Must read books

Last few I read (and there are very few I ever finish, even less I get past the first chapter, but I only count "read" as finished)

"A brief history of nearly everything" - bill bryson
Great for filling in those knowledge gaps you might have in an interesting bill bryson type of way.

"America's Secret war" - George Friedman
An absolute must read before you even consider debating middle east style

"Think and Grow Rich"- Napelon Hill
The classic of all classics on a positive attitude. Describes basic things in grand scales with excellent examples of how people have used positive attirbutes to their advantage. A little tedious in some chapters, but by far the best book I've ever read.

Well, I've just had the following books delivered:

Cowl by Neal Asher
Newton's Wake by Ken MacLeod
Felaheen by Jon Courtenay Grimwood
Singularity Sky by Charles Stross
Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett

I can't say what they're like as yet obviously! ;)

london-boy said:
I bought 2 books yesterday, "May Contain Nuts" and "Flowers for Algernon".

Started "nuts" and it's the funniest book i've ever read, if you're a brit, or even if you're not, you HAVE to read this. ;)

Funniest non-fiction I ever read is David Niven's THE MOONS A BALLOON. Also pretty good for the history of Hollywood, so a two-fer.

geo said:
Btw, all you need to know about the connection between Brust and Zelazny is that Brust named his son "Corwin".
:LOL:

Really? That's great! My wife wouldn't name our son Vladd.... ;)

BTW-It's the late Zelazny, he passed away a few years ago. :(

DiGuru said:
The Uplift series - David Brin

Is this anything like "Earth"? I'm asking because someone recommended me Earth a while ago, and while the premise and several of the ideas in the book were interesting, the book itself I found utterly boooooooring.

Snyder said:
DiGuru said:

Is this anything like "Earth"? I'm asking because someone recommended me Earth a while ago, and while the premise and several of the ideas in the book were interesting, the book itself I found utterly boooooooring.

I agree, I never finished that one. But the series are really good.

Like the newest books by Terry Pratchett aren't funny anymore, but his older ones are all great to read.

Btw. If anyone hasn't read "A fire upon the deep" and "Snow Crash" yet, you really should.

Weber! 'Science as a vocation', 'Politics as a vocation', and 'The objectivity of social science' are all great, classic texts. Although I guess you'd have to have some sort of interest in methodology to find them interesting, hehe.

DiGuru said:
Snyder said:
DiGuru said:

I agree, I never finished that one. But the series are really good.

Ah, that's good to hear. Maybe I'll give Uplift a try.
Although...

Like the newest books by Terry Pratchett aren't funny anymore, but his older ones are all great to read.

...I strongly have to disagree with that.(Mild spoilers might follow)
With the exception of Monstrous Regiment which indeed was quite weak (sorry Mariner ;) ), his later books contain some of his best IMO, especially Thief of Time and Nightwatch (which both are my Discworld favorites). Sure, the lighthearted fun of early books is not as prominent as in his early works (although he still can do it - take the Auditors-turned-human in ToT), but Pratchett got better at what he does best: great stories, great characters and a way of commenting about human nature that's just unique.

Snyder said:
...I strongly have to disagree with that.(Mild spoilers might follow)
With the exception of Monstrous Regiment which indeed was quite weak (sorry Mariner ;) ), his later books contain some of his best IMO, especially Thief of Time and Nightwatch (which both are my Discworld favorites). Sure, the lighthearted fun of early books is not as prominent as in his early works (although he still can do it - take the Auditors-turned-human in ToT), but Pratchett got better at what he does best: great stories, great characters and a way of commenting about human nature that's just unique.

Going postal is not very good, I think. And I didn't like Monstrous regiment very much. The Wee Free Men and A hat full of sky (although intended for a younger audience) are very nice.

But yes, the latest ones are mostly more serious and heavy. Except for Going postal and Monstrous regiment, I think they're good but different. They just aren't as (light-heartedly) funny as the earlier ones.

Slaughter House 5 - Kurt Vonnegut

Catch 22 - Joseph Heller

Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole

For Science Fiction try anything from Robert A. Heinlein eg Stranger In A Strange Land.

I'd also read Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead, and Atlas Shrugged, just to know what all the fuss is about (both good and bad, mostly bad).

Dicken's Great Expectations - Something about this book, it was shockingly good.

Everyone is giving a lot of good suggestions. Might have to print this thread off.

Catch 22
The Crucible

I'm reading popcorn fiction at the moment though - Clive Cussler. :D

digitalwanderer said:
geo said:
Btw, all you need to know about the connection between Brust and Zelazny is that Brust named his son "Corwin".
:LOL:

Really? That's great! My wife wouldn't name our son Vladd.... ;)

BTW-It's the late Zelazny, he passed away a few years ago. :(

Yah, made a contribution to the SFWA medical fund in his name when it happened. A worthy cause I reccomend to everyone. Fame does not always go with Fortune, tho some of the top names are relatively well off.

MuFu said:
Catch 22
The Crucible

I'm reading popcorn fiction at the moment though - Clive Cussler. :D

I call those "mental bubblegum". But early Dirk Pitt is great stuff along those lines. :) Robert Ludlum too.

Snyder said:
With the exception of Monstrous Regiment which indeed was quite weak (sorry Mariner ;) )

Aw, crap. :cry:

Oh well, I'll give it a read and I'm sure I'll still enjoy it.

I can confirm that the Uplift series of books are very good but try to read them in the order in which they are written. I thought the final few in the series weren't quite as good as the earlier books (as is often the case). Brin is generally a very good author and books by him I can also recommend are Heart of the Comet and, more recently, Kil'n People.

As for Pratchett, I'd recommend the book he wrote with Neil Gaiman entitled Good Omens. Very funny. Another book written by Gaiman which I also enjoyed is American Gods.

Back