreams if they think that can win. They will increased, but not overtake, bet that

This is my attemp at a half-decent post, put alot of care into it, so I hope you guys appreciate it. Because, I learned alot here, those other forums with the exception of 2 others are................... weird.
    Peace

talyn99 said:
Regards a March launch, it is possible.

People questioning availability of finalised hardware, it isn't needed. Games development is on Linux, PPC ISA, nVidia GPU's running OpenGL. Common interfaces. First gen games will just be running off the PPE I guess. Nothing spectacular in terms of console performance, but at least visually, leaps and bounds ahead of this gen. Heavenly Sword for example is PPE only. UE3 so far is PPE only.
So Sony doesn't need to finalise hardware months before release to enable devs to code for the system. They can add features in the last minute - they just won't be used straight off the bat. First gen games will just use the standard APIs. Finalised hardware shouldn't matter.

If given a choice between a March release or a September release, March probably makes more sense. With less demnd they can gradually stockpile while still building up a user base. If sales are weak (250,000 a month) that's still 1.5 million Sony will have up on a September release, 1.5 million Software consumers. The quicker you get growing, the better. They'll always be one Christmas behind XB360 in sales whenever they launch - why make it an extra 6-8 months behind 360 if you have the hardware ready?

If they have a naff line-up it could hurt, but I don't see that happening. We've already seen UE3 running. There'll be games comparable to XB360s in terms of visuals and content if both launch in a similar time-frame. I expect both to receive a large share of ports, as devs tie in new content with the PC market to maximise software sales. Next-gen consoles will be too small to begin with.

As such I think as others here have said (Laa-Yosh!) it's better for Sony to make an early appearance with nothing groundbreaking, the PlayStation name, and next-gen graphics comparable side-by-side with XB360, to disrupt 360s momentum, then to launch a year after. A year of accumlating interest in 360 would NEED an earth-shattering launch from Sony to knock the wind out of that momentum.

The only other real option is the stalling one. Promise March, and keep pushing back. I don't think that'll work anywhere other than Europe (where it's the norm). eg. PSP in EU was delayed to supply the Japanese, US and Korean markets. I imagine a March release is US only woulc be the smartest tactical release Sony could do. Well, it will work because everyong will wait, but they'll get angry!

Regards killer apps, that's not needed until you're going head to head in the high-sales seasons. Those that want Halo 3 will get XB360 regardless of what Sony do. Those that want GT5 won't get XB360. Killer apps drive a strong launch, but that might go against Sony's wishes, especially if they have limited production. Better instead to have slow sales, stockpile, then release the killer apps against MS's at Christmas trying to win favour, knowing there's a hardware base to support the games too.

Regards MS marketting XB360 like stink, they made a pretty has job of marketting XB (at least in the EU from what I remember) and their showing so far has been weak. They don't seem as good at pushing consoles as they re at pushing OSs!

And finally, Sony may have a 'trump card' if they've got really good backwards compatibility. This is an unknown, but if you can play PS2 games enhanced like they managed with PS emulation, say AA and aniso filtering, PS3 will appeal to the existing PS2 users by offering their current games a new lease of life - no frame drops and better IQ - until the decent software comes around. I think that could be one of PS3's key strengths if they can manage it (but that might be really hard as PS2 games are written to the metal)

• A shrunken down PS2 chipset can be used in conjunction with the PS3, especially this eDram. Developers , I read , could have utilized the PS1's 2MB as RAM with the PS2's if they wanted. Song have long since integrated the EE + GS. ANd they have fabs that can hcurn those babies out by the thousands. So if they say backwards compatibility, better me believe SOny the Microsoft.

