What was the best REAL game at E3?

blakjedi

Veteran
What with CGI, tech demos etc., and the focus on Next gen, what do you guys think was the best game at E3? I mean of games that were either playable or viewable on working hardware.

I liked Gears of War graphically, but I'm stoked for Zelda GC!

Can anybody argue against The Twilight Princess? :)

I mean, despite there being a load of solid "real" games across the board for all platforms.. Zelda will undoubtedly rank high up there on reputation alone. Nevermind how good the new game looks, gameplay-wise and artistically.

As a PC gamer I was pretty disapointed by the amount of decent looking games at E3. However, the one I'm most looking forward to is 'Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion' (on PC, not XBox ;) ). If I did own a console then I would be getting excited about the new Zelda and Gears Of War.

I don't actually count a game as "real" until it's sitting on store shelves and has the capacity to be judged fully. ANY playable game at E3 can concentrate on one area where the graphics are most beautiful, the gameplay tight and most enjoyable... Heck, just about any game I DO play has at least one board I particularly like, even if the overall effect of the game is boring, repetitive, or unimaginative. And that only gets magnified if you're coming to a game fresh and looking only at that...

There was plenty of stuff to get excited about at E3, but no real way to judge other than "pizzaz."

I was mainly sad to see nothing from Namco x Capcom there. I was rather hoping for at least an intro movie as good as the Disgaea one. ^_^

Zelda, Okami and Shadow of Colossus had me hyped up as much as anything on that show, "next-gen" included. Shadow in particular, even though it clearly has some rough spots to work out. But it's concept, art direction and sense of scale and wonder are what I consider "next-gen" gameplay in the here and now. I just hope the PS2 has a couple punches left to deliver it.

Xeno said:
Battlefield 2...it was playable :oops:

Ditto... and I got my preorder in over a month ago ;)

Zelda looks to continue the stellar success of that franchise also.

Graphically I think Gears of War took the cake, but the game that really grabbed my attention was Spore.

Fodder said:
Graphically I think Gears of War took the cake, but the game that really grabbed my attention was Spore.

YES, how awsome does it sound. It's not going to win anything in the graphics department but I think the scale of Spore is insane.

marconelly! said:
Shadow of the Colossus looks great... may have to get myself a PS2...
You already missed a lot by not playng Ico (not that it's too late, of course) :)
Ico had been and gone by the time I got my PS2. Only hearing about it after Wanda and the Collusus was announced, I went looking, and second hand it cost stupid money :oops: Sony would do well to rerelease it IMO as there's a lot more marketting for the game now then ever there was at it's launch!

I know a lot of people are saying Zelda, but Wind Waker was not a great game, and Nintendo needs to prove to me that they can get back to what they did in OoT.

Shadow of the Colossus is what I'm anticipating most. That, and Quake 4 :oops:

It might be a cop out, but I was elated at seeing the real-time footage of the Madden 360 demo, as well as the footage from the Sega demos. :oops:

As for full-on, legit games - Zelda.

Can't let this post finish without mentioning the MGS4 trailer though. Brilliant. :LOL:

Ozymandis said:
I know a lot of people are saying Zelda, but Wind Waker was not a great game, and Nintendo needs to prove to me that they can get back to what they did in OoT.

Shadow of the Colossus is what I'm anticipating most. That, and Quake 4 :oops:

Wind Waker was a top game! Very fun and playable adventure that can have you playing for ages if you wanted.

I don't see what the big deal is, most people dismissed it cause of it's "cell shaded" visuals, a fun game is a fun game after all. Graphics or no graphics.

Anyway to get back onto topic, I'd also say Zelda and Wanda and Collosus were my top picks.

It seems that all the "real" games were overshadowed by the next-gen explosion.

Kinda sad since we will have to play these games until the next gen comes.

Though i'm sure some people will have lots of fun playing the E3 videos over and over again.

Back