Sony confirms plans to launch PS3 in Spring 2006 (U.S.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that Kolgar has it right on the mark. Scooby read his post carefully you could really learn something. Long-lasting titles is not a bad thing.

Read the post. I said close to playable. Close meaning like 2 or 3 months away. Read the post.
Yea and if they had something close to playable they would have shown it . Its better than showing cgi

As for franchises kolgar the problem is there aren't many sony franchises that aren't from 3rd party companys . Not only that but in this busniess thigns can quickly change. Just look at how many people are loving froza and think its better than gta 4 and how it brought new features the players really wanted like online play .

Franchises rise and fall and sometimes rise again . Mario and zelda didn't save the n64 or the gamecube .

scooby_dooby said:
Other than that all I see is the same old stuff, FF, MGS, DMC, GTA, GT...that's the reaosn I sold my Ps2 in the first place, how many Metal gear solid games can you really play?

Looking at IGN's database - looking at first party games from MS and Sony for X360 and PS3 respectively, MS has announced 6, Sony has announced 4 (5 if you include Warhawk, which I think is fair enough - it's certainly not "same old same old"). And MS is launching this year versus next year for PS3.

Looking at the overall announced lineups, 20 out of the 38 announced PS3 titles are originals versus 29 out of 63 for X360 - PS3 has a higher proportion currently (though I do expect that will moderate as more games get announced). But point is...I don't think you have one re. the number of original titles coming for PS3 vs X360.

Except MS game studios uncludes:

- Bioware
- Bizarre
- Bungie
- Epic
- FASA
- Game Republic
- Lionhead
- Mistwalker
- rare
- Q Entertainment

Almost all games coming from any of those developers will be XBOX exclusive.

MKMas, I'm really getting sick of your arrogance. What exactly was i supposed "really learn" from that post. That franchises aren't a bad thing? And you honestly think I don't know that?

The problem is
1 - Many of these franchises will be cross-platform anyways. Sony is losing exclusivity rights to many of their best games.
(i.e. capcom, square, konami, and rockstar all pledging support for 360)

2 - These franchises are seriously showing their age. I was sick of most of them in 2002! Where's the originality?

BTW. I'm still waiting for you to enlighten me on exactlly which AAA exclusives PS3 will have besides the ones I've mentioned. I've named nearly 10 amazing 360 exlcusives, so enlighten me on PS3's line-up cause I just don't see it. What developers will they have exclusively?

Scooby except for rare and bungie those other developers can make publishing deals with other companys , so while the current games may be exclusive sony can bid to get the franchise on thier system

scooby_dooby said:
Except MS game studios uncludes:

- Bioware
- Bizarre
- Bungie
- Epic
- FASA
- Game Republic
- Lionhead
- Mistwalker
- rare
- Q Entertainment

Almost all games coming from any of those developers will be XBOX exclusive.

Many of these aren't first parties, and indeed some are working with PS3 (Epic, possibly Bioware at least). Sure, there are exclusive games coming from these studios, but Sony is signing deals of its own (and you got a taste of that at E3).

I just don't think there can be any argument re. Sony's commitment to original content given the numerous original titles announced for PS3 at E3. Be fair.

TTP said:
Where did I say MS will ship recompiled games?
It's a requirement in your proposed scheme. If MS intends to provide BC for every Xbox game, they're going to have to ship them out on-demand somehow. Did you think MS would just provide new .exe's at launch and then forget about it? I don't really see any support for that.

Shifty Geezer said:
The recompiling statements weren't from there, but other rumours (including MS spokespersons). http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=8996
It's apparent that XB360 doesn't have 'straight forward' BC like PS2 did.
Because of one article? Nelson was responding to that article and calling it crap. You can't base your whole perception of the thing on one questionable article.

But, based on history (what little there is of Sony and MS in the console space!), as Sony have provided improved BC before, I'd say it's a fair assessment that until we have more detailed info on how implemented, there's more chance of you being able to put your old games into PS3 and play them straight out the box with IQ improvements (even just a constant frame rate) then XB360.
Sony did it before, but how? A significant help from the PS1 chip embedded in the Emotion Engine. So unless Sony forgot to mention that there is another chip in PS3 (oops!), they are way behind where they were to provide BC for PS2.

Inane_Dork said:
Sony did it before, but how? A significant help from the PS1 chip embedded in the Emotion Engine. So unless Sony forgot to mention that there is another chip in PS3 (oops!), they are way behind where they were to provide BC for PS2.

The difference being Sony owns the PS2 IPs. MS does not own the Xbox CPU or GPU IPs. That kind of throws a wrinkle into it :?

Acert93 said:
Inane_Dork said:

The difference being Sony owns the PS2 IPs. MS does not own the Xbox CPU or GPU IPs. That kind of throws a wrinkle into it :?

I remember a quote from nvidia saying that the xbox 2 would be bc and they would make sure of it . I wonder if its in the ms contract wit hnvidia ?