By the way, Both Xbox and PS2 are low-end DVD players, if you own either , what really is the motivation to get rid of them. Many people still buy PSone, I do not, because of the graphical leap, there is a very small amount of games that I can still go and play. Take into account that Gears of War and huxley are the only two TRULY next-gen LOOKING titles on the X360, if I were an xbox owner, my current system woudl be just fine. I look at the upcoming hitmamn and revised MGS3, among other things, and it's clear the PS2 might not realistically be peaking. I love my PS2, love my cube, not as much, but I can bare looking at nigh-impressive x360 titles around x-mas time. As opposed to buying a few high quality current gen titles. So backwards compatibility this time around is not an issue, because unlike PS1 games, PS2 games wont look that bad to PS3 next-gen quality, albeit the tech demos ARE accurate to the power PS3 possesses. DO not want to be fanboyish or put a foot in my mouth.

But like I stated in another post. Nintendo was rumored to have showed off what revolution can to to select developers. Maybe it;s like many said, show what 'might' be possible on the PS3, taking the winds out of MS momentum, while not yet showing their true strength. If Sony can up it's online capabilities to current X-box live capabilities, they would have done enough. Because those entering into the online arena this time around would no doubt be impressed otherwise, and it seems MS is hinging it's existence on peaking the interests of it's 5% online xbox gamers(go figure).

jvd wrote:
So that prices fall and we don't have a monopoly .... Last time i check having one company with 70-80% of the market is a bad thing

JasonLD

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:22 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I had to choose company which can potentially monopolize console market..it would be Microsoft...lol

V1.0(Entrance)
V2.0(Positioning)
V3.0(Dominance)

• Sigh, JVD, you kidding right. Sure, Sony took a Nintendo-esque type stance when PS2 came out, poor developer support, a book givein to american Devs, written in japanese. MS did their homework and did alot of things right, kinda like what Ken and crew did too Nintendo. I do not have the link, but trust me, Sony was set to re-release the PS2, way more powerful with easier tools when Microsoft announced the X-box. I need to find the link, because I know it's important to the skeptics. Ken Kutarguri was 'scared'. Because it was this arrogance, that made Nintendo suffer, if not for the battery life of the much superior Atari link, albeit without the inclusion of tetris. the gameboy would not have this uncanny choke-hold on the handheld front(personally, this Nintendogs phenonenom , might bury PSP's momentum).

X-box inclusion will make this next-generation all the more sweeter for us gamers, But come on................. Microsoft, you really want them to gain more share over Sony/Nintendo. Take it with grain of salt with that guys MS lines of SCREW-session:

V1.0(Entrance)
    V2.0(Positioning)
    V3.0(Dominance)

^^^^^^ That there my friend, is why I do not own an X-box, I shudder to think how crashed the future of the game industry woudl be if MS dominated. I might sound hypocritical, I love the X-box as a system, I read up on teh tech stuff all the time, BUT, wont support ANY MS console. I like windows and that is enough. Sure, the world does not revolve around my *ss, and they have to grow. It;s just their tactics I'm concerned about, BUt, competition is good. And Gears of War and Huxley, they have me in a serious valley of decision,but I might have to do without*cries*

MS will gain more market share, but the market will expand I feel. I grew up in the atari and nintendo era, I got tired of the kiddie game vibe, and took a fews game hiatus, before I walked into a gamestore and this knowledgeable manager told me all about PS1. After that, my passion re-ignited. But as a world conscious person, i mull over monopolistic idealists, Nintendo is stubborn. But I feel the must always be there in some way, shape pr form. MS, their inclusion in current-gen was good, cause they forced Sony to steer away from a nintendo mind-set, and I'm sure Sony has an ace somewhere up their sleeve.

Microsoft is having pipe dreams if they think that can win. They will increased, but not overtake, bet that

This is my attemp at a half-decent post, put alot of care into it, so I hope you guys appreciate it. Because, I learned alot here, those other forums with the exception of 2 others are................... weird.
    Peace
1-Sony has sold 90 millions of ps2.
2-Playstation is synonymus of videogames for the greater part of gamers
3- ms won't never have success in japan (less then 1000 xbox sold every week....)

