xbox 360 retailer information

jvd

Banned
http://boards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=88290879&usecoregcookie=1&fromsubscribersendto=1

A 20 gigabyte hard drive is standard, detachable and upgradeable.

The Xbox 360 Component HD AV Cable is an “all-in-oneâ€￾ solution for both Hi-Definition TVs that use component video input and Standard Definition TVs that use composite video input. The Component HD AV Cable provides optimal audio and video signal transfer, so you’ll experience true next-generation gaming. It’s important to note that this is the featured cable that is included with the Xbox 360 console.

The Xbox 360 Headset heightens the experience of the unprecedented online gaming community, Xbox Live, allowing gamers to strategize with teammates, trash-talk opponents or just chat with friends while playing their favorite games. It’s important to note that this headset is included with the Xbox 360 console.

sounds like it comes bundled with a bunch of stuff which is cool esp the hardrive. Hopefully it will hit around 300$ not 360$

Yeah that's a lot of stuff. Anyway I read that MS is going with Intervideo this time instead of Cyberlink for the DVD software decoder.

BTW any word on if Xbox 360 can be hooked up to a computer monitor through a VGA box?

I still think that the 360 and PS3, at least, are going to push what they can sell for and try launching at $400 this time around. Portables have gotten more expensive... why can't consoles? Hehe.

What's the difference between component and DVI/HDMI likely to be, anyway? It seems like most HDTV's only have one HDMI in right now anyway (usually taken up by a cable box), so unless there are OTHER break-out boxes (or splitter/combiner cables that work without degrading signal), many people would have a problem hooking up through it anyway.

All i know is that the difference between VGA and DVI on my 19" LCD monitor is huge. And my Sony HS50 is hooked up to my htpc with a DVI cable and the quality is astounding. So no more analog connections for my please.

A lot of XBox fans are really grating over that issue right now as all the best stuff seems to need to be purchased seperately or not available at all. DVI/HDMI certainly has an advantage of being straight digital connection from the source to destination, while component is a digital to analog to digital converstion plus all the extra cables looks well.....messy. Many, including myself only have one set of component inputs on their tv, so they'll have to be satisfied by S-Video, swap plugs or just getting a new tv. There certainly seems to be a greater burden this gen on the things you need for a proper setup.

PC-Engine said:
Difference is digital vs analog.
Right. But I'm talking side-by-side, general eyeballing difference.

I do think lacking a digital interface is pretty poor for a next-gen console, but I don't know what to expect since I haven't seen a RL comparison of good devices on a good set.

my 19" tft monitor has both vga and dvi (and s-video and video) and i can honestly say there was no real difference in picture quality in my situation. in fact i have another tft right next to it running off the vga from my computer (main screen is currently running off the dvi) and apart from the difference in quality between the screens (my main 19" was pretty expensive) there is no difference in picture sharpness or IQ. (the main screen has better colour richness and contrast, but that's the same whether it's running vga or dvi)

component is capable of displaying VERY good quality pictures - there seems to be something of a misconception in general that analogue can't look as good as digital, but it's nto really the case.

It'd be nice if the x360 supported digital (DVI, HDMI) if only to give more options - a lot of people may even need those connections, not because of IA but because of their TVs inputs being limited. at the moment though they aren't intending to but said "they are open to change if the demand is there" or something to that effect.

rusty said:
my 19" tft monitor has both vga and dvi (and s-video and video) and i can honestly say there was no real difference in picture quality in my situation.

And in my situation, there's a rather large different between dvi and vga. Much sharper picture with DVI.

component is capable of displaying VERY good quality pictures - there seems to be something of a misconception in general that analogue can't look as good as digital, but it's nto really the case.

I would say that in general, analogue doesn't look as good as digital.

... "they are open to change if the demand is there" or something to that effect.

I think it would be a serious mistake not to add a hdmi/dvi interface.

Bjorn said:
And in my situation, there's a rather large different between dvi and vga.
Much sharper picture with DVI.

i know, that's why i was careful to add the "in my situation" ;)

I would say that in general, analogue doesn't look as good as digital
I think it would be a serious mistake not to add a hdmi/dvi interface.

perhaps, but component will still give good picture quality in most circumstances and comparable to digital quality in other cases.

I do however agree that no digital interface is a mistake, especially as the PS3 is supposedly comign with (two) HDMI connections. It is quite ironic that microsoft are the ones who heralded the "HD era" as a big selling point and yet they are neither including digital interface nor a next gen media drive.

ultimately i'm still going to pick up a x360 either way - my 19" has a vga port going spare so i'll probably hook it up to that until i get my mitts on a good 30" or so hdtv... i'd rather it had the option of Digital interfaces though - they are definately set as the future of A/V connections and it would seem like a lack of "future proofing" to ignore it.

I heard that the XBOX 360 is WiFi ready...

I'm a little confused...

Is it out of the box with WiFi or Is it a separate accesory?

I'm a little scared of the term "ready" in electronics... same as HD-TV "ready" Displays where it's not really ready...

it would appear that there is a small wireless adaptor which you have to purchase seperately, and it plugs into the usb port on the back. it's 802.11b,g&a compatible

basically a proprietary wireless dongle...

i'll be sticking with my wireless bridge i already bought methinks

rusty said:
perhaps, but component will still give good picture quality in most circumstances and comparable to digital quality in other cases.

I'd like to get the best possible picture quality if i buy a LCD-TV or a projector for 4000+ $ so that you can get "good picture quality" with component isn't that interesting imo. Especially since the cost for DVI/HDMI must be marginal these days.

No DVI/HDMI means there's no chance of an optical disc upgrade to HD-DVD as some speculated.

Otherwise, the component is more than capable of carrying HD video of games, which doesn't require HDCP as movies and TV shows would.

There are DVI switches which are around $200 or less but not sure if there are HDMI switches.

You would think AV receivers would start to offer some switching of DVI or HDMI but those may start out on the high end models at first.

Back