Apple to use Intel chips.

karlotta said:
Fox5, Tiger doesnt run DX, its a OGL platform. How does Tiger/apple even think they can compete with Windows. It will be a nich group who use dual boot.. If this works out to be true, What does this say about the road map at IBM for powerPCs? I guess all the IBM fabs are full with Cell and Xbox360s. Apple needs a new supply. Or are they going to make both, a Apple X86 and a Apple PowerPC?

Same way Apple always competed with Windows and PCs? People will still feel apple software is superior.

And don't the requirements for a 3d accelerated desktop on Tiger roughly correspond with what Longhorn requires?

On the one hand, you'd think AMD would be a perfect fit for Apple's image. OTOH, it wouldn't be too out of character for Apple to go for an all-Pentium-M lineup, especially if Intel is headed in that direction. And Intel probably has more manufacturing capability than AMD.

But, man, the Athlon 64 is just kicking the P4's ass all over the place. It'd be a pity for AMD to have lost out over the platform.

Everyone is thinking Pentium when Intel is mentioned but I wonder if this could be an iteration of Itanium on the desktop. Its worth considering. I don't know if the Itanium processer would require less work to port to than x86 but.... :?:

Intel has x86, x86-64, XScale, Itanium and Alpha.

My take is that the news agencies got their facts wrongs and this is for embedded devices.

lopri said:
I'm 99% positive saying "IT WON'T HAPPEN". Apple is a hardware company in the end - In other words, they make money off the hardware, not the software. In that sense,

1) They can't compete with Dell et al. with their current strategy (where their money comes from selling pretty hardware equipped with pretty software). If they let OS X run on generic x86 hardware, everyone except the true f****** would go ahead and buy cheap machines/components and would just install OS X from a bootleg CD.

2) As much as I respect OS X's beuaty (technically & esthetically), it should be remembered it's within the boundary of extremely limited numbers of hardware. Umm.. Do you really think Apple can handle the near-unlimited numbers of hardware/software combination that exist outside?

Yeah, assuming that x86 == PC is wrong. The XBox is powered by an x86 processor, how many people run the XBox operating system on their PC?

Apple could quite easily produce a closed-platform x86-based system. Driver support is a non-issue, they only need to produce drivers for hardware that they sell (that in itself would pretty much prevent anyone trying to run OS X on a Dell).

Folks seem to be assuming that Apple will end up competing with Dell on the hardware and Microsoft on the software, but if they play their cards right than that won't be the case. Apple sell a hardware + software package, and people buy that package because they like both elements (neatly packaged hardware, a pretty-looking OS). They don't buy Apple because of what CPU it runs on (well most don't anyway). Honestly the switch to x86 really don't change that equation.

Apple is most definately profiting off of their software - in fact it's where they generate most of their income. Especially with all of this 'digital hub' software.

I think the main purpose of this switch is to create a faster Powerbook. Currently, the G5 is to hot to put in one and at the same time, it is needed the most. The Powerbook just can't compete with a G4 anymore and Apple has held out as long as they can. I think this switch to Intel just proves that the G5 was not going to be ready to go mobile any time soon.

Also, I think Apple's worst fears were realized when they had to start water-cooling the G5 chips at 2.5 GHz. It looks like there's not to much headroom left and they were supposed to have hit 3 GHz last summer.

x86 processors on a Mac have been rumored many many many times before, but I think the predictions are correct this time.

It's official... according to numerous irq channels Steve Jobs himself confirmed it minutes ago...

Yep. Confirmed from the horse's mouth.

Reasoning as stated by Jobs:

- Intel offers more performance per watt.
- Stagnation in the PowerPC arch. No roadmap for the future.
- All version of OS X have been secretly built for Intel chips alongside PowerPC versions -- it's cross-platform by design.
- APIs will more or less remain the same. Apps will only need 'tweaking' and a recompile.
- Rosetta is a dynamic binary translator. Current PowerPC apps will be able to run on Intel chips transparently. Performance is 'pretty fast'.
- During the transition, apps will be delivered as 'universal binaries' which will run natively on PowerPC or Intel. Similar to the old 'fat binaries' during the 680x0 -> PowerPC transition, I assume.

I wonder will it run on any x86 PC or will they have some custom parts so they can still charge an arm and a leg for hardware. If I was them I would let it run on any x86 PC and go head to head with microsoft.

Brimstone said:
Linux + CELL is far more intresting these days imho.

I agree, but linux still lacks in alot of places and is not very desktop friendly, for the comon user, and I think cell will just add more complexity

I know they said the cell will be in worstations and severs are they even making it available for the home desktop market

pegisys said:
I wonder will it run on any x86 PC or will they have some custom parts so they can still charge an arm and a leg for hardware. If I was them I would let it run on any x86 PC and go head to head with microsoft.

True... the statement that for the past five years they have compiled OS X for X86 could mean that it will run, including drivers, on an off-the-shelf bread-and-butter X86 motherboard.

Hmm... let's hope they won't put code in like:

if (CPUID != "Intel" && CPUID == "AMD")
{
fprintf (stderr, "We're sorry, but buy Intel next time")
}
else
{
// Steve is god
_intel_enable_amd64_instruction_set();
}

;-)

According to Apple, MacOSX will only run on Apple hardware. (Whether this can change is an open question, but that's what the horses mouth is saying right now.)

Apple will want to continue as they have by offering a complete package - hardware, OS, core software, and is unlikely to be interested in having to deal with the cruftier aspects of the Wintellian environment. And why should they, they have no reason to support any Wintel legacy technology, software or hardware.

This quote should clarify:
After Jobs' presentation, Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller addressed the issue of running Windows on Macs, saying there are no plans to sell or support Windows on an Intel-based Mac. "That doesn't preclude someone from running it on a Mac. They probably will," he said. "We won't do anything to preclude that."
However, Schiller said the company does not plan to let people run Mac OS X on other computer makers' hardware. "We will not allow running Mac OS X on anything other than an Apple Mac," he said.

Here is the keynote :

http://www4.macnn.com/macnn/wwdc/05/

I however really love the quote from none other Peter Glaskowsky :

" “It’s a bunch of bull,â€￾ Peter Glaskowsky, analyst for The Envisioneering Group, in Seaford, N.Y., told Ziff Davis Internet News. “Firstly, Apple certainly pays much less for IBM and Freescale processors than Intel charges for comparable chips. Probably less than half as much on average. The G5 is a smaller, more efficient chip than the Pentium 4, and IBM has no other customers willing to buy large quantities.â€￾

http://daringfireball.net/2005/06/intel_apple_odds_and_ends

So don't mind what you read , Steve Jobs is wrong ! Glaskowsky pwnz Jobs
:)

Cowboy X said:
Here is the keynote :

http://www4.macnn.com/macnn/wwdc/05/

I however really love the quote from none other Peter Glaskowsky :

" “It’s a bunch of bull,â€￾ Peter Glaskowsky, analyst for The Envisioneering Group, in Seaford, N.Y., told Ziff Davis Internet News. “Firstly, Apple certainly pays much less for IBM and Freescale processors than Intel charges for comparable chips. Probably less than half as much on average. The G5 is a smaller, more efficient chip than the Pentium 4, and IBM has no other customers willing to buy large quantities.â€￾

http://daringfireball.net/2005/06/intel_apple_odds_and_ends

So don't mind what you read , Steve Jobs is wrong ! Glaskowsky pwnz Jobs
:)

The G5 probably is cheaper to produce, but how does he know how much IBM sells it for? x86 chips are much much higher margin, and that could drive prices down.(certainly apple products aren't cheap, so if they're getting a good deal they don't pass it on to the consumer)

Back