where does the crossfire launch leave r520

trinibwoy said:
karlotta said:
I wonder if the 110nm Fab for the ATI XL and the NVDA G70 cards will put a crimp in eithers ability to get product to market. They are both on TSMCs 110nm fab?It looks like the first direct competition for the same Fab in years.

I don't think the competition will be that great on 110nm. There will most likely be much higher demand for XL's than top-end G70's anyway. The problem will be at 90nm when both companies entire lines are using the same process.
you think NVDA is going Low_k 90nm at TSMC?

karlotta said:
trinibwoy said:
karlotta said:
I wonder if the 110nm Fab for the ATI XL and the NVDA G70 cards will put a crimp in eithers ability to get product to market. They are both on TSMCs 110nm fab?It looks like the first direct competition for the same Fab in years.

I don't think the competition will be that great on 110nm. There will most likely be much higher demand for XL's than top-end G70's anyway. The problem will be at 90nm when both companies entire lines are using the same process.

No idea :) Is 90nm capacity at TSMC broken up into two different lines - low-k and regular?

trinibwoy said:
karlotta said:
trinibwoy said:
karlotta said:

No idea :) Is 90nm capacity at TSMC broken up into two different lines - low-k and regular?
no

ATI has got to get to something like the SLI presentation as quickly as possible. Selling 10,000 of a sku is nothing. . . selling an *extra* 10,000 of a mid or high end sku is largely gravy, and this is the advantage NV and its partners have over ATI, and a big part of the financial smugness NV has been beating their chest about on SLI. And if ATI and its partners can't make nice margins on their investment, then the product won't survive.

It's really that simple. There have got to be $100's of thousands of dollars extra expense in making/supporting/inventorying/box design/etc a discrete sku vs selling the same additional volume of an existing sku. So dragging that weight around on an inherently small volume proposition is a death penalty in the long-term.

Is it just me or does anyone else find it odd that ATI is actually in the process of making these Crossfire boards based on old technology at the same time as their newer R520? The market is already saturated with R420s. Seems like a waste of funds and time to me, unless they only make enough to satisfy the 1% market that will actually buy these cards, meaning only a couple cards per store, if that.

I don't find it that odd. I think CrossFire was made with R520 in mind, but is used on R480 just because of the fact that it can be used on R480. And also because they needed an answer to SLi out now no matter how small the market. It's all about the performance numbers.

So if they made it with R520 in mind, but also made sure it can be used on "older tech", then I don't think it's a waste of any R&D resources. And it's not like they didn't have any multi-vpu tech inhouse which probably saved them a lot of funds.

Anyway, CrossFire launch leaves R520 in August as things are standing now. ;)

Ya, X-fire, R520 master cards along with R480 and R420 master cards, and they all get cheaper down the line. Got to compete with NV on every front for sure. Have to "Wait-n-See". Many product tests on on the way for sure in the next month... board vendors and ATI master cards matched up with various slaves and pited against the best NV can muster. It just has to be.

trinibwoy said:
Ok, thought you were looking at it as some sort of long-term solution. If you are willing upgrade at any time then you can go for anything :)

Yea I try to upgrade my main PC at least once a year. And I can not get anything as I have to run it via the wife filter (which is usally a no). So I have to make sure that I get some good use on the hardware I buy...

RancidLunchmeat said:
ondaedg said:
I think the one thing alot of us are failing to realize is that the average consumer for the most part do not visit Beyond3d's forums nor have the same level of knowledge that we do in terms of market value for each video card.

Well, that's true, and I mentioned it in one of my long-winded babbles above.

How many people go to a "system builder" with a fist-full of cash and say 'build me the best system'?

Perhaps that market is larger than I think it is, because I normally segment the market into three groups: Those who buy off the shelf, those who build themselves, and those who buy off the shelf but "upgrade".

Point being, I don't see how Crossfire appeals to people outside of those who visit Beyond3d's forums (or something less technical) because those are likely to be the only ones who really understand/are interested/have even heard of Crossfire.

Maybe I'm jumping to incorrect conclusions because there's a segment of the market (those who spend lots of money with system builders) that exists at a level that would be stunning to me.

I use to think the same way as you did in terms of market segments. Here is an experiment, visit a few general purpose forums and frequent their video card section. They generally do not have the same level of understanding as Beyond3d, but they are keen on the basics. It changed my idea of market segments.

CJ said:
I don't find it that odd. I think CrossFire was made with R520 in mind, but is used on R480 just because of the fact that it can be used on R480. And also because they needed an answer to SLi out now no matter how small the market. It's all about the performance numbers.

So if they made it with R520 in mind, but also made sure it can be used on "older tech", then I don't think it's a waste of any R&D resources. And it's not like they didn't have any multi-vpu tech inhouse which probably saved them a lot of funds.

Anyway, CrossFire launch leaves R520 in August as things are standing now. ;)

Well, I guess I never expected them to produce a large amout of these, just enough to satisfy its market and use xfire as advertising against SLi. What I don't get is the people who are questioning xfire's timing coinciding with the R520's. It's not like ATI won't implement xfire in the R520 as well.

ANova said:
Well, I guess I never expected them to produce a large amout of these, just enough to satisfy its market and use xfire as advertising against SLi. What I don't get is the people who are questioning xfire's timing coinciding with the R520's. It's not like ATI won't implement xfire in the R520 as well.
That's why those people aren't questioning CrossFire timing, but R480 CrossFire timing. ;)
But this CrossFire launch is all about mindshare. It doesn't matter how (un)successful these X800/X850 master cards are in the end.

Xmas said:
That's why those people aren't questioning CrossFire timing, but R480 CrossFire timing. ;)
But this CrossFire launch is all about mindshare. It doesn't matter how (un)successful these X800/X850 master cards are in the end.

Precisely. Besides the very minimal sales I would expect from x800/x850 Crossfire, the main purpose is the get it out there and let people know they have something to compete with SLI. I'm sure that's going to make lots of people wait until R520 shows up before going with G70. Hopefully it won't be a long wait as the release dates aren't too far apart.

Xmas said:

Well, isn't mindshare precisely the aim of nV's pugnacious SLI PR campaign?...;)

trinibwoy said:
I still don't get it. :oops:

I have to say that I think that most of the inability to comprehend the various little things I might say from time to time is feigned...;) (At least, I hope that is the case...;))

The feigning of incomprehension is generally a conversational device used to avoid a point made; if you "can't understand" the question or statement, then you're excused from answering or responding, etc.

When I said, "And..yes?" I was asking Ondaedg to explain why it was that he thought the word "pugnacious" was inappropriate. To which he responded, "YEs! What? Who ?"--feigning yet again. Heh...:D

Playing dumb must have its own rewards, I guess, such as "See how clever I am? I'll pretend not to understand what WaltC means so I won't have to respond to it when I respond to it"...;)

It's odd the sensitivity I encounter when using adjectives in relation to nVidia, regardless of how mild they may be. I don't think the word "pugnacious" used to describe a PR campaign is really much of slur, do you? ATi can be just as pugnacious when it wants to be...:D

Back