Titanio said:
Many of these aren't first parties, and indeed some are working with PS3 (Epic, possibly Bioware at least). Sure, there are exclusive games coming from these studios, but Sony is signing deals of its own (and you got a taste of that at E3).

I just don't think there can be any argument re. Sony's commitment to original content given the numerous original titles announced for PS3 at E3. Be fair.

According to my OXM these companies all comprise Microsoft Game Studios.

Some publishers retained more rights than other, and some are only linked to certain franchises, but the fact remains the majority of titles from these developers will be for the 360. MS didn't pay them good money, and bring them in-house, so they can develop exlusive PS3 games for the competition.

As for Bioware, first of all that's just a rumour! And they will have to finish the 2 X360 RPG's they are makin, plus Dragons Age for OC, before they can even think about a cross-platform game.

I said "almost" all titles from these devs will be 360 exclusive, there will be the odd exception(i.e. UT 2007). But that doesn't change my point, that 360 is lining up a wealth of cool new franchises and I see next to nothing from PS3, except the same old.

Warhawk looks cool, God of War was cool...anything else? Killzone, #1 the first game sucked #2 it wasn't even real gameplay, so I'm really not thate xcited about that.

And what exactly was I supposed to see at E3? I saw an Epic employee get paid what I imagine is a very large sum of money to basically come on stage and tell everyone CELL is a snap to program for. Then he demoed a UT2007-like tech demo. I didn't see any GAMES did you?

I would still like a PS3 fan to answer my question. I just don't see sony having very many AAA exclusives at all, especially compared to the titles 360 seems to be creating. Other than the same old 10-year old franchises I mentioned, what good new games will be PS3 exlusive?

I'm saying this as a fan, I'm wondering why I should bother buying both systems...what games will I need a PS3 to play?

I feel the same way to a certain extent, but I never cared much for Tekken, GTA, MGS or very many other PS franchies. GT is class, but it's only one game. That's just personal taste though.

When you look at things objectively you see that necessity is the mother of invention on consoles. Nintendo doesn't need to innovate for instance, so we generally see the same Zelda game over and over again. Sure you might replace a flute with a wind chime, but it's basically the same game.

Same goes with Sony: Why come up with gazillions of new IPs when the ones you have already sell like crazy. Even still, Sony does try new things like Eye Toy and Gods of War from time to time and we all should respect that.

MS is still somewhat in the position of having to create new IPs to complement what they already have. They still don't have enough million sellers yet. This tends to create the incentive for them to put out things like Jade Empire and Gears of War to see if they'll stick. It's not because MS loves you or anything. It's because they have to. It's business. They need million selling IPs and they've only succeeded with PGR and Halo so far.

360 is lining up a wealth of cool new franchises and I see next to nothing from PS3, except the same old.
Not only you must have watched some very different next gen games announcements than I did, but from what they've made over the past several years, I think there's hardly a company that matches SCE in putting out new ideas/new franchizes. Your statement is actually so ridiculous/trollish that I don't think it deserves a serious response.

I'm saying this as a fan,

You should have started your post by that,i would have spared the effort to read it all.
way to talk like : 'hey ,i'm a fan(B) ,let me tell you how i see life through my blinders !"

marconelly! said:
360 is lining up a wealth of cool new franchises and I see next to nothing from PS3, except the same old.
Not only you must have watched some very different next gen games announcements than I did, but from what they've made over the past several years, I think there's hardly a company that matches SCE in putting out new ideas/new franchizes. Your statement is actually so ridiculous/trollish that I don't think it deserves a serious response.

I don't see how my opinion can be considered trollish, when it's the VERY REASON I sold my PS2 and switched to the XBOX. Lack of quality, original games. I was sick of the 4 big franchises, and other than those few good games they were turning out crap like Red Faction. The exact reason I switched was because of lack of innivation/new franchises.