So unless Sony forgot to mention that there is another chip in PS3 (oops!), they are way behind where they were to provide BC for PS2.

You have got to be kidding me. Sony has already said that BC is not a problem at all. They have already proved themselves here. So lets just stop with this question mark.

You have got to be kidding me. Sony has already said that BC is not a problem at all. They have already proved themselves here. So lets just stop with this question mark.

Stop jumping to conclusions! Sony is in the SAME boat with PS3/Ps2 backwards compatability that MS is with xbox 360/xbox. They both need to use emulators from what i understand.

Inane_Dork said:
TTP said:
Where did I say MS will ship recompiled games?
It's a requirement in your proposed scheme. If MS intends to provide BC for every Xbox game, they're going to have to ship them out on-demand somehow. Did you think MS would just provide new .exe's at launch and then forget about it? I don't really see any support for that.

I honestly don't know if I should ask you to go back and *carefully* read what I wrote or explain the whole thing again.

Anyway, here is a simplier version for you:

MS will put recompiled .exe's of "the top" Xbox games onto the Xbox 360 HDD.

You put Halo into the Xbox 360 drive. The Xbox 360 OS will say "cool, wonna play some Halo? Gimme a sec", and than it will go searching for the recompiled Halo .exe present on the HDD. If it finds it then "Cool. Enjoy". If it doesn't then "No luck man, can't run this game".

This ^^^^^ doesn't contraddict this:

“We’re not sure where this came from, and is incorrect. At launch, Xbox 360 will be backward compatible with the top Xbox games. Our goal is to have every Xbox game work on Xbox 360. You will NOT need to purchase a new ‘version’ — your original games will work on Xbox 360.â€￾

EDIT: As to how they are gonna "have every Xbox game work on Xbox 360" I assume they will just release new downloadable exe's.

So unless Sony forgot to mention that there is another chip in PS3 (oops!), they are way behind where they were to provide BC for PS2.

So behind indeed that they flat out announced that PS3 is BC with "Over 13.000 titles".

bc5mq.jpg

Microsoft is using emulation of harware. That much has already been explained. They are NOT recompiling/porting exe's as they have never had source code to any xbox games minus the games they created.

This notion of MS supplying new exe's, simplyly isn not logical and needs to stop.

typoEDR said:
Yeah... gosh darn those 3 titles...
I thought it was 12 titles ?

Anyway the point is that sony is going emulation too. The only diffrence really is that they own the ip on the graphics and cpu , ms needs to get the rights from nvidia to do it . But since they are both emulations lets see if either of them gets it 100% correct , it may be a transition period for both where some games have problems running

Coming from GAF

Actual Source unknown.
Link to GAF: http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?p=1473150&posted=1#post1473150

Microsoft Press Briefing
The most important announcement at this event was the demonstration of the Xbox 360, planned for release this holiday season. Company management stated that the Xbox 360 would be backward compatible for “most top selling Xbox gamesâ€, and pledged “support “ for the current generation Xbox “well into 2006â€. Two weeks ago, we noted our concern that the Xbox 360 may not be backward compatible with Xbox software due to a change in graphics processor chipset manufacturers from Nvidia to ATI. In a separate meeting with Microsoft management, we confirmed that the company has agreed to pay a small royalty to Nvidia to allow the Xbox 360’s ATI chipset to emulate the performance of the Nvidia chipset in reading certain Xbox games. For games written in a single layer (management assumes that this is a large percentage of Xbox games), the hardware emulation should perform well.

For games written in multiple layers, a further emulation must be provided. The company intends to create software “patches†(i.e., separate emulation programs) for top-selling Xbox games written in multiple layers, and intends to sell the Xbox 360 with a hard drive that is pre-loaded with these patches. We presume that the majority of Xbox games will be backward compatible, and the company assured us that it intends to add patches should consumer demand warrant such action.

We are less confident about Microsoft’s intentions regarding the current generation Xbox. The company’s pledge of “support†is broad, but we believe that it does not equate to “manufacture†of Xboxes. Rather, we believe that the company has stockpiled a number of Nvidia chipsets, and is prepared to manufacture current generation Xboxes through the end of 2005, and perhaps for a few months beyond. The implications of this are difficult to assess: on the one hand, it is likely that the company will focus all of its marketing efforts on the rollout of the Xbox 360, and phase out the Xbox rapidly, resulting in a rapid ramp in sales of the new hardware; on the other hand, it is possible that Microsoft will be unable to satisfy demand for the 360, and may experience a decline in demand for current generation Xbox software, resulting in lower overall industry sales growth this year. We believe that the latter scenario is likely to occur, and note that it could impact overall industry sales growth by approximately 100 bps in 2005.

One final takeaway: Microsoft did not discuss pricing for the Xbox 360, but assured us in our meeting with management that “neither you nor consumers will be shocked†at the price. This implies to us that the device will be priced below $400, and may possibly be priced at $350. As discussed below, we expect Sony’s entry to be priced higher, potentially providing Microsoft with an additional competitive advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back