SAMSUNG Introduces First 90-nanometer DRAM. (PS3)

well, can we expect something like this?

the ps2's final clockfreq was higher then the 250mhz they claimed 6months before launch

maybe ps3 will have a higher clock + i dunno bigger memory
it all depents on the $$$

hey69 said:
well, can we expect something like this?

the ps2's final clockfreq was higher then the 250mhz they claimed 6months before launch

maybe ps3 will have a higher clock + i dunno bigger memory
it all depents on the $$$

It does, but 256MB of XDR *as a last-minute bonus* is a bit much.

Personally, i'd rather have higher bandwidth than PS3 has now, rather than double the system memory.

Well...

Moving to 4,8GHz would deliver 38,4GB/s

Moving to 512MB doubling the bus width would deliver 51,2GB/s

Moving to 4,8GHz, 512MB and doubling the bus width would deliver 76,8GB/s

The last option is my favorite :LOL:

Vaan said:
Well...

Moving to 4,8GHz would deliver 38,4GB/s

Moving to 512MB doubling the bus width would deliver 51,2GB/s

Moving to 4,8GHz, 512MB and doubling the bus width would deliver 76,8GB/s

The last option is my favorite :LOL:

I don't get any idea, I just imagine it happening :mrgreen: ¿Wouldn't that be nice

Ok, but is there anything out there that hints we might see something like that?. I thought that it was allready set in stone that PS3 will have 4x512mb chips.
yes it would be nice. :)

The only clue is that now samsung produces better memory, so sony could move and adopt this one to run faster than competitors.

At least 4,8GHz is not unlikely, don't you think? It would give a 50% boost on Bandwidth.

Also they could ship 2 more modules (6 instead of 4. Now they are smaller and cheaper) to make 384MB and 57,6GB/s increasing a 50% the number of bits of the bus. This is more than doubling the bandwidth, but you only need a 50% more memory chips, because they now are faster.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that CELL (as used in the PS3) could only use 4 memory chips at once? Or is that information false?

Mordecaii said:
I thought I remembered reading somewhere that CELL (as used in the PS3) could only use 4 memory chips at once? Or is that information false?
You probably read that, but it's not true. It can use up to 36 memory chips

Nothing of the sort. Samsung have developed this technology for XDRAM. Doesn't mean it'll feature in PS3.

Also PS3's CPU already has direct access to 512 MB RAM, split into 2 banks made up of XDR and DDR

it would be nice to have some more gb/s to share with RSX
You'd actually expect 512XDR AND 256GDDR? :oops:
Or you meant just higher clocked XDR?

Anyway how about if they just made both pools XDR, the bandwith wouldn't be much higher(well perhaps they could clock one of the pools higher for that too) but surely it would be cheaper in the long run to have single Ram type in there...

Fafalada said:
You'd actually expect 512XDR AND 256GDDR? :oops:
Or you meant just higher clocked XDR?
higher clock, it should be cheaper than more (slower) modules

Personally, i'd rather have higher bandwidth than PS3 has now, rather than double the system memory.
That either means higher RAM clocks or more controller channels (you have two 32-bit controllers to a CELL). Either way, it's a lot to ask.

You probably read that, but it's not true. It can use up to 36 memory chips
I was under the impression that XDR can go down to x1 (1-bit per cycle) DRAMs, which would make it 72. With two 32-bit controllers per CELL, that's 72 devices (64 data and 8 ECC). I believe at x8 and up, though, the ECC portion is on the DRAM devices, so you don't need extra devices for that.

Back