So quite avoiding the issue. Tell me specific AAA exclusives on the PS3 that I haven't already mentioned. I've named specific games and specific franchises to iluistrate my point for the 360.

Do I have to name them again? Kameo, Jade Empire, Ninja Gaiden, KOTOR, Halo, Forza, PD0, Gears of War, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, all new franchises(except NG), all XBOX exclusive.

So now I'll wait for you to give me a list of good franchises that wil be PS3 exlusive, BESIDES the same old sequels (MGS, GT5 etc).

If PS3 will really have the bext "new ideas/new franchizes" then why is it so hard for you to simply name them?

marconelly! and phil that’s why I seriously didn’t answer scooby’s question yet. I pretty obvious what Sony has done in the past and also obvious with what they have coming in the coming years.

scooby_dooby said:
marconelly! said:

I don't see how my opinion can be considered trollish, when it's the VERY REASON I sold my PS2 and switched to the XBOX. Lack of quality, original games. I was sick of the 4 big franchises, and other than those few good games they were turning out crap like Red Faction. The exact reason I switched was because of lack of innivation/new franchises.

So quite avoiding the issue. Tell me specific AAA exclusives on the PS3 that I haven't already mentioned. I've named specific games and specific franchises to iluistrate my point for the 360.

Do I have to name them again? Kameo, Jade Empire, Ninja Gaiden, KOTOR, Halo, Forza, PD0, Gears of War, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, all new franchises(except NG), all XBOX exclusive.

So now I'll wait for you to give me a list of good franchises that wil be PS3 exlusive, BESIDES the same old sequels (MGS, GT5 etc).

If PS3 will really have the bext "new ideas/new franchizes" then why is it so hard for you to simply name them?

How can you type that out fully knowing that the PS3 isn't coming out for a while? So you expect information on a console thats has a Six month gap between releases to magically come up with a launching lineup/exclusive games? I really don't understand that logic, its as if just because Microsoft does something people feel that Sony has to follow suit and one up them. We can't name any exclusive PS3 games (besides the ones you listed) because the PS3 is still A YEAR AWAY FROM RELEASE which the XBOX 360 is 5-6 MONTHS AWAY FROM RELEASE.

Wait a few more months....or maybe till TGS (Tokyo Game Show) then maybe people can retort your question with actuall Exclusive games..until then stop trying to act like since there is no exclusives (as of now) that Microsoft is somehow has one-uped everyone.....

PS: PS3 is still A YEAR AWAY FROM RELEASE which the XBOX 360 is 5-6 MONTHS AWAY FROM RELEASE.

^^^Just in case you missed it^^^

Point taken, it's not fair to say "Show me PS3 exclusives..', when it's nearly a year away, but at least you can show me good new franchises that exist on the PS2 and will becoming to PS3. So far I'm counting GOd of War....and that's it.

The point is Sony is not keeping up with MS in terms of creating new franchises. All the games I mentioned are new franchises that were created either on the XBOX, o for he 360, they are just to illustrate the new franchises being created.

All you need to do is look at any PS3 messageboard, they're excited about the same 4 games over and over, MGS, DMC, GT5....

But no, you guys must be right...I guess I didn't sell my PS2 for lack of original quality games. It was all in my imagination.

scooby_dooby said:
Whatever, I guess I didn't sell my PS2 for lack of original quality games.

It was all in my imagination.

Wow...your question was about the PS3 and you somehow seemed to have dragged the PS2 into this thread. I've never done this before but I guess I will....

Whatever, I guess I didn't let my XBox collect dust because I was fooled by what was supposed to a the best FPS ever called Halo 2 + many other titles I have no interest in what so ever in.....

Yeah.....actually that was real

I feel icky now. :cry:

Actually my XBox ISN'T getting all moldy somewhere, the honest truth is there aren't many XBox games that appeal to me. I still play Halo 2 from time to time (Online). But guess what Scooby_Doo, just because you don't see any good games that appeal to you on the PS3 lineup...doesn't mean that everyone in the world will follow suit with you opinion.

