What type of texture filtering does metroid prime use?

If you used bilinear sampling without mipmaps, you would get just as much shimmering as point sampling without mipmaps
Not quite - bilinear is also a minification filter. It's true that with large amount of minification it won't help much over point sampling because averaged samples will be too far apart, but in reasonable cases and/or with mipmaps enabled it will give much better results.

BoddoZerg said:
Tagrineth said:
"Linear" filtering (point sampling) is like what you see in old Software 3D games (DOOM, Duke Nukem), and PSX.

Bilinear takes 4 texels and linearly interpolates in two dimensions, which is where the "bi" comes from. Trilinear takes 2 bilinear filtered samples and linearly interpolates them, so you get "tri" linear. "Linear" filtering would imply grabbing two texels and linearly interpolating only once. This is similar to the Xabre's "performance bilinear", which is not bilnear at all but more of "linear" filtering.

Point sampling isn't "linear" or "filtering" anything - it's an unaltered texel taken straight from the texture. There is no filtering or linear anything... dunno where you got the "linear filtering" comment. Also, point sampling in and of itself does not cause the horrible shimmering effects seen in classic DOOM; this is caused by DOOM's lack of mipmaps. Point sampling is only somewhat shimmery, but extremely blocky. If you used bilinear sampling without mipmaps, you would get just as much shimmering as point sampling without mipmaps - but textures would look much smoother up close.

Well, see, here's the thing, the reason I said "Linear" filtering is because... the original post I was responding to asked what was the difference between linear, bilinear, and trilinear filtering! o_O

Notice that I also put point sampling in parentheses right next to it? :-?

And bi- and tri-linear filtering have already been explained twice in this thread. :p

If mipmapping always causes banding when using bilinear then how come some DC games don't have banding like F355 while others like PSO does?

BoddoZerg said:
Tagrineth said:
"Linear" filtering (point sampling) is like what you see in old Software 3D games (DOOM, Duke Nukem), and PSX.

Bilinear takes 4 texels and linearly interpolates in two dimensions, which is where the "bi" comes from. Trilinear takes 2 bilinear filtered samples and linearly interpolates them, so you get "tri" linear. "Linear" filtering would imply grabbing two texels and linearly interpolating only once. This is similar to the Xabre's "performance bilinear", which is not bilnear at all but more of "linear" filtering.

Hey, I was the one with the dumb question, not Tagrineth. :devilish: I just figured that since people used the "bilinear" and "triliner" terms, the one before them would be "linear". I was wrong, evidently. Thanks for the explanations guys.

Back