PS3 to Launch with no HD?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bummer. What game developers will utilize the HD if it's not standard? Hasn't Sony learned their lesson from PS2?

Oh well, at least it has 6 USB ports, 3 gigabit ethernet ports, 3 different memory card readers, and 2 HDMI outputs.

Shark Sandwich said:
Oh well, at least it has 6 USB ports, 3 gigabit ethernet ports, 3 different memory card readers, and 2 HDMI outputs.

I'd take a hard drive standard in exchange for most of those.

I can see the uses more for media beyond games than games themselves, to be honest. If you want your system to be a "media centre" then, for sure, you'll need a hard disk. For games though...the hard disk in Xbox went very underutilised IMO - custom soundtracks aren't exactly the most creative use of it.

Shark Sandwich said:

Right; but at what cost? Some of these features are down useless to most people. Oh wait...there will be a dubbed version of PS3. :idea: :idea: :idea:

strat_ax said:
Shark Sandwich said:

Right; but at what cost? Some of these features are down useless to most people. Oh wait...there will be a dubbed version of PS3. :idea: :idea: :idea:

i think he was being sarcastic

strat_ax said:
Shark Sandwich said:

I think he was joking when he was listing those as 'consolation prizes.' ;)

Though that SD card reader IS nice! 8)

Alstrong said:
Shark Sandwich said:

Sarcasm! I would definitely take a HD in place of most of those as well.

Alstrong said:
Shark Sandwich said:

Same here, i will NEVER use all those slots. and the double HDMI and all 3 ethernet ports.

I'd much rather prefer a dumbed down PS3 with a standard HD than that Circus they're currently planning to release.

With regard to all the differnet memory card slots the PS3 supports, could you do the same on 360 by pluging in one of those 1 in 8 multicard peripherals which retail for about £5.99 and plug into a USB? Or would software also be required?

Even if it doesn't come standard (which I doubt it won't - the official word is that it's "undecided"), you'd be able to plug any 2.5" HDD in it (any size/price you want) and use it for game saves, media playback/custom soundtrack from it. I don't see the big deal.

london-boy said:
Same here, i will NEVER use all those slots. and the double HDMI and all 3 ethernet ports.

I'd much rather prefer a dumbed down PS3 with a standard HD than that Circus they're currently planning to release.

Well the thing is the inclusion of an HD likely costs them more than the inclusion of the 'circus,' and prevents their future creation of something on the order of a slimline PS2 equivelent; with an HD, that will always be an extra ~$30 or so tacked on to component costs that otherwise go down significantly over time. So I could see from a business angle why they would be so hesitant, since Playstation releases for SCEI really are more ten-year plans than they are five-year plans.

Qroach said:
lol, where did all the people bitching about MS doing that veyr same thing go?

Huh? MS aint doing the same thing so no one was bitching about that.... Unless i've been in a coma for the last month without knowing it... what's the date today?

marconelly! said:
Even if it doesn't come standard (which I doubt it won't - the official word is that it's "undecided"), you'd be able to plug any 2.5" HDD in it (any size/price you want) and use it for game saves, media playback/custom soundtrack from it. I don't see the big deal.

Really? It doesn't have to be Sony-branded?

What are typical prices like?

I may well consolidate all my entertainment media onto one machine with either X360 or PS3, depending on what their functionality is like etc. so I'd be needing a hard disk, a big one preferably ;)

marconelly!, if it doesn't come as standard it won't be supported that the point people are putting across. Further I suspect most people would have said it would have been a big deal if 360 did have one as standard.

Pugger, it will be supported in the same sense that memory stick in PSP is supported for game saves/media playback even though it doesn't come standard with basic PSP pack. Resident user interface will support all the attached media devices (HDD, SD cards, Memory Sticks) and developers will have little to do with that.
One place where developer support will probably be lacking is game caching like some Xbox games are doing, but that kind od support was lacking even on Xbox.

Huh? MS aint doing the same thing so no one was bitching about that.... Unless i've been in a coma for the last month without knowing it... what's the date today?

You don't remember all the people bitching at the prospect of MS "not " including a HD (selling it seperate)?

@marconelly!: True

@QRoach: I think that has more to do with XBox fans being used to something and not wanting to lose it; PS2 fans come from a different angle on it since they never had it in the first place.

Qroach said:

You don't remember all the people bitching at the prospect of MS "not " including a HD (selling it seperate)?

Well most of those were in fact MS fans being disappointed. Sony fans are now bitching about Sony not putting in the HD as standard it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back