From now on...whenever I look at your posts I'll remember your recent posts and it will lose all credability.....

Good Day Sir!!!

EDIT: In regards to the revision of the post above (Its good you did that, otherwise you would have looked VERY bias), your claiming that the Sony needs to keep up with the Microsoft as far as new franchises goes...well heres the thing....

I believe Shifty or someone stated this already but....

1. This is Microsofts new system therefor they NEED to create NEW IPs for there system, as apposed to the PS2 which has already had a previous generation console where they SET UP franchises that transfered over to the PS2. So stop trying to make it seem like Microsoft is being inventive with thier new games they had no franchises to begin with...new game franchises don't pop out of thin air.....

2. You better bet your lucky star that Microsoft isn't going to be creating new franchises as much as they did with the Xbox....they created a bunch of franchises that have STICKED with the gamers...so now there going to give them sequels like crazy.

3. I still don't understand why you brought the PS2 into this, I understand that your trying to compare and contrast the two and basically transfer whatever negative you found about the PS2 over to the PS3...but you have to understand this.....SONY DOES NOT HAVE INFLUENCE OVER THIRD PARTY COMPANIES AND REHASHES THEY MAY RELEASE. Just because you may have seen a bunch of games that where coming from the same series (nothing new) doesn't mean it was Sonys fault. They create the medium they don't create the games.

So yeah, I'll just be blunt...you really dislike the PS2....so in that mindset you already came to the conclusion that your really going to hate the PS3, even though you know just about as much as most people on this board about launch titles/exclusive/New Game Titles....

You're right Tsunami but just so he doesn't have an argument anymore I will give him what he wants. I really don't want to do this but oh well.

1. Eyedentify : In it, players will be able to use their headset to vocally command two smokin' hot female agents as they plant bombs, infiltrate places they aren't supposed to go, and perform other secret agent inspired tasks. The cool thing is that the HD-IP camera will allow users to put themselves in the game as well -- projecting their captured image into various designated hotspots.

2. Heavenly Sword : Heavenly Sword is in all actuality a PlayStation 3 exclusive. The most interesting aspect of Heavenly Sword, though, is its complex battle system and enemy behavior. As not only will each enemy employ a number of multifaceted cinematic attacks, but the heroine herself will be able to battle them via an innovative freestyle combat system. This means that not only will the she-ninja be able to swap between multiple sword types and other weapons on the fly, but also be able to engage her foes in one-on-one battles, dozen-enemy skirmishes, or even take on several thousand soldiers at once. Players can expect a state of the art physics system and destructible landscapes as well.

3. I-8 : One of the few PS3 trailers from Sony's E3 press conference that's actually running in real time, I-8 (not the final title, but a codename to represent the fact that it's Insomniac's eighth project) looks like a cross between Call of Duty and DOOM. There are dozens of allied soldiers on the screen at the same time, and plenty of bizarre-looking alien things for them to battle against. Of the stages shown (a village, several forest areas, abandoned roadways), each and every one seems to have some sort of limited environmental destructibility and the end of the trailer boasts a very cool Starship Troopers-like spider creature. Sadly, details outside of the video teaser just don't exist yet.

4. MotorStorm : Though questions swirl about how much footage was in-game and how much was rendered, the trailer itself was still one of the most impressive PS3 displays we've seen. Plus, the fact that the game is 100% PlayStation 3 exclusive is enough to garner even more interest.

As for the gameplay, the teaser hints at some truly vicious off-road racing (which the development team has also confirmed as "brutal"). The environment will play a big role in the progression of a race too, as mud, grit, and oil changing the landscape on a regular basis. What's more is that players can choose whatever vehicles they want and pit them up against whatever opponents they want -- ATVs, dirt bikes, sand rails, monster trucks, tally cars, and a bunch of other unnamed vehicles among them. Expect plenty of horseplay and an absolute disregard for rules.

5. Ni-Oh : Formerly known as Akira Kurosawa's Oni, Ni-Oh is KOEI's first PS3 title and is being described as "the ultimate in historical action." What that actually means is anybody's guess, but given KOEI's history with games like Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, and Crimson Sea, you can bet that Ni-Oh will have lots of guys onscreen with plenty of hacking and slashing to go along with them.

In fact, the official E3 trailer alluded to this very type of gameplay, as the blonde-haired / blue-eyed main character sliced the living crap out dozens of Japanese warriors. Blood was shed and combos were everywhere. The most interesting moments of that teaser, though, were the bizarre bull-like creatures that were fighting against the humans

6. Killzone : Interaction between you and your NPC cohorts, for example, will be a lot more realistic. People will help each other during battle by dragging the injured out of a firefight or by tossing you an extra weapon if you run out of ammo. Characters will be entirely aware of their environment and surroundings too, and they'll even have sophisticated adaptation behaviors that help them respond to problems on the fly. Finally, all of these reactions will be played out emotionally on each of your teammate's faces and the direction of the action will be a lot more cinematic along the way.

But that's not all. A few other gameplay tidbits have been confirmed as well. The progression of each level, for instance, will be completely non-linear and will boast a number of destructible objects and environments. Additionally, users will be able to command a multitude of vehicles through the land, sea, and air, and even be able to customize the specifics of their online play.

7. Two Unnamed Koei games : Confirmed to be in development by Director and Chief Advisor Kou Shibusawa at Sony's E3 press conference, two additional PlayStation 3 titles other than Ni-Oh are currently in production. No details about the pair were given, except that KOEI considers them both "large titles," and that they will present "all new kinds of entertainment." Let the guessing games begin!

Is this good enough? :)

Fafalada said:
No. I don't think you've followed the debate closely enough. I'm saying that software emulation of the PS2 on the PS3 will be harder than the emulation of the PS1 on the PS2. The simple reason being that Sony had hardware do a lot of the work last time and, AFAIK, they don't have that this time around.

Between emulating PS2 and Xbox, I agree neither is trivial. Though I would guess the PS2's greater complexity to make for a harder job.

Shifty Geezer said:
This is another of those degenerating threads :rolleyes:
Well, you don't have to respond. :p

That was one article I found, from a 'professional' website, to show I was making these stories up.
Okay. Fair enough.

And you'd believe MS blindly because Major Nelson made a statement about it? :?
No, I don't. And the thing you quoted was unrelated to your point. If you're going to quote me, please continue whatever debate was in the quote.

Honestly, arguing about BC on PS3 when absolutely no-one has any idea how it's implemented - it's just crazy!
I'm dicussing probabilities of things for the very reason you mentioned: there are no specifics known.

I can name some exclusive AAA games for PS3, but they´re all AAA IMHO, not yours, like the games you named dont appeal to me.
GT, MGS, FF (original), GoW, I8, Ratchet & Clank, Jak, Ico, Wanda, Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, Motorstorm, Tekken, Onimusha, Dragon Quest, Xenosaga, Kingdom Hearts.
See ya!!!

Scooby, I think Johnny makes some good points above. MS is creating new IPs right now because they NEED to. Sony's already got strong relationships with heavy-hitters like Namco and Konami, as well as its own stable of strong franchises, including GT, Jak, Rachet & Clank, Sly Cooper, ICO/Wanda, etc. (And by the way, how dare you disparage my Killzone - I love that game. :) )

Long story short, if you didn't see anything you liked on PS2, there's a good chance PS3 won't trip your trigger, either. But you'll just have to wait and see, because the only people who know what games are coming right now are Sony, and they ain't talkin'.

My advice is go ahead and get your Xbox 360, as it sounds like MS provides many of the games you want to play. You can pick up a PS3 later, if something catches your eye. Personally, I think we're in for some surprises - the wonderful-looking Heavenly Sword being just